Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

The Asda Christmas adverts with Michael Buble in. They are so crap.

It feels like Asda's marketing department were so shocked that he actually agreed to do their adverts that they didn't know what to do with him. You can also kind of see it in his eyes that he's wondering why tf he agreed to do them as well. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

It feels like Asda's marketing department were so shocked that he actually agreed to do their adverts that they didn't know what to do with him. You can also kind of see it in his eyes that he's wondering why tf he agreed to do them as well. 

Wasn't it Asda that did the Christmas advert using footage of Will Ferrell in Elf? Either way, that was one of the crappest things I've ever seen

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

It's an ASDA Christmas advert. Were you expecting Citizen Kane or something?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kingkisnorbo said:

It's an ASDA Christmas advert. Were you expecting Citizen Kane or something?

lol

Tbf yeah I get your point. But considering they are one of the big boy supermarkets who are rinsing people during a cost of living 'crisis', if you're then going to splooge a wad on Buble for your adverts at least make them funny or entertaining. For some reason they ground (is that the right word?) my gears so I came here to vent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Estate agents saying we didn't leave the property "clean". Then double checking if we used a cleaning company, so obviously it was a high enough standard for them to ask? 

Looking forward to them docking my deposit, I've read up on the challenge procedures 

Yes, I will be in the situ as you in a couple of months. Hopefully you get most of yours back and can challenge any piss-taking.  We have  already been asked to fill in any holes in the wall caused by hanging pictures, even though they know we have never hung pictures.

10 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Estate agents saying we didn't leave the property "clean". Then double checking if we used a cleaning company, so obviously it was a high enough standard for them to ask? 

Looking forward to them docking my deposit, I've read up on the challenge procedures 

Estate agents, by and large, are pieces of shit. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Yes, I will be in the situ as you in a couple of months. Hopefully you get most of yours back and can challenge any piss-taking.  We have  already been asked to fill in any holes in the wall caused by hanging pictures, even though they know we have never hung pictures.

Have videoed everything prior to leaving, so I'm looking forward to them showing me exactly what needed cleaning and how long it took. 

Actually despise having to deal with estate agents, hopefully we both get our deposits back 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Mate, go for them full barrel if they have the cheek. Copy in citizens advice, ombudsman, housing advice, your mp, housing dept and its minister. Too many of these rats treat tenants like pushover kids to line their own pockets, whilst also giving landlords a bad name  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Mate, go for them full barrel if they have the cheek. Copy in citizens advice, ombudsman, housing advice, your mp, housing dept and its minister. Too many of these rats treat tenants like pushover kids to line their own pockets, whilst also giving landlords a bad name  

As a landlord I can concur. Our agents deducted some of our previous tenants deposit for “cleaning”. I had a good relationship with said tenants and had visited the property only a week or so before they left and it was spotless. By the time I found this out said tenants, a young couple on a uk work placement, had already returned to Taiwan so not much I could do about it. I have instructed said agents that they only make extra charges with my written consent in the future.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, urban fox said:

As a landlord I can concur. Our agents deducted some of our previous tenants deposit for “cleaning”. I had a good relationship with said tenants and had visited the property only a week or so before they left and it was spotless. By the time I found this out said tenants, a young couple on a uk work placement, had already returned to Taiwan so not much I could do about it. I have instructed said agents that they only make extra charges with my written consent in the future.

That is my point. I read a badly and dangerously misinformed post on here (could not see the username) saying it's landlords unscrupulously scalping money from renters by keeping some of the deposit. That may be the case some of the time, but most certainly not all of the time, it will be the managers trying to line their own pockets. Managing the scumbag property manager is more work than actually managing the property yourself. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Managing the scumbag property manager is more work than actually managing the property yourself. 

Very true. Only reason we used an agent is because the property is not local so rely on them for any minor repairs etc and the initial marketing of the property and drawing up of contracts, which in the case of the latter they were very good at

• Like 1

On 01/12/2023 at 19:09, Parafox said:

Radio 2.

It seems to have lost it's direction and identity.

Boring, repetitive presenters, up it's own arse. I hardly listen anymore. The music isn't that bad. It's the presenters that are ruining for me

Unfortunately, Radio 1, 3, 4 and 6 don't fit my listening preferences and the commercial alternatives are even more unbearable.

On 04/12/2023 at 01:59, Jon the Hat said:

My mum, who is in her 70s still thinks Radio 2 should be for her, and Radio 1 is definitely too young for me, and 6 music too sometimes, so not sure where I am supposed to fit into BBC radio land.

Seems like the BBC needs to create Radio 7: Radio heaven for miserable old gits across the land!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Seems like the BBC needs to create Radio 7: Radio heaven for miserable old gits across the land!

