Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

This cycling on the pavement thing does get on my tits, as ten years ago nobody did it, and now nearly everyone seems to, even when the road is completely empty.

I have some sympathy in that our roads aren't really geared up for cyclists and there isn't the provision for them that there is in other countries. That said, the c*ntier cyclists become, the less likely it is that anything will be done about that - perception of them has changed from them being a minor irritation for car drivers in a rush (which is a pretty c*nty attitude in itself), to being actively anti-social. The police, certainly in Leicester, aren't treating their indiscretions as a priority, but imagine the fuss there'll be if there's a clampdown. There'll be more 'it's just a way of raising revenue' and 'you should be out catching proper criminals' bleating than you've ever heard in your life

At the end of the day there are more ****s in cars than on bikes full stop.

You have basically nailed it on the head why people will cycle on pavements. Having lived in The Netherlands were cyclists are respected and you can have faith that you will not be run over at most opportunities whereas in this country you get a poxy little lane with small markings that most drivers are oblivious to which only runs half way down the road and your greeted by "End of cycling route", you cannot blame me for cycling on pavements. Im just looking out for myself and if Im a **** for doing so, so be it as Id rather be a living **** than six feet under.

I cycle past the feds most days on the pavement and they never stop me and I pat them on the back for it. At the end of the day its common sense and there is a hell of a lot more for them to do. I would be rather upset if my council tax was being spent on stopping cyclists from riding on pavements.

I always use the pedestarin parts for cycling. Couldn't give a shit what people think or if its "attitude". At the end of the day as a car driver I know how shit people are on the roads and cyclists can sometimes be hard to spot so for that reason I couldn't give a shit and will cycle on the pavement even if there is a cycle path as I simply don't trust other motorists. Call me a twat all you like at least I know I wont be run over. Saying that I don't run pedestrians over but I hate pedestrians who give attitude to cyclists on pavements even where there is no cycle path lol

As for going through red lights its a perk of cycling :thumbup::D

If you're too scared to ride your bike on the road, then you shouldn't be on a bike in the first place.

If there is no cycle path, you have as much right to use the road as any other road user. If you can't respect the right of pedestrians to use a footpath (the clue is in the name), then you deserve all the abuse that you get.

:thumbsup:

I forgot to add; as both a motorist and a cyclist, I find it worrying that you cannot spot cyclists. With a hubby just about to take his motorbike test, I bet you can't spot motorcylists either. If I were you, I would seriously consider whether or not I should be driving.

If you're too scared to ride your bike on the road, then you shouldn't be on a bike in the first place.

If there is no cycle path, you have as much right to use the road as any other road user. If you can't respect the right of pedestrians to use a footpath (the clue is in the name), then you deserve all the abuse that you get.

Im not scared to ride my bike just don't trust the majority of motorists.

I forgot to add; as both a motorist and a cyclist, I find it worrying that you cannot spot cyclists. With a hubby just about to take his motorbike test, I bet you can't spot motorcylists either. If I were you, I would seriously consider whether or not I should be driving.

I can spot cyclists but it is a well known fact they harder to detect than other cars on the road simply because they can appear in blind spots without any notice.

Its no coincidence that in a lot of European countries they have sufficient bike lane systems for improved safety. If your case is right then we should all be seriously considering wether or not we should be driving.

If you must know im doing a motorbike test myself as I love two wheels. As long as bikers have bike sense and experience you should be in good stead but you can't avoid the fact that car drivers will not always be aware of you so vigilance and concentration is needed at all times. The nature of a bike makes it hard to be seen at all times by motorists.

Im not scared to ride my bike just don't trust the majority of motorists.

I can spot cyclists but it is a well known fact they harder to detect than other cars on the road simply because they can appear in blind spots without any notice.

Its no coincidence that in a lot of European countries they have sufficient bike lane systems for improved safety. If your case is right then we should all be seriously considering wether or not we should be driving.

If you must know im doing a motorbike test myself as I love two wheels. As long as bikers have bike sense and experience you should be in good stead but you can't avoid the fact that car drivers will not always be aware of you so vigilance and concentration is needed at all times. The nature of a bike makes it hard to be seen at all times by motorists.

