Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

If you don't like holes being picked in your argument, don't start an argument in the first place.

I can't see one hole that you have picked in my argument to be fair. Not logically anyway.

One drop of rain before a storm. It makes me laugh that you can't be anti-social if you happen to speak a little better than someone else. Riding a bike on the footpath is a perfect example of anti-social behaviour, as it shows scant regard for pedestrians rightfully using it.

What has speaking better than someone else got to do with anti social behaviour and cycling on pavements :dunno: Cycling on pavements is not anti social behaviour unless you are purposely being malicious. End of.

See, you are too scared to ride on the road.

Risk? Coming from the bloke too scared to ride his bike on a road? Do you have stabilisers as well?

:rolleyes: See the Guardian link below.

But you are not commenting on something that is grinding your gears. You are sticking up for breaking the law, something that you appear, quite smugly, to revel in doing. Ooh, you rebel. :rolleyes:

Yes I am. It grinds my gears that is against the law to cycle on the pavement. :thumbup:

I shall tell you a little story. Cars are not allowed to drive down certain parts of Charles St. Quite often they are followed by police cars, who don't do anything about this fact. One day, the police did decide to do something about it, issuing on the spot fines. Some bloke moaned "I do this every day, and haven't been stopped before". The answer was "you shouldn't be doing it in the first place, you've only got yourself to blame".

Im well aware of the restrictions down Charles street. Are we talking about the bus and taxi lanes at the end? It's probably best I don't comment on that particular subject lol

The only thing I can gather from your fairy tale is the inconsistency of implementing the law. You either have a rule or you don't.

If you know anything about the police, they have little "projects", areas that they target. At the moment, it's not cyclists. But maybe the next one will.

Well until operation mountain bike is launched I will take my chances thanks.

In regards to this overblown belief you have about pedestrians being in danger I will leave you with a nice article from yesterdays guardian. It proves that motorists are the ones to be wary of not bikes. :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/ethi...e-blog-pavement

Cyclists are far more likely to be the victims than the perpetrators of irresponsible road behaviour
Pedestrians and cyclists are far more at risk from drivers than they are from one another. Motorbikes typically kill around two pedestrians a year; motor vehicles on average kill about two pedestrians a day. Even on pavements, those on foot are far more at risk from motor vehicles than bicycles. Motor vehicles kill pedestrians on pavements or verges at a rate of about 40 a year.
this latest incident is only the third time a cyclist has killed a pedestrian on the pavement this decade.

On a final note this is how it should be done. Its not a coincidence that they have separated the cyclists from motorists.

hybridcyclelane1.jpg

Edited by Jehst

In regards to this overblown belief you have about pedestrians being in danger I will leave you with a nice article from yesterdays guardian. It proves that motorists are the ones to be wary of not bikes. :)

There are millions more cars on the road than bikes, so clearly there will be more cars hitting bikes than bikes hitting pedestrians in absolute terms.

By pavement I assume you are in fact talking about the footpath? There is a hint there - FOOTpath. Get it? Just becuase you do not physically hit someone doesn't mean you are not being anti social, just like becuase my dog doesn't bite kids doesn't mean I shouldn't let it off lead in a kids playground. Casuing fear is anti social - in fact it is the most anti social thing you can do, becuase the right to walk down the street without fear of some idiot cycling into you is pretty fundamental. Perhaps you could name some anti-social behaviour you think is worse than fear of injury somewhere you should be safe?

Actually the really laughable thing about your logic is that you cannot see that your solution to bikes being at risk on the road from cars is to make pedestrians on the footpaths at risk from cyclist, as if that is somehow better.

Edited by Jon the Hat

Perhaps you could name some anti-social behaviour you think is worse than fear of injury somewhere you should be safe?

Bricking windows.

Setting someone's house alight

Setting someone's car alight

Causing a fire so that the fireman can be attacked with rocks.

Neighbour violence

Slashing car tyres

Drinking on the streets and being aggressive

Fighting

Aggressive arguing

Muggings

Burglary

Death threat

Stealing cars

Joyriding

The list is endless. Shall I add cycling on a pavement to it. NO I don't think so.

Casuing fear is anti social - in fact it is the most anti social thing you can do,

There is a difference between receiving a death threat and walking down a pavement with a cyclist on. lol Please use some common sense.

There are millions more cars on the road than bikes, so clearly there will be more cars hitting bikes than bikes hitting pedestrians in absolute terms.

:appl:

Exactly my point. The roads are now overpopulated with cars that the chance of getting hit by a car has increased. To avoid this it means cycling on the pavements. So surely by what your saying it should be ok for cyclists to cycle on pavements as risk to pedestrians by cyclists is minimum as there are less bikes and the cars are still the main concern for both.

By pavement I assume you are in fact talking about the footpath? There is a hint there - FOOTpath. Get it?