Idea: everybody gets a personalised radio station that plays only the music they liked from the ages of 14 to 28, at which point they had got married, realised they were stuck in the job they were in forever and had effectively given up on life.  All presented by an AI generated version of Adrian Chiles to keep the costs down

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

Very true. Only reason we used an agent is because the property is not local so rely on them for any minor repairs etc and the initial marketing of the property and drawing up of contracts, which in the case of the latter they were very good at

Good point. But even if not local, if you’ve got a good book of local tradesman, you don’t need a manager. They take a cut on all the tradesmen they use.

Marketing and rent collection can be done with a rent collection only contract right? Anyway talking specifics now, main point being these managers are often non value add

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Idea: everybody gets a personalised radio station that plays only the music they liked from the ages of 14 to 28, at which point they had got married, realised they were stuck in the job they were in forever and had effectively given up on life.  All presented by an AI generated version of Adrian Chiles to keep the costs down

I still listen to new music in my 50s, but I've noticed that people who do listen to new music past their 30s were invariably NOT into chart music.

The music I liked listening to in my 20s rarely troubled the top 20, even less so now that all that seems to make the charts is latin based rhythms or pity-me-dirge-anthems that make Joy Division look upbeat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Estate agents demanding to know if we used a cleaning service and is "waiting to be told" what additional cleaning was needed. 

Any advice?

Wtf exactly do they want to see? Have you got a professional cleaning invoice? Was the property left at the same standard as the opening inventory (taking into account wear and tear which should be a provision on your ast) with pictorial evidence? If yes and yes, tell them to politely F off 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Estate agents demanding to know if we used a cleaning service and is "waiting to be told" what additional cleaning was needed. 

Any advice?

Use the portal for the deposit and resist any attempt to retain the deposit that way.

We are landlords and the tennant trashed the place and made it very difficult to keep their deposit. We had to provide quotes of £8k to demonstrate why they couldn't have their £600 back and they did evntually agree.

In your situation it should be simple enough to ask for the evidence that the cleaning was needed. Furthermore, the requirement for a professional cleaner is just BS unless its specifically written into a contract.

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Wtf exactly do they want to see? Have you got a professional cleaning invoice? Was the property left at the same standard as the opening inventory (taking into account wear and tear which should be a provision on your ast) with pictorial evidence? If yes and yes, tell them to politely F off 

We did it ourselves, and to blow my own trumpet, place was bloody immaculate.

Sadly could see my reflection in every surface. I'd argue the place was much better, we fixed a few issues and sorted the garden out. 

We're refraining from answering as we know minute we say it was us, the amount of cleaning need will "increase".

1 hour ago, kenny said:

Use the portal for the deposit and resist any attempt to retain the deposit that way.

We are landlords and the tennant trashed the place and made it very difficult to keep their deposit. We had to provide quotes of £8k to demonstrate why they couldn't have their £600 back and they did evntually agree.

In your situation it should be simple enough to ask for the evidence that the cleaning was needed. Furthermore, the requirement for a professional cleaner is just BS unless its specifically written into a contract.

By use the portal, assume you mean reject the offer they'll put in with deductions from the deposit? 

This is the wording of the contract, and the initial inventory stated "the landlord has informed me (the inventory person) the property will be professionally cleaned prior to the tenancy" 

So to me that doesn't state it was cleaned, just that it would be. So there is no written proof it was ever done.

Sorry to hear you've had a rough one with tenants.

IMG_20231215_164909.jpg

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

We did it ourselves, and to blow my own trumpet, place was bloody immaculate.

Sadly could see my reflection in every surface. I'd argue the place was much better, we fixed a few issues and sorted the garden out. 

We're refraining from answering as we know minute we say it was us, the amount of cleaning need will "increase".

By use the portal, assume you mean reject the offer they'll put in with deductions from the deposit? 

This is the wording of the contract, and the initial inventory stated "the landlord has informed me (the inventory person) the property will be professionally cleaned prior to the tenancy" 

So to me that doesn't state it was cleaned, just that it would be. So there is no written proof it was ever done.

Sorry to hear you've had a rough one with tenants.

IMG_20231215_164909.jpg

Agree with your assessment. It is a poorly worded level of expectation of a cleanliness standard not that it needs to be cleaned by a professional.

By portal,  you are correct, reject their deductions and make it clear you are prepared to push back all the way. They should give up as it's not worth the hassle over £150.

Or just get a handwritten note from mrsunifox21 cleaning services!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kenny said:

Agree with your assessment. It is a poorly worded level of expectation of a cleanliness standard not that it needs to be cleaned by a professional.

By portal,  you are correct, reject their deductions and make it clear you are prepared to push back all the way. They should give up as it's not worth the hassle over £150.

Or just get a handwritten note from mrsunifox21 cleaning services!

Thanks for your help! 

What has made me laugh, the inventory says the house is to be cleaned. Then shows a shit stain on a toilet. 

The shit stain is still in the house when we move in, (we have a picture of it) which I think is enough to reasonably doubt the house was professionally cleaned prior to us moving in

• Like 1