Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

10 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Some mates would call me 'woke' but I always found Happy Holidays to sound a bit silly no matter what you are referring to. Saying Happy holidays for Diwali or Eid would be very strange by way of comparison so why do it for Christmas?

The word 'holiday' is derived from the phrase 'holy day', so saying 'Happy Holidays' might not be that silly for any religious date on the calendar.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Some mates would call me 'woke' but I always found Happy Holidays to sound a bit silly no matter what you are referring to. Saying Happy holidays for Diwali or Eid would be very strange by way of comparison so why do it for Christmas?

I don't find it woke, I just consider it another annoying Americanism.

• Like 4

Over familiar news readers/weather presenters. Read the news, tell us what the weather is doing, then do one. You don't have to have a giggly little conversation filler at the end of the item. 

"So, it's colder than usual for this time of year....back to you Steve, make sure you wrap up warm, buy yourself a coat, treat yourself, what are you up to this weekend ?" No no no. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I’d really love to sit in on some marketing meetings and listen as they come up with some of the branding ideas. 
When you think of some that get passed, I’d love to hear the rejected ideas.

Agreed. Irish rugby's social media hashtag is 'Team of Us'. How shit is that?

13 hours ago, String fellow said:

The word 'holiday' is derived from the phrase 'holy day', so saying 'Happy Holidays' might not be that silly for any religious date on the calendar.

12 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I don't find it woke, I just consider it another annoying Americanism.

Yeah fair enough. Didnt actually know or give any previously thought  to the origin of holiday but seems so obvious now that I know :facepalm:

49 minutes ago, Costello said:

Over familiar news readers/weather presenters. Read the news, tell us what the weather is doing, then do one. You don't have to have a giggly little conversation filler at the end of the item. 

"So, it's colder than usual for this time of year....back to you Steve, make sure you wrap up warm, buy yourself a coat, treat yourself, what are you up to this weekend ?" No no no. 

My cousin did the news for a local radio station down south years ago. They changed the style to make it more conversational between the main presenter and news/weather readers, she left when it was getting too intrusive for her, they were saying stuff like ' Thanks, enjoy your date later. Is that date 3? You know what they say happens on date 3'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Non league clubs tweeting they are rejecting the super league, stops being funny when you see the 300th team doing it.

Its up there with when a journeyman player announced their retirement from international football

Bin men doing the round in Braunstone, Hamelin Road area this morning.

Father in Laws wheely bin not collected, apparently because it wasn't left on the pavement.

We had left it about 3/4 on his garden path, 1/4 on the pavement. Did this so it got some protection from the strong wind and also made more room for folk to walk past.

Bin man would have needed to do another half step to reach it.

3 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Bin men doing the round in Braunstone, Hamelin Road area this morning.

Father in Laws wheely bin not collected, apparently because it wasn't left on the pavement.

We had left it about 3/4 on his garden path, 1/4 on the pavement. Did this so it got some protection from the strong wind and also made more room for folk to walk past.

Bin man would have needed to do another half step to reach it.

In our area in Hinckley, we're obliged to leave the bins on the threshold of footpath and our drive/path where possible. This is so they don't cause an obstruction on the pavement. None of the houses on the estate we live on have front gates, so it's easy to do.

However, when the bins have been emptied they're often strewn across the pavement with utter disregard for pedestrians, I've even had my bin tipped over and left in the road.

Edited by Parafox

Having to wait for the 30second sky sports advert every time you click on a video link on the SS app, surely once is enough if you don’t leave the app or at least reduce it to 10 seconds after the 1st time if you must show it every time & the fact it’s the same bloody ad!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

When your family do the food shop and don't bother to read the packaging when it comes to storage. Frozen items end up in the fridge, fridge items outside etc

Winds me up no end! You had one job

Worse for me is ambient items that don't need refrigerating being put in the fridge.

Bread. Eggs. Cat food. Tomato and other sauces. WHY????

If you buy something from an ordinary shelf in the supermarket, it doesn't need to go in the fridge.

Unless it's alcohol. ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Worse for me is ambient items that don't need refrigerating being put in the fridge.

Bread. Eggs. Cat food. Tomato and other sauces. WHY????

If you buy something from an ordinary shelf in the supermarket, it doesn't need to go in the fridge.

Unless it's alcohol. ;)

Oh please God no, don't open up the egg/fridge debate again.

2 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Oh please God no, don't open up the egg/fridge debate again.

How is it even a debate? They don't need to go in the fridge. I only put them in there myself because the fridge has a perfect little storage tray for them, which is easier than leaving the box out on the counter.