Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 21/10/2023 at 16:09, Langston said:

Will say it now as they roll in for Bobby Charlton as it's the most in the head instance – but I *loathe* any instance of someone sending condolences with a caveat that they almost shouldn't? Already seen a few "I'm a Liverpool supporter but..." – get over yourselves, nobody cares who you support. If you have to, just be normal and send sympathies without making it about yourself to begin with.

Followed no doubt by the standard reply: "Rivalry aside, class gesture from a [Team X] fan."

• Like 1

Guest Sideshow Faes

Something that's bothered me for a long time now. 

Football fans all think their club is the best and they have the best songs etc.

But 90% of the songs sung by most teams are exactly the same tunes with just different words. There's not much more than a handful of key tunes used over and over again. 

Does my head in. Be original. 

Edited by Sideshow Faes

2 hours ago, Langston said:

Definitely irrational but he's been with us nearly 7 years and more than a few people are still putting an apostrophe in Ndidi.

There's plenty of people that think Maguire is spelt McGuire despite him playing for us for 2 years, before moving to the biggest club in England for a world record fee and having his name plastered everywhere. He's also been an England starter that whole time and regardless of form or playing time is probably one of the most famous players in England.

• Like 1

On 21/10/2023 at 16:09, Langston said:

Will say it now as they roll in for Bobby Charlton as it's the most in the head instance – but I *loathe* any instance of someone sending condolences with a caveat that they almost shouldn't? Already seen a few "I'm a Liverpool supporter but..." – get over yourselves, nobody cares who you support. If you have to, just be normal and send sympathies without making it about yourself to begin with.

I find its usually a way to fish for likes on the socials

51 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

When footballers say "people don't understand" to regular occurrences like how nervy it is moving clubs and meeting new people, as if us normal folk sit in small boxes all week and only leave to watch them kick a ball

I think there are a few that do, judging from comments on here/social media :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, martyn said:

Referees playing the advantage even if the more advantageous outcome following the foul would have been the free kick.

Happened countless times on Tuesday.

In rugby, you can just tell the ref you don't want the advantage and he'll stop play. Should be an option in football. I suppose in theory you could just immediately boot the ball out for a throw in so it's obvious you want the free kick instead but there are probably still refs that would say "well I gave you advantage and you wasted it!" like a tit. 

The BBC outing Sturgeon for deleting her covid WhatsApp messages when they themselves towed the party line and were in the government’s pockets through the whole of the epidemic.

I cannot remember one program on the BBC which challenged the government’s policy, no panorama etc 

Rightly or wrongly both sides of the argument should of been allowed to be heard on our National government funded broadcaster. 

3 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

The BBC outing Sturgeon for deleting her covid WhatsApp messages when they themselves towed the party line and were in the government’s pockets through the whole of the epidemic.

I cannot remember one program on the BBC which challenged the government’s policy, no panorama etc 

Rightly or wrongly both sides of the argument should of been allowed to be heard on our National government funded broadcaster. 

Would agree in principle, but a caveat that I think is necessary: there is a marked difference between hearing "both sides" regarding government policy based and contingent on scientific events, and doing the same regarding the scientific events themselves and their consequences. There's rather too much of the latter happening, and it has very real consequences of its own.

• Like 1

Overheard a conservation earlier about mental health.

Someone said to a friend in a cafe that it's good for people to talk about their problems; the person they were talking to replied "Yeah, but they should understand that there's a lot of people in this world with much worse problems than them".

It just riled me internally listening to that response, as if they were being ignorant towards the topic.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Someone said to a friend in a cafe that it's good for people to talk about their problems; the person they were talking to replied "Yeah, but they should understand that there's a lot of people in this world with much worse problems than them".

It just riled me internally listening to tbat response, as if they were being ignorant towards the topic.

Yeah.

Sometimes giving a person some perspective is necessary. A lot of the time, it isn't and does come from a place of ignorance - whether wilful or not.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

It just riled me internally listening to tbat response, as if they were being ignorant towards the topic.

Yep.

There are a lot of people in the world with much worse problems, but that doesn't mean the problems linked to that individual are any less worse to themselves. And that individual might not be able to do anything about people with much worse problems.

It's a pretty counter-intuitive way of thinking.

• Like 2

On 29/10/2023 at 23:12, Wymsey said:

It just riled me internally listening to that response, as if they were being ignorant towards the topic.

It comes back to the idea that you can somehow control your mental health in a way that you cannot with your physical health.  No one would say ah yes its terrible they have cancer, but they have to remember some people have already died of cancer.

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

"Reaction" content. Although maybe I should put "content" in quote marks too. 

I swear 90% of YouTube and social media now is just clips of extremely unfunny chavs and Americans recording themselves watching or playing actual artist's content, having staged as fvck over reactions and just posting it. 

Why is this funny or interesting? Who wants to watch this narcissistic, main character syndrome rubbish? Why is it so succesful? 

It's probably the worst trend to stick around this long. 

It was far better in my day when we just filmed ourselves eating washing powder on toast on Super8

• Haha 1

Insurance companies are a bunch of c0cks, Pt.23

Want to change my policy to the bike I'm getting delivered on Thursday. Was told yesterday I'd have a text by the evening advising me to contact and discover the price to change.

Called today to be told it will take them another 48hrs.

1. I'll then be in possession of an uninsured bike

2. I got an instant price from the company from a popular comparison website.

You'd a thunk that they could use some of their bi££ions of profit to join the physical departments up with the eCommerce.

On 29/10/2023 at 21:12, Wymsey said:

I always think when someone says "there's always someone worse off than you", there must be one person, somewhere in the world, for whom that statement isn't true.

Poor soul :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

"Reaction" content. Although maybe I should put "content" in quote marks too. 

I swear 90% of YouTube and social media now is just clips of extremely unfunny chavs and Americans recording themselves watching or playing actual artist's content, having staged as fvck over reactions and just posting it. 

Why is this funny or interesting? Who wants to watch this narcissistic, main character syndrome rubbish? Why is it so succesful? 

It's probably the worst trend to stick around this long. 

On top of that, "watch alongs"

Why would I want to watch a person with probably the same knowledge as me watch something I either can't watch or where I'm either in front or behind of the stream

• Like 1