Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

6 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I've had that exact scenario twice this summer on long-distance journeys (3-4 hours): over-crowding due to number of carriages reduced from 8 to 4.

Made it a hellish experience both times

No explanation of the reduction was given either time - and it wasn't around strike days, so that wasn't the issue. Presumably nothing to do with short-staffing either, as a 4-carriage train still needs a driver.

I can only think that it somehow saves the company costs, thereby improving profit margins: less maintenance work or labour attaching carriages? lower fuel costs to haul 4 rather than 8 carriages?

Absolute piss-takers.

Were you hanging on to the outside of the carriage or sitting on the roof?

General Electric in $2.6bn Indian railway deal - BBC News

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stadt said:

Ryanair is great, fantastically cheap flights and they’ve made air travel affordable for many who’d otherwise struggle to afford it. 

They are a budget airline, it’s no frills, occasionally the customer service isn’t grear but I’ve never found non-budget airlines better for short haul.

Absolutely. The people who moan, but haven't complied with the terms of their booking really wind me up. 

• Like 2

eGates at airports. Landed at East Midlands last night and the queue was massive for the eGates. Within an hour 12 flights landed and there were only 3 eGates in operation (2 weren’t working). Only families could go through via the old fashioned human way. I’m all for technology but using technology when the customer suffers in terms of waiting time increases is poor. At least put at least 10/15 gates in. 

• Like 1

Fly-tippers using a natural burial ground car park really are the absolute pits, especially when there's a free recycling centre only a mile or so away. Today, there was a funeral/burial at the burial site near here, which took place only a day after some pond-life had decided that they'd dump their rubbish in its car park. Have they ever considered how they'd like it if they were saying goodbye to loved one of theirs in such circumstances?    

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

18 - 25 banter lads that end almost every sentence with 'to be fair'.

Overheard at the gym -

1 - 'watched the rugby last night to be fair'

2 - 'Oh, fair play'

3 - 'Japan were excellent to be fair'

I do not understand it. Why is everything fair?

It isn't and when they hit 26 they will find this out.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Overheard at the gym -

2 - 'Oh, fair play'

I'm definitely not in that demographic and I'm guilty of that.... :unsure:

9 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Overheard at the gym -

2 - 'Oh, fair play'

Whats a banter lad?

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

That particular demographic of young males for whom banter is the social fulcrum of existence.

The Archbishop of Banterbury crowd. Bantersaurus Rex's. The Hugh Bants in Bantgali Nights.

To be fair.

To be fair I'd never heard of the term.

The annoying little pr1ck, who having seen me coming this morning decides to cross the road anyway, and then has the teremity to respond with arms an outstretched 'woooot?' when I beeped my horn at him.

There was just about time for him to cross if he hurried, but he saw me coming, stepped out into the road anyway, and strolled across the road without a care in the world, if anything slower than normal walking pace, forcing me to come to a complete stop. Done no doubt to show off to the 2 girls he was walking to college with. Well, let me tell you pal, no amount of showing off will make either of those girls interested in you, and the sh1tty blue vape doesn't make you look as cool as you think it does.

This didn't actually grind my gears all that much, despite the tone of the above, but just served to remind me how much I hate the attitudes of so much of the general public.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66803279

Ah, some powerful tosser who clearly enjoys viewing other people as things willing to say the quiet part out loud, then.

The takeaway for me: join a union and oppose the criminalisation of protest. I'm lucky my employer has been very good in the 11 years I've been with them but I do wish I had a union in my industry.

• Like 3

On 11/09/2023 at 14:45, StanSP said:

Just read the phrase 'circle back' in an email and now it's ruined my day. 

I used this exact phrase in a meeting today, but then I didn’t - thus leaving the circle forever incomplete.

What are the consequences of this?

• Haha 1