Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

14 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Adverts for second hand bikes online. 

If you're asking over £250 for a bicycle It would really help if you said what model it is and what size, you absolute halfwits

That would entail owners leaving the full details of their bike strapped to it prior to theft.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Daggers said:

That would entail owners leaving the full details of their bike strapped to it prior to theft.

I feel like stealing their bikes to be honest.

See also "no time wasters" - doesn't respond to messages

15 hours ago, Bert said:

That people under the age of 18 who commit heinous crimes are t allowed to be named. 

They can be, at the judge's discretion, and they can be named the moment they turn 18 in any case.

16 hours ago, The Bear said:

Disney have started doing it too. Their cheapest sub now has adverts. 

People have been paying through the nose for Sky with adverts over the years so I guess they look at that and want a piece of it. 

It'll just push more people to download films/shows and get dodgy Firesticks

💯 and they are right to do so 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I feel like stealing their bikes to be honest.

See also "no time wasters" - doesn't respond to messages

What kind of bike are you after - and what size?

42 minutes ago, Daggers said:

What kind of bike are you after - and what size?

A hardtail mountain bike for my son, who despite being only 12 is growing at a terrifying rate and really needs an adult medium sized frame if I'm not going to be buying another one before the end of the year, which would be a third after the first one was nabbed. Hopefully going to look at one tomorrow - a Giant Talon

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

A hardtail mountain bike for my son, who despite being only 12 is growing at a terrifying rate and really needs an adult medium sized frame if I'm not going to be buying another one before the end of the year, which would be a third after the first one was nabbed. Hopefully going to look at one tomorrow - a Giant Talon

Bike theft is mad at the moment, don’t reckon I’d ever take one into a city. 

7 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Bike theft is mad at the moment, don’t reckon I’d ever take one into a city. 

It's particularly bad if you're dozy enough to leave it unlocked and then go into the shop - that's an expensive lesson learned by him, hopefully.

And this is why we have a price ceiling on this project

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's particularly bad if you're dozy enough to leave it unlocked and then go into the shop - that's an expensive lesson learned by him, hopefully.

And this is why we have a price ceiling on this project

Shout me if you want a road bike instead/as well - I’ve got a Giant medium doing nothing you can have. Bought it secondhand for £100 about six years ago so it owes me nothing. 

On 21/05/2024 at 11:49, RonnieTodger said:

“Grinding gears” would be a bit strong, but journalists and social media have ruined any kind of football announcement.

They’re basically announcing the England squad incrementally. They’ve already ruined transfers.

It was decent for a little while getting little bits of info before big transfer announcements. But now I genuinely miss moves that completely catch you off guard. 

We have twits like Romano posting the same post 15 different ways, or just pushing agent crap. Rather than when he started of actually only posting deals that were about to happen

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I’ve got a Giant Talon! At least I did an hour ago, better go check.  (Yes I know this joke would work better if I wasn’t in Australia).

I’ve been very happy with it.

14 hours ago, Daggers said:

Shout me if you want a road bike instead/as well - I’ve got a Giant medium doing nothing you can have. Bought it secondhand for £100 about six years ago so it owes me nothing. 

Thanks! If the new one gets pinched I might end up taking you up on that. See you in a couple of weeks 

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I’ve got a Giant Talon! At least I did an hour ago, better go check.  (Yes I know this joke would work better if I wasn’t in Australia).

I’ve been very happy with it.

I've got a Giant Hybrid. I can't pretend to know much about bikes but they just seem to be solid and well put together. 

I beginning to think the one that got nicked was a bit of a bargain, sadly

The NC500.

Just got back from road-tripping around Scotland for 2 weeks. We didn't do the whole of the NC500 as we've been coming to Scotland regularly for the past 30 years, love it. We're extremely familiar with the Great Glen, Inverness, the east coast between Inverness and Thurso, Fort William.

So we took the ferry to Shetland (never been here) from Aberdeen and came back a few days later via Orkney (visited a couple of times before) on to Thurso.

Which is where we rejoined the NC500. The bit we've never done. The bit we've never done because it's so remote and uninhabited...

Except it was totally overrun by motorhomes, chapters (for want of a better word) of motorcyclists, and caravans. In trying to "get away from it all", it all had followed us. :(

And it was almost entirely very well-heeled older people retired from their middle-management jobs that were doing this in state of the art vehicles and equipment. There was no one roughing it. Especially annoying was the number of guesthouses and hotels we saw motorhomes parked up in :rolleyes:

The roads were terrible too. You think urban city roads are heavily pot-holed? This was more like 1980s Beirut.

After chatting to several shop and cafe owners in the area it was clear that the problem was infrastructure. The NC500 had brought in so much tourism (yay!), but, surprise, surprise, all the money wasn't being reinvested into catering for them. Skye has had similar problems for years.

So we left the NC500 behind and enjoyed the quiet of the Cairngorms. Which was probably much quieter than it used to be, no doubt losing out to the much "trendier" NC500.

Shetland on the other hand ... Gorgeous! I'll post something about that in the holidays thread.

Shetland :thumbup:

North-west Scotland :thumbdown:

• Like 1

A silly one that probably shouldn't annoy me but it does is the use of 'BREAKING NEWS' for the most mundane or pointless news stories.

Obviously with everything going on I'm keeping an eye on the likes of Sky Sports News for announcements and up pops 'BREAKING' Aston Villa unveil updated badge! WTF - the term Breaking News used to be reserved for unexpected or important stories, now it just seems to be used for anything.

• Like 2