Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

51 minutes ago, Daggers said:

We never change our pants.

Well, I've seen discarded pants in Wicksteed Park. Down by the waterchute. 

I know you know where that is.

People who bang on about immigrants taking our jobs, but who buy copious amounts of stuff from China and probably haven't got a single item of clothing that was made in the UK.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

People who bang on about immigrants taking our jobs, but who buy copious amounts of stuff from China and probably haven't got a single item of clothing that was made in the UK.

Those who bang on about logistic hubs in a nearby field no one has ever cared about, who buy copious amounts of stuff from China.

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Those who bang on about logistic hubs in a nearby field no one has ever cared about, who buy copious amounts of stuff from China.

Nice to find someone else who actually has some common sense about this hub (assuming you're referring to Enderby).

The noise and nonsense around that has been an utter joke.

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Nice to find someone else who actually has some common sense about this hub (assuming you're referring to Enderby).

Yes, notice how it's mainly retired people too.

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

No problem with the hub in Enderby as long as improvements to the roads and traffic management in the area are massively improved.

An absolute joke as it is every day without any more vehicles adding to the gridlock.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yes, notice how it's mainly retired people too.

15 minutes ago, Rain King said:

No problem with the hub in Enderby as long as improvements to the roads and traffic management in the area are massively improved.

An absolute joke as it is every day without any more vehicles adding to the gridlock.

The issue is that they should've tried harder in 2019 when it was being allocated in the local plan. As soon as it was in there they had no chance. This nimby nonsense has been so tiresome, and could've cost the council so much money in appeals after they turned up and pressured cllrs to refuse it.

Infrastructure is needed, and the relief road would be welcome for sure. But the instigators of that group seem to spend their time opposing anything. From Wimpy Park to this to the 800 homes at Santander/golf course* they are very emotional. The worst thing is the wilful misrepresentation of cllrs and council staff in this, tbh

*Honestly their opposition to the 800 homes I don't have a massive issue with. They're doing it at the local plan phase, like they should've done with the hub. Still feels very nimby though.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

The issue is that they should've tried harder in 2019 when it was being allocated in the local plan. As soon as it was in there they had no chance. This nimby nonsense has been so tiresome, and could've cost the council so much money in appeals after they turned up and pressured cllrs to refuse it.

Infrastructure is needed, and the relief road would be welcome for sure. But the instigators of that group seem to spend their time opposing anything. From Wimpy Park to this to the 800 homes at Santander/golf course* they are very emotional. The worst thing is the wilful misrepresentation of cllrs and council staff in this, tbh

*Honestly their opposition to the 800 homes I don't have a massive issue with. They're doing it at the local plan phase, like they should've done with the hub. Still feels very nimby though.

Misread your * and went into a rant about the golf course proposal. Apologies! 

Edited by Zear0
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Dismissing folks concerns as 'nimby' is unfair as well as tiresome.

Blaby district has probably been more developed in recent times than comparable areas elsewhere. Blaby council have even offered to take on some of the city councils housing requirements.

The golf course in Enderby as well as the Western Golf Course (significant part of which falls within Blaby district) all earmarked for further massive development.

When you throw into the mix the main arterial roads on that side of the city/county, I think folk have every right to voice concerns because so much has been already carried out in their 'back yard', not to mention other bordering areas/authorities.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

7 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Blaby district has probably been more developed in recent times than comparable areas elsewhere. Blaby council have even offered to take on some of the city councils housing requirements.

The golf course in Enderby as well as the Western Golf Course (significant part of which falls within Blaby district) all earmarked for further massive development.

When you throw into the mix the main arterial roads on that side of the city/county, I think folk have every right to voice concerns because so much has been already carried out in their 'back yard'.

Difficult one for me, sometimes the concern is legit and infrastructure is either not necessary or could be done elsewhere, sometimes people in these "concerned citizen" groups are really just self interested stick-in-the-muds unable to think beyond their front window or the next five years.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

When you throw into the mix the main arterial roads on that side of the city/county, I think folk have every right to voice concerns because so much has been already carried out in their 'back yard', not to mention other bordering areas/authorities.

Then they need to take it up with government. Housing allocations are enforced on local authorities and Blaby have to allocate land for employment and housing. They also have a requirement to help the city with theirs. If they don't then govt can step in and do it for them. Their ire is misdirected.

