Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

All the burglaries round our way at the minute.

Not just the number, but the nature of them; brazen but also really careless (getting filmed, leaving tons of evidence), and serious enough for custodial sentences when the cops inevitably catch up with them.

Seems like folk have gone a bit mental

• Like 1

On 11/01/2024 at 11:17, Tuna said:

Dubious ebay sellers.

Ordered something before Christmas, nothing happens. Item then gets posted a week after I order it. It's the wrong item. Return it in the new year. No refund, have to go through customer services to get it!

eBay is a terrible platform surprised its still running if you sell something you have wait ages for the money at first. and then you have the problem you mentioned. 

Since they moved from PayPal its a nightmare.

3 hours ago, sdb said:

Footballers who put their hands on their heads in 'disbelief' at something good their teammate has done. So performative and embarrassing.

Is this in reference to Phil foden? If so, silva’s goal was incredible, and foden had a front seat view of it at 100mph. These people are humans with emotions too 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Unfortunately, and not excusing it by any means, but as soon as the cost of living grows above the means of an average person, the crime rate skyrockets. 
This is happening globally, there is a severe breakdown in communities, we’re more connected globally, but less connected to the neighbours than ever before. This alongside the ridiculous cost of survival, affording the basics; gas, electricity, water, shelter and food means crime rates will spike and more and more will see their only option to take what they need. 
It’s a huge problem everywhere, but hey banks and supermarkets are making record profits so who really cares hey!

Oh yeah, it's been coming and to be honest I'm surprised it's taken as long as it has. I know from a copper that I know that more affluent areas were getting hit very hard a few months back and it seems that it's filtered down to us now.

Police responses and visibility are probably better at the moment than I'd have expected but as you say it's the underlying causes that are driving it. There was one on Friday that was so ridiculous that you'd think the person actually wanted to go to prison and that's a possibility you can't rule out. I know someone that does sort of counselling/mentoring in prisons and unfortunately this is a thing - life on the inside is easier for some people than when they're out

11 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Is this in reference to Phil foden? If so, silva’s goal was incredible, and foden had a front seat view of it at 100mph. These people are humans with emotions too 

Similar to Youri's FA cup goal when Albrighton was in complete shock and ran towards him celebrating with his hands on his head in disbelief, I absolutely love that clip. You can tell he is genuinely shocked. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yes but it's a totally fake reaction. They all do it. He already knows what his team mate is capable of! And it happens every week.

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Oh yeah, it's been coming and to be honest I'm surprised it's taken as long as it has. I know from a copper that I know that more affluent areas were getting hit very hard a few months back and it seems that it's filtered down to us now.

Police responses and visibility are probably better at the moment than I'd have expected but as you say it's the underlying causes that are driving it. There was one on Friday that was so ridiculous that you'd think the person actually wanted to go to prison and that's a possibility you can't rule out. I know someone that does sort of counselling/mentoring in prisons and unfortunately this is a thing - life on the inside is easier for some people than when they're out

For some it absolutely is, 3 guaranteed meals per day and a sheltered bed. Potentially no pressure for others to steal either. 

We have a police helicopter over the area at least once a week now as well. 

21 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

All the burglaries round our way at the minute.

Not just the number, but the nature of them; brazen but also really careless (getting filmed, leaving tons of evidence), and serious enough for custodial sentences when the cops inevitably catch up with them.

Seems like folk have gone a bit mental

Neighbours done over last night, despite the guy shouting at them, they proceeded to smash their way into the house with a brick. We’re lucky to have a big dog and the only day he’s not been home, we were broken into as well, albeit a few years back. They never seem to catch the individuals, despite glaring evidence.

Edited by westernpark

8 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Often wonder if its sound effects, you never see anyone coughing when the camera is on the crowd.

As someone who has an allergy according to my wife (I will NEVER do an allergy test as I’m too much of a man to admit having an allergy) which results in occasional coughing fits, I have got very adept at undercover coughing since 2020 when the covid fanatics took over the world 

2 hours ago, westernpark said:

Neighbours done over last night, despite the guy shouting at them, they proceeded to smash their way into the house with a brick. We’re lucky to have a big dog and the only day he’s not been home, we were broken into as well, albeit a few years back. They never seem to catch the individuals, despite glaring evidence.

Yeah, I heard about that, it was all over the Neighbourhood Watch groups this morning (which you might be on) unsurprisingly.

That was another car theft wasn't it? My mate has been advised by the police to not hide car keys, but to just leave them so they don't have to go through the whole house to get them.

Grim

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yeah, I heard about that, it was all over the Neighbourhood Watch groups this morning (which you might be on) unsurprisingly.

That was another car theft wasn't it? My mate has been advised by the police to not hide car keys, but to just leave them so they don't have to go through the whole house to get them.

Grim

What will the police advise us to do next - leave the car keys in the ignition so that the thieves don't even need to break into the house first? 

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Grim

I don’t believe they took anything last night, once they realised people were in they just decided to smash the place up a bit.

I’ve heard that too, re car keys. They did another neighbours house last year, nicked some spare keys to a half decent car and then cam back for the car, although locks had been changed by then on the car. As a household we’re now all out on one day next week but due to the increase in activity we’re having to tag team trips back to the house over the day. Ridiculous.

39 minutes ago, String fellow said:

What will the police advise us to do next - leave the car keys in the ignition so that the thieves don't even need to break into the house first? 

Whilst it seems a bit defeatist I can see the logic. I think I'd rather they just take the car than ransack the place, which has been done to some properties round our way 

33 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I don’t believe they took anything last night, once they realised people were in they just decided to smash the place up a bit.

I’ve heard that too, re car keys. They did another neighbours house last year, nicked some spare keys to a half decent car and then cam back for the car, although locks had been changed by then on the car. As a household we’re now all out on one day next week but due to the increase in activity we’re having to tag team trips back to the house over the day. Ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm wondering what we can do that we don't normally. Stuff that I've never bothered about before, like putting on the alarm at night, locking the outside porch door etc.

It is a bit ridiculous but it's difficult not to get paranoid isn't it?

The police are terrible at responding to and investigating burglaries nowadays. I'm sure they just can't be arsed and want to leave it to insurance companies to sort out. 

You can guarantee if you caught someone in the act and battered the shit out of them, they'd be straight round to arrest you immediately. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

The police are terrible at responding to and investigating burglaries nowadays. I'm sure they just can't be arsed and want to leave it to insurance companies to sort out. 

You can guarantee if you caught someone in the cat and battered the shit out of them, they'd be straight round to arrest you immediately. 

In fairness, the cops have been round pretty quickly to at least some of the recent ones near us, and we know that they've started committing more of their limited resources to extra patrols etc. They seem to be taking it pretty seriously as burglaries have gone through the roof here compared to previous years. It can't be just us though

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

You can guarantee if you caught someone in the cat and battered the shit out of them, they'd be straight round to arrest you immediately. 

Also in fairness, the cops have always been really quick to respond to our calls too. Can’t fault them here for that. True, the chance of anything being solved is minuscule, but they make a decent fist of it. 

Two things grinding the old gears atm

People who STILL cannot comprehend the difference between the Everton/Forest FFP charges and the Man City case. They're totally different and at this point if you think the PL are treating Man City better cos of how long it's taking you're either lacking in any sort of research skills or being wilfully ignorant.

The rugby community losing its minds and being so extraordinarily bitter at a player making a career choice to go and try out for the NFL. The response I've read and seen has been exceptionally butthurt.

• Like 3