Yes sherlock I am. The footpaths may have been originally implemented for pedestrians but now that the roads have become overpopulated more cyclists have been forced to the pavements. It may be breaking the law but were only looking out for ourselves. The law is out of date and is part of Section 35 of the Highways Act 1980.

It's not 1980 anymore and times have changed on the roads. It's one of those things were you are breaking the law out of common sense, not to rebel against the system as some people seem to think.

Edited by Jehst

Yesterday two cyclists clipped me on either side as I was jogging along the Thames Path. Ground my gears no end. Quite apt considering the recent posts in this thread lol

Not all of us are lycra louts :D

Bricking windows. - Criminal Damage

Setting someone's house alight - Arson

Setting someone's car alight - Arson

Causing a fire so that the fireman can be attacked with rocks. - Arson / Assault

Neighbour violence - Assault

Slashing car tyres - Criminal Damage

Drinking on the streets and being aggressive - Exactly - causing fear.

Fighting - Usually Assault / drunk and disorderly / affray

Aggressive arguing - Again causing fear

Muggings - Robbery

Burglary - Burglary

Death threat - ah yes that all too common problem. You must get these all the time i would imagine...

Stealing cars - Taking without consent.

Joyriding - Taking without consent.

The list is endless. Shall I add cycling on a pavement to it. NO I don't think so.

A great list of crimes there - all covered by the commented laws - all way beyond anti-social behaviour except the ones noted - which again are all about causing people to fear for their safety. Do we find assault acceptable becuase it is not as bad as murder? No.

Edited by Jon the Hat

A great list of crimes there - all covered by the commented laws - all way beyond anti-social behaviour except the ones noted - which again are all about causing people to fear for their safety.

But most listed will result in an ASBO which i do believe stands for Anti Social Behaviour Order :thumbup:

Do we find assault acceptable becuase it is not as bad as murder? No.

Look this is taking it out of context. Cycling on a pavement is not anti social behaviour unless done with malicious intent FULL STOP.

That analogy is ridiculous.

A great list of crimes there - all covered by the commented laws - all way beyond anti-social behaviour except the ones noted - which again are all about causing people to fear for their safety. Do we find assault acceptable becuase it is not as bad as murder? No.

Also surely all crimes are covered by certain laws. For example cycling on a pavement is under Section 35 of the Highways Act 19 not a anti social behaviour act which doesn't exist.

There is not a specific anti social behaviour law. Each case is judged on its own merit. Then it is determined wether or not to be classed as anti social behaviour depending on the severity etc.

Think about what you are saying. I thought you were one of the clever posters on this site. :P

Edited by Jehst

But most listed will result in an ASBO which i do believe stands for Anti Social Behaviour Order :thumbup:

Look this is taking it out of context. Cycling on a pavement is not anti social behaviour unless done with malicious intent FULL STOP.

That analogy is ridiculous.

JtH is right, accept it. ASBO's are there to catch anti-social behaviour. Your list is a list of criminal acts, not only that but criminal acts that attract much stiffer penalties. Why on earth would you go for an ASBO? Thank goodness you're not in charge of the criminal justice system. Also, wtf are bleating on about malicious intent for? Where does it mention intention? I'll give you a big clue. It doesn't.

Oh, and that picture of the cycle path? You didn't mention it separates the cyclist from the pedestrian as well. Now why would that be.....

JtH is right, accept it. ASBO's are there to catch anti-social behaviour. Your list is a list of criminal acts, not only that but criminal acts that attract much stiffer penalties. Why on earth would you go for an ASBO? Thank goodness you're not in charge of the criminal justice system. Also, wtf are bleating on about malicious intent for? Where does it mention intention? I'll give you a big clue. It doesn't.

Oh, and that picture of the cycle path? You didn't mention it separates the cyclist from the pedestrian as well. Now why would that be.....

Look Lisa you have your views, I have mine. Were just going in roundabouts. Im going to leave it at that.

The day I have to wear a tag and be home before ten because I cycled down a pavement is the day I leave the country.

Your clutching at straws on a law which is 29 years out of date. Things have moved on.

Look Lisa you have your views, I have mine. Were just going in roundabouts. Im going to leave it at that.

The day I have to wear a tag and be home before ten because I cycled down a pavement is the day I leave the country.

Your clutching at straws on a law which is 29 years out of date. Things have moved on.

Fair enough, I still hope you're fined.

Starting doing work late in the evening... then carrying on going... and going... and going... still going... until eventually you realise you've been up all bloody night. :angry:

:yawn:

I'm now off to bed. :( Zzzzzzzzz

Starting doing work late in the evening... then carrying on going... and going... and going... still going... until eventually you realise you've been up all bloody night. :angry:

:yawn:

I'm now off to bed. :( Zzzzzzzzz

You hate everything dont you.

... When you have a block and you don't know how to spell a simple word.

Just had one with Lincoln and I am still sure that's not how you spell it.

One time in Year 4 I forgot how to spell 'of'. That was ridiculous as I had a spelling age of about 10 years above my real age. lol