Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

3 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Now we can't build anything and everyone thinks of German engineering as the gold standard. 

Was walking around the other day and couldn't help but feel society has completely eroded. We don't take any pride in ourselves as a nation anymore. 

I think there are moments of togetherness still, but then for me the more important struggle will always be for international unity than national unity anyway.

Just now, leicsmac said:

I think there are moments of togetherness still, but then for me the more important struggle will always be for international unity than national unity anyway.

I'm a big fan of internationalism but if we can't build a functional society at home then I struggle to see how we will contribute to a better way of life for all humanity. 

7 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Now we can't build anything and everyone thinks of German engineering as the gold standard. 

Was walking around the other day and couldn't help but feel society has completely eroded. We don't take any pride in ourselves as a nation anymore. 

Walking through Baker Street underground station like a 6th century Saxon in Britain gawping at the crumbling ruins of a superior civilization. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LiberalFox said:

I'm a big fan of internationalism but if we can't build a functional society at home then I struggle to see how we will contribute to a better way of life for all humanity. 

Fair to say.

We'll have the opportunity and challenge to find out rather soon, though.

• Like 1

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

Got a colleague, nice guy, but after every sentence he sucks his teeth and says ERRRM really loud. At first it was a bit weird, now it's really annoying.

'Have you done file XXX yet  *sssssssssssssssshhhhhhhh* ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM'

Clue: He hasn't 

33 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

"In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set – then at least I'll own something that has always worked." - Hermann Goering

A chap called Wifred Freeman was a central figure in the procurement of many of the best designs of aircraft used by the RAF in ww2 apparently 

29 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

people who believe everything that is written without looking at all the facts/logic

like come on man, it isnt hard to use your sodding brain

Critical thinking is so important, yet so many people either can't or won't do it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FrankieADZ said:

yeah pretty much, its like all common sense, fact checking etc has gone right out the window

Or worse, even fact-checkers themselves are accused of bias and ignored.

We are being engulfed in a morass of "truth" and it will end nowhere good.

• Like 1

The worst kind are those who have so much confirmation bias about their obviously entrenched views, then smugly tell you that they've "researched" the topic or tell you to go do some research of your own. 

It's almost as if they don't understand the definition of the word research. 

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

The worst kind are those who have so much confirmation bias about their obviously entrenched views, then smugly tell you that they've "researched" the topic or tell you to go do some research of your own. 

It's almost as if they don't understand the definition of the word research. 

And when those people then vote in number on matters of scientific policy...

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I realise that this is tongue firmly in cheek, but the man is fairly obviously very fvcking far from stupid.

Evidence:

*Bought a house the week before the global crash

*Has told his wife her hair appointment ended badly more than once

*Just spoke about himself in the third person

*Is a complete Stan for Britney

*Fails to not annoy Mark on a frequent basis despite promises

*Always speaks mind knowing it will lead to unemployment

*Develops a new hobby he thrusts himself into almost every three months having purchased lots of gear for the old hobby

*Actually believes if he is nice to the police officer he'll get away with the misdemeanor 

*it goes on

*extensively

You won't see me write this a lot, but i completely agree with Tom.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Daggers said:

Evidence:

*Develops a new hobby he thrusts himself into almost every three months having purchased lots of gear for the old hobby

*Actually believes if he is nice to the police officer he'll get away with the misdemeanor 

*it goes on

*extensively

Nah none of that is stupidity to be fair, sounds like it's a case of you not helping yourself when it comes to acting or speaking your mind. 

Still though, I'm sure there are a lot of examples when acting out or speaking your mind worked out in your favour.

7 hours ago, Daggers said:

Evidence:

*it goes on

*extensively

You actually noticed your wife had a hair cut which is surely a positive? 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

@Daggers actually noticed he HAS a wife....

Of course, she’s the one by the front door doing the complaining when I come home drunk with some girlfriends.

[gravelly northern comic voice] Am here all week, ladies and gentlemen [/gravelly northern voice]

• Haha 1