I call them nimbys because I guarantee 100% that these people would not give the slightest shit if this hub or homes were in Sharnford, or Glenfield, or Coubtesthorpe. They just wouldn't. They'd be relieved it wasn't Enderby, and that's why a nimby is. Only cares when it's anywhere near them.

I fully agree tbh that we shouldn't be tacking on houses to villages. It's not sustainable. Problem is people scream at that, but then scream at the thought of large, sustainable developments like the proposed Whetstone Pastures scheme or New Lubbesthorpe. So where do these homes go? NL is a sustainable development that will house thousands of people and is a nice place to walk around and, importantly, have facilities in place when completed.

It's gotta go somewhere because the councils have to.

Whilst I'm on this train, I wish a council or councillor had the bollocks to sue someone accusing them if brown envelopes for defamation. Would shut that pathetic accusation up, too.

Edited by Footballwipe
  • Like 1

Don't know if anyone still listens to the Totally Football Show but there's a guy on today's called Tom Williams who's been on a few before and he might have the most annoying inflection I've ever heard anyone speak with. Also does a huge inhale through his teeth after every four or five words, driving me ****ing mad here.

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Don't know if anyone still listens to the Totally Football Show but there's a guy on today's called Tom Williams who's been on a few before and he might have the most annoying inflection I've ever heard anyone speak with. Also does a huge inhale through his teeth after every four or five words, driving me ****ing mad here.

I was listening to a Euro commentary the other day, the one where they had to come off for a while due to lightning.

The female commentator was speaking like an over excited 12 year old and just wouldn't shut up. It was like she hadn't  seen heavy rain before.

Her voice was really grating and I felt my head would explode if I didn't switch it off - which I did.

2 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Devoted listener to this, never noticed it though I bet upon everything I will from now on. I tend to find that Carl Anka on that pod always tries to start a point with an inflection that attempts to make it really profound.

Such a shame about that pod tbh because I find it really far behind Football Weekly, and their Euro pod has become incredibly "matey", too

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Devoted listener to this, never noticed it though I bet upon everything I will from now on. I tend to find that Carl Anka on that pod always tries to start a point with an inflection that attempts to make it really profound.

Such a shame about that pod tbh because I find it really far behind Football Weekly, and their Euro pod has become incredibly "matey", too

Yeah there's just a few people whose voices  / quirks wind me up, definitely irrationally, I'm sure they're nice enough blokes! But Duncan Alexander is another I can't listen to, sounds like everything he says is done with an eyeroll and like he's just had his mouth made numb at the dentists, all very droll.

Never listened to Football Weekly, I like Max Rushden but I can't stomach Barry Glendenning's schtick.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah there's just a few people whose voices  / quirks wind me up, definitely irrationally, I'm sure they're nice enough blokes! But Duncan Alexander is another I can't listen to, sounds like everything he says is done with an eyeroll and like he's just had his mouth made numb at the dentists, all very droll.

Never listened to Football Weekly, I like Max Rushden but I can't stomach Barry Glendenning's schtick.

Glendenning is definitely marmite. I can handle him but he can be very hard work. Max offsets him definitely sometimes.

On FW and Duncan Alexander (who is a bit like Michael Cox in the smug stakes sometimes) I've always had this irrational theory that James Richardson isn't a massive fan of Duncan's. He can seem quite dismissive of him sometimes, or quite bored of his attempts at humour. Probably complete BS though.

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

Glendenning is definitely marmite. I can handle him but he can be very hard work. Max offsets him definitely sometimes.

On FW and Duncan Alexander (who is a bit like Michael Cox in the smug stakes sometimes) I've always had this irrational theory that James Richardson isn't a massive fan of Duncan's. He can seem quite dismissive of him sometimes, or quite bored of his attempts at humour. Probably complete BS though.

Aye I'll sometimes catch the end of their show on Talksport on a Sunday and Rushden makes it bearable – there was a little period where Charlie Baker filled in for Glendenning and it was really great.

Now I'm looking forward to the next time Alexander is on, hopefully its true ehehehhehe.

Also the new 00s spin off of Quickly Kevin is, frankly, rubbish. Hopefully post-Euros when they get some guests on for deep dives it'll be alright but it's not quite there for me yet.

56 minutes ago, String fellow said:

All of the county's recycle centres closed today at 2.30 pm. How considerate it was of LCC to have them all closed at the same time!

So your stuff hasn't been taken away to some biffa ball bearing mill to be sorted for recycling - is this the first instance in the thread of the problem being that your gear(s) wasn't ground? lol

• Haha 1