Still doesn't justify riding on the pavement. What are you going to do when you've passed your motorbike test?

I find that looking over my shoulder as well as using my mirrors often means that I don't have a problem with spotting cyclists, of either the motorised or pedalled kind. :thumbup:

Still doesn't justify riding on the pavement. What are you going to do when you've passed your motorbike test?

Maybe not by law or in your views but in my opinion and plenty of others yes. All the justifying I need is that police turn a blind eye and use common sense when I ride past them.

Come on you can't compare a motorbike and a bicycle in terms of speed. Yes motorbikes are still dangerous but there is a massive difference when you can actually keep up with traffic.

I find that looking over my shoulder as well as using my mirrors often means that I don't have a problem with spotting cyclists, of either the motorised or pedalled kind. :thumbup:

Of course but you can't keep your eyes off the road at all times. I never once stated that cyclists/bikers can't be spotted, I just said they can be a lot more difficult to spot. Don't take my words so literally. There is no coincidence that there was a ad campaign about extra awareness for bikes.

Maybe not by law or in your views but in my opinion and plenty of others yes. All the justifying I need is that police turn a blind eye and use common sense when I ride past them.

Come on you can't compare a motorbike and a bicycle in terms of speed. Yes motorbikes are still dangerous but there is a massive difference when you can actually keep up with traffic.

Of course but you can't keep your eyes off the road at all times. I never once stated that cyclists/bikers can't be spotted, I just said they can be a lot more difficult to spot. Don't take my words so literally. There is no coincidence that there was a ad campaign about extra awareness for bikes.

I hope that the next time you ride on the pavement, and plod spots you, that they fine you. One day you might appreciate the fact that bikes are not, and should not, be allowed on the FOOTpath.

You don't trust motorists when you're on a cycle, but not when you're on a motorcycle? Strange....

I think you'll find that it's deteriorating driving standards full stop that are the reason why they have to run such campaigns. It still doesn't justify riding on the pavements. Are you insured for the day when you 'accidentally' injure a pedestrian? No, I didn't think so....

I can't stand cyclists that have never heard of road rules and drive in all kind of directions and lanes, just not the proper one and then have the ****ing nerve of giving you the finger after you've tried to have them take notice by giving them the horn. lol

Drivers who feel the urge of using one half of each lane, even if it's a simple two-way. Never heard of incoming traffic?

And the ones that can't read speed limit signs and go 10 to 20 slower on purpose.

And I loathe having to deal with legal issues because they make my life so much more annoying.

And to finish this one off, being unemployed's also unpleasant. Meh.

People who need to get a grip.

Someone was driving away from the kerb and I pretended my foot had been ran over, good acting. He came out and got worried then when I told him it was a joke he started having a go at me. fooking hell mate chill out lol

Bit of a twattish thing to do.

Someone was driving away from the kerb and I pretended my foot had been ran over, good acting. He came out and got worried then when I told him it was a joke he started having a go at me. fooking hell mate chill out lol

i'd have pushed you over and ran over your face, for that. :cool:

What a strange thing to do.

I hope that the next time you ride on the pavement, and plod spots you, that they fine you.

Charming.

One day you might appreciate the fact that bikes are not, and should not, be allowed on the FOOTpath.

I doubt that day will come. Just because it has he word FOOT in its name doesn't take in to account that roads are over populated by motorists all trying to reach a destination as quickly as possible.

You don't trust motorists when you're on a cycle, but not when you're on a motorcycle? Strange....

Stop stating things ive not said. :D

I said that motorcycles have an advantage over bicycles as they can actually keep up with the traffic and in most cases you can dictate how you travel through traffic and not vice versa. I never specifically said I don't trust motorists on one means and not the other. I don't trust other motorists full stop, wether it be in a car, bicycle or motorbike.

I think you'll find that it's deteriorating driving standards full stop that are the reason why they have to run such campaigns.

