Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it shouldn't, but surely a lad who's had too much to drink and gets carried away (serious as that is) is not quite the same as a guy wearing a balaclava jumping out of a bush and raping at knifepoint.

That's fucking ridiculous.

Surely the severity of the crime should be measured from the perspective of the victim? If the end result is some poor girl (or boy) getting raped then what exactly does it matter how her attacker came to do it? I can accept a degree of diminished responsibility when it comes to learning disabilities or instances of extreme mental health, that's why we have pleas of NGRI. But "having too much to drink and getting carried away" isn't a defence at all.

• Like 2

That's fucking ridiculous.

Surely the severity of the crime should be measured from the perspective of the victim? If the end result is some poor girl (or boy) getting raped then what exactly does it matter how her attacker came to do it? I can accept a degree of diminished responsibility when it comes to learning disabilities or instances of extreme mental health, that's why we have pleas of NGRI. But "having too much to drink and getting carried away" isn't a defence at all.

Get of your horse will you. When did anybody say that any rape wasn't terrible, or it shouldn't be punished?

Like all crimes there are levels of severity which is reflected in the sentencing given by the judge. It's hardly a shocking new revelation.

• Like 1

Get of your horse will you. When did anybody say that any rape wasn't terrible, or it shouldn't be punished?

Like all crimes there are levels of severity which is reflected in the sentencing given by the judge. It's hardly a shocking new revelation.

Make violent rape a seperate crime with a more severe punishment. The suggestion that rapists should be given reduced sentences for giving an early guilty plea is ****ing laughable.

Why not just say to the victim is was their fault and let the bloke go free straight away?!

Sorry but attitudes to rape in the judicial system fvcking do my head in.

Make violent rape a seperate crime with a more severe punishment. The suggestion that rapists should be given reduced sentences for giving an early guilty plea is ****ing laughable.

Why not just say to the victim is was their fault and let the bloke go free straight away?!

Sorry but attitudes to rape in the judicial system fvcking do my head in.

There's no correlation between your first and second statement. At least if a bloke admits early it saves the victim having to go through a trial or the chance he might get away with it. Plea bargaining is an awful concept but sometimes you have to be pragmatic.

As for the judiciary, everybody deserves a fair trial, quite often it's one person's word against another and very hard to prove. If any of us were on trial we'd all want and expect the same protection under the law.

• Like 1

Was in a cafe in Wells Next The Sea yesterday morning having breakfast overlooking the quatside, nice and peaceful. Then in came 2 girls and 3 lads, who had obviously had a heavy night. I knew this because they keep going on about hungover they were... loudly, at length and in detail. One of the girls, the most vocal of all, moaned that she just wanted to be left alone... constantly... I nearly got up and told her that so it was okay for her to be left alone but she was damn well gonna make sure that she inflicted herself upon everyone else in the cafe, which seemed to be fine by her. When the owner came over and told them to keep it down, she moaned about wanting to be left alone... so we did. She moaned about all the food too, which was decent food and cheap to boot, so what was to complain about.

So what grinds my gears is people who are intent on inflicting themselves on others.

Oh yes, and the other annoying thing they did... laugh... at everything.

Now I like to see people enjoying themselves, but when it becomes "I droves us home last night, HAHAHAHAHAHA!", "Yes, I remember coming out of the pub, HAHAHAAHAHA!", "Look, there's a seagull, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" It's almost as if they've forgotten how to communicate and they have substituted humour for puntuation.

Gene the end shallow of pool.

Was in a cafe in Wells Next The Sea yesterday morning having breakfast overlooking the quatside, nice and peaceful. Then in came 2 girls and 3 lads, who had obviously had a heavy night. I knew this because they keep going on about hungover they were... loudly, at length and in detail. One of the girls, the most vocal of all, moaned that she just wanted to be left alone... constantly... I nearly got up and told her that so it was okay for her to be left alone but she was damn well gonna make sure that she inflicted herself upon everyone else in the cafe, which seemed to be fine by her. When the owner came over and told them to keep it down, she moaned about wanting to be left alone... so we did. She moaned about all the food too, which was decent food and cheap to boot, so what was to complain about.

So what grinds my gears is people who are intent on inflicting themselves on others.

Oh yes, and the other annoying thing they did... laugh... at everything.

Now I like to see people enjoying themselves, but when it becomes "I droves us home last night, HAHAHAHAHAHA!", "Yes, I remember coming out of the pub, HAHAHAAHAHA!", "Look, there's a seagull, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" It's almost as if they've forgotten how to communicate and they have substituted humour for puntuation.

Gene the end shallow of pool.

Being hungover and out it public is hard. And not enjoyable :P

There's no correlation between your first and second statement. At least if a bloke admits early it saves the victim having to go through a trial or the chance he might get away with it. Plea bargaining is an awful concept but sometimes you have to be pragmatic.

As for the judiciary, everybody deserves a fair trial, quite often it's one person's word against another and very hard to prove. If any of us were on trial we'd all want and expect the same protection under the law.

There's very little chance of a fair trial when it comes to rape as a friend of my step daughter recently found out. The prosecution brought up her sexual history, if she was drunk, what she was wearing etc as evidence against her. The public is still sufficiently misogynistic to take on board all this bollocks and have their perception of the victim tainted by this nonsense rather than focusing on the rape.

There's very little chance of a fair trial when it comes to rape as a friend of my step daughter recently found out. The prosecution brought up her sexual history, if she was drunk, what she was wearing etc as evidence against her. The public is still sufficiently misogynistic to take on board all this bollocks and have their perception of the victim tainted by this nonsense rather than focusing on the rape.

This may be true of course , but conversely a man accused of rape is seen as automatically guilty by most people and his identity is known , unlike his accuser who could just be a vindictive liar .( contrary to what some feminists believe , women are capable of lying )

Dominique Strauss-Kahn has already suffered a great deal by any reckoning and he's not even been tried yet , and

if he is guilty then all well and good , but what if he's not ?

• Like 1

Was in a cafe in Wells Next The Sea yesterday morning having breakfast overlooking the quatside, nice and peaceful.

I love Wells next the Sea. Were you stopping at the camp/caravan site?

I love Wells next the Sea. Were you stopping at the camp/caravan site?

Yeah, Pinewoods. Got a friend who owns a caravan there so cheap holidays.

It's not really the place you go to on hols for drunken revelries. Should have some nice piccies with new camera that I will post in the photography thread if they're decent enough.

The worst thing is I live with one other person, and he's in Southampton. He comes back tomorrow evening. I'm trapped in my house with only cereal to eat!

Takeaways deliver to fancy places like London, y'know. :whistle: