Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 09/10/2023 at 19:55, Wymsey said:

Classic songs being ruined by new artists, who use them in a a different style of music.

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

One the other hand, I'd prefer if people are to cover songs to put their own spin on it. No point in releasing exactly the same song as the original.

:thumbup:

14 minutes ago, Parafox said:

One of the best covers ever recorded.

The words fit my daughter's situation perfectly. Makes me emotional every time I hear it.

Often think the songwriters don't get enough public credit if not also performing their own song. Hopefully  the money from the royalties helps

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

One of the best covers ever recorded.

The words fit my daughter's situation perfectly. Makes me emotional every time I hear it.

What an absolute brilliant song and video. It was like an epitaph to Johnny Cash’s life. 

I'm more offended by the use of good songs in shitty ways on adverts. Push the Feeling On is an excellent song now reduced to "WE BUY ANY CARRR!!" and the Godawful airy females butchering Praise You and others on bank commercials.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Corky said:

I'm more offended by the use of good songs in shitty ways on adverts. Push the Feeling On is an excellent song now reduced to "WE BUY ANY CARRR!!" and the Godawful airy females butchering Praise You and others on bank commercials.

Probably a good reason for a writer to retain ownership of their music. Of course some may be happy to rake in extra money from adverts

Got accosted by a gamekeeper.

"Haven't you seen the signs?"

"What signs?"

"You've seen the signs!"

"The one about 'No Motorbikes'? I'm not riding a motorbike."

"No, the one about putting your uncontrolled dogs on a lead," he gruffly states, pointing at my perfectly behaved pair sitting by my feet, having come to call when I saw his pick-up approaching.

Thirteen years I've been walking and running my dogs at the disused airfield. Thirteen event-free years, rarely encountering anyone. But, according to him, I can't do this now because some guy's dog attacked his pheasants (because the gamekeeper placed their feeder at the side of a footpath rather than off by some publicly  inaccessible part of his farm).

The Countryside Code states: "On Open Access land and at the coast, you must put your dog on a lead around livestock. Between 1 March and 31 July, you must have your dog on a lead on Open Access land, even if there is no livestock on the land."

Pheasants, once released to the wild, are considered wildlife - not livestock. There are almost no livestock farms around us and we avoid them. This is arable country.

I know I can continue to legally take my dogs there off the lead but I just can't be hacked to have the inevitable al fresco heated debate.

Given this is one of the farms that have salted verges with nails and cost me a fortune in new tyres, I reckon I did pretty well not to get arsey with him.

Fvcking farmers.

LZPDJIz6arML.gif

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Corky said:

The worst offender has got to be AO

17 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Gamekeepers are the biggest bunch of hypocritical ar*eholes around, indiscriminately , and illegally shooting and laying poison baits for birds of prey. They have almost wiped out the breeding hen harrier population of England. Almost every satellite tagged raptor, including golden eagles, that has unaccountably disappeared has done so over grouse moors. Even though all birds of prey are protected species the number of prosecutions is pitiful because the majority of the shooting brigade, and especially the estate owners, are all upper class with friends in high places.

Not going to get any arguments here

On 11/10/2023 at 12:45, Facecloth said:

One the other hand, I'd prefer if people are to cover songs to put their own spin on it. No point in releasing exactly the same song as the original.

Would rep this x1000.

Furthermore, artist that do cover versions of cover versions that sound like the cover version (UB40 and Marilyn Manson spring to mind), cos they're so musically uneducated, they think that's the original.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, urban fox said:

Gamekeepers are the biggest bunch of hypocritical ar*eholes around, indiscriminately , and illegally shooting and laying poison baits for birds of prey. They have almost wiped out the breeding hen harrier population of England. Almost every satellite tagged raptor, including golden eagles, that has unaccountably disappeared has done so over grouse moors. Even though all birds of prey are protected species the number of prosecutions is pitiful because the majority of the shooting brigade, and especially the estate owners, are all upper class with friends in high places.

In good news, I read that the water companies who own a number of moors are choosing not to renew shooting leases.  Which is great news!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Would rep this x1000.

Furthermore, artist that do cover versions of cover versions that sound like the cover version (UB40 and Marilyn Manson spring to mind), cos they're so musically uneducated, they think that's the original.

Yes successful professional musicians are well known to be musically uneducated.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:45, Facecloth said:

Agree entirely, and I made this same point in the covers thread. 

9 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Would rep this x1000.

Again, couldn't agree more. And even if it does have similar arrangement - at the very least put your own mark on it in terms of the performance. 

Sometimes though, it's superbly executed but completely loses the essence and the nuanced meanings/artistic intent of the original. Look no further than Jeff Buckley's obligatory rendition of 'Hallelujah' which may as well have been done by James Blunt.  

I really don't like Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt' at all though. Where I appreciate that Rick Rubin who introduced him to the song and cleverly reconceived/reimagined it to fit 'brand man in black', there are some songs that simply shouldn't be removed from their original context. It sits so perfectly as the culmination to the 'Downward Spiral' it is a crime to remove it. Upon first learning about it Trent Reznor was flattered but there was no indication that it would be recorded. He said it was this other person inhabiting his most personal song. Knowing where he was when he wrote it, what he was thinking about - the emotions, the circumstances and the shame. He said hearing it was like someone kissing your girlfriend and that it felt invasive. However, the moving video made it all fall into place for him and at that point, it made sense as a powerful piece of art. I think that the popularity and mainstream appeal of this particular cover was very much through the visual impact of the release as opposed to the cover itself. 

• Like 1

Supermarkets with two rows of self scanners, only one of which accepts cash payments. If you're waiting to use one of those, someone in the queue of payers behind you is likely to start moaning when you don't move forward to use one of the card only machines instead, if that becomes vacant first. Yesterday, I got a right load abuse from a guy because of this. These shops maybe need to have lines on the floor to usher shoppers into the correct queue, to avoid this issue, even if there is a shop assistant hovering nearby to help out.     

5 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Supermarkets with two rows of self scanners, only one of which accepts cash payments. If you're waiting to use one of those, someone in the queue of payers behind you is likely to start moaning when you don't move forward to use one of the card only machines instead, if that becomes vacant first. Yesterday, I got a right load abuse from a guy because of this. These shops maybe need to have lines on the floor to usher shoppers into the correct queue, to avoid this issue, even if there is a shop assistant hovering nearby to help out.     

My 70 year old mum has a contactless card nowadays. Paying for stuff with cash is for last resorts. 

• Like 2