I can't comment on deterioting driving standards as ive been driving under five years but im guessing it is the case just by logically knowing that there are more motorists on the road than ever. The thing is when your on a narrow road and a car can't overtake a bicycle they pressure the cyclist by riding right up his/her arse even though they fully well know a bike isn't capable of reaching a speed of a car. Ive had this happen many times hence why I keep off the road when ever possible.

As it being the cause for the campaign im unsure. Maybe the fact that the percentage of motorbike accidents is the highest of all accidents reported in terms of ratio would be more probable would it not :thumbup:

It still doesn't justify riding on the pavements.

It may not justify me riding on pavements but it proved my point that bikes are harder to spot by cars/vans/trucks. Please don't twist my argument :D

Are you insured for the day when you 'accidentally' injure a pedestrian? No, I didn't think so....

No your not insured for hitting a pedestrian but is that it what it comes to? Insurance? Are people incompetent of carrying out daily tasks. What if a jogger 'accidentally' mows down a pedestrian? Are they insured. No, I didn't think so.....

I would bet my mortgage that more people are injured on bikes by cars than pedestrians being hit by bikes with the first also having higher fatalities.

Id like to see what your view is on parents with children cycling as there bikes are a lot smaller. Should they still be on the road?

i work with two of the most stupid, annoying ignorant admin girls. one whos young and always drunk so fair play and one whos just foooooking annoying she literally just talks u dont even have to reply and shes happy to keep going.

the following is a true story....

"well i went to my mums house after that thing i told u about truned out that i wasnt pregant, you didnt tell anyone did you? no.. well any way she was excited but not excited to see what the news was and i wasnt pregnant but there is something because my stomaches hard,,, do you think im putting on weight? i dont know.. well any way she said that what ever happens she would be nervous if i was pregant because she said that she wouldnt know if me and pete would be okay cos petes always out. i mean he had a wedding on saturday and i didnt go cos i still felt ill. i had to speak to everyone and tell them why i wasnt going because i didnt want them to think i was ignorant,and i also didnt wanna upset one of our friends cos his ex got ill one and it was serious like bad, bad.

any way so i felt bad cos i didnt go but i did get out 2 dvds and sat on the sofa. then pete got back about half 11 so i just said shhhhhhhhhh pete (which i found funny consdiering she hadnt shut up yet), have u seen hes not that into you? yeh twice.. oh really ell i didnt rate it cos i saw this thing on blockbuster........... any way you get the jist..... and the other one then came in and joined in feeling the need to include me!!

I GENUINELY CONSIDERED STICKING MY FINGERS IN MY EARS AND HUMMING TO STOP THE PAIN THAT AS HER VOICE!!

apart from that was a relaitvely good day, i really needed that rant

Leicester Fan who cant deal with moaning women and stupid work colleagues am i the only one?

Sorry. that was just a blur.

I tend to find customers annoy me a hell of a lot more than my colleagues anyway.

Correct.

Colleagues should unite against the common enemy that is customer stupidity.

Whoever coined the phrase 'the customer is always right' had clearly never set foot in a betting shop.

Correct.

Colleagues should unite against the common enemy that is customer stupidity.

Whoever coined the phrase 'the customer is always right' had clearly never set foot in a betting shop.

Saw a classic last week when I went out for dinner. There were three women at the table next to my party and they were robotically rabbiting non stop until their food arrived. Anyroad as soon as everything was placed on the table they continued in the previous vain without even a glance at the food for a good twenty minutes.

Having finally decided to dip in, one loudly exclaims that her dish isn't hot enough before proceeding to complain to the staff about her cold food. One of those laugh or cry moments.

I work with a complete nob who is an ex of my girlfriends they split up after he cheated on her 4 times.

Anyway i was out friday nite in town and saw this idiot and we chatted and talked about work and got talking to 2 girls who introduced themselves i met the missus later on in the nite then went home. Got to work today and apparently i was snogging the face off this woman id been talking to guess who had started the bullshit..... the idiot

To make matters worse my girlfriend believes him and is saying that im no better than him. Which i think the fact he cheated on her is making her jump to the wrong conclusion about the littlest thing.

I have a feeling that a right hook is in order or i could sack him as im his supervisor but both actions make me seem guilty.