Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Heading back towards the general gist of the topic, the reports about the conclusion of the trial for that belfield-dowler incident were slightly irritating, mainly that dowler girl's parents complaining that justice hadn't been done, that justice was "an eye for an eye" and that belfield should pay the ultimate price for his crimes.

We don't have the death penalty here, a life sentence is the most he could have faced but also an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, by wanting him dead you're no better than he is.

Edit:

Finally someone who agrees.

Love it how words get twisted to someones benefit large al. At no point did I use the word 'beat'.

Its not a lack of parenting skills, its just when kids over step the mark big time then they deserve it. I think I kicked my brother in the chest in the dentist waiting room the 1st time I got belted. I think that warranted the belt to be fair

no, however you have talked about "Getting the belt, a slap on the head or arse" as a way of teaching kids respect..

you can dress it up all you want but hitting a child with a belt or slapping them is beating a child.

Edited by LargeAl

'anti social filth' whos stereotyping now?

I'm not going in to it, but i'd class my parents as middle class, certainly not anti social filth

I'm not stereotyping. I'm just saying, the staggering majority of people I see hitting their kids in public (or screaming in their faces) are foul mouthed, obnoxious and anti-social. And if challenged (for example, by a shopkeeper in a store they may be in) are quite likely to be extremely hostile and aggressive.

Finally someone who agrees.

Love it how words get twisted to someones benefit large al. At no point did I use the word 'beat'.

Its not a lack of parenting skills, its just when kids over step the mark big time then they deserve it. I think I kicked my brother in the chest in the dentist waiting room the 1st time I got belted. I think that warranted the belt to be fair

lol Me and my brothers always used to get on pretty well, but as soon as we went to the dentist for some unkown reason we just loved to annoy each other and turn into absolute shits!

Oh, so by your reasoning - if you were play-fighting with your brother and accidently broke his arm, you'd deserve for your parents to beat you into hospital too?

The majority of us know theres a massive lack of respect by todays kids. Something has to be done.

Getting the belt, a slap on the head or arse has not done me any harm, and I believe I too am polite and courteous

! 'Today's kids', what, every one? What a ridiculous generalisation. Was anti social behaviour/swearing/violence etc suddenly invented in the last few years? If anything it's the violent parents you seem to be vindicating that lead to everything your moaning about. Get a grip!

Edited by sdb

Im 24, im not talking about respect from kids when I was a kid. We were equally as bad as todays. Im talking about 60 odd years ago

A 24 year old talking about life 60 years ago. Umm....

Edited by sdb

Oh and asha, I wasn't play fighting.

I done it to hurt him. You lefties really do try twisting posts to suit your arguments don't you?

First of all, it's "I did it to hurt him".

Secondly, so what if you did this to hurt your brother?

Suppose back when you were a kid you were play fighting with your brother and you injured him. You'd be fine with your parents beating you and potentially injuring you as well?

If a parent hasn't installed respect in to there kids by teaching them right and wrong then that is, in effect, there fault. NO WAY should a young, defenceless child be hit by an adult, because he/she may have been shouting, or playing up in any way. I never got hit. When my dad raised his voice, i knew he was angry.

The kids of today, just no respect.

vyvyan_young_ones.jpg

Classic Finners in the middle of a , rather heated debate. All hail Finners!

Edited by Mee
  • Like 1

Oh and asha, I wasn't play fighting.

I done it to hurt him. You lefties really do try twisting posts to suit your arguments don't you?

Surely if you did it to hurt him you're just as much as an "unrespectful youth" as anyone of today. Surely kicking anyone in the chest and sending them to hospital is more disrespectful as anyone.

• Like 1

If a parent hasn't installed respect in to there kids by teaching them right and wrong then that is, in effect, there fault. NO WAY should a young, defenceless child be hit by an adult, because he/she may have been shouting, or playing up in any way. I never got hit. When my dad raised his voice, i knew he was angry.

Instilled & their.

Sorry, I can be a right grammar nazi.

Completely agree though, If a child isn't respectful because they haven't learnt right and wrong it is the parents fault & simply raising their voice should be enough to tell the child that their behaviour wasn't acceptable.

Instilled & their.Sorry, I can be a right grammar nazi.Completely agree though, If a child isn't respectful because they haven't learnt right and wrong it is the parents fault & simply raising their voice should be enough to tell the child that their behaviour wasn't acceptable.

Screw you!!

Is it just me or does he look quite a bit like Mee-9 (I hope I've got the right Mee there).Without the stars on his head, obviously.

Erm...not really lol. Although i can slightly see where you are coming on, but very, very slightly.

Surely if you did it to hurt him you're just as much as an "unrespectful youth" as anyone of today. Surely kicking anyone in the chest and sending them to hospital is more disrespectful as anyone.

Are you a single child?

If not, and you've never hurt your brother than you must be fcking perfect.

My parents aren't hitlers going around inflicting pain when they felt like it! Of course if its play fighting its different. As I said, I overstepped the mark, and got what I deserved. Didn't do it again! And yes I was a bit disrespectful as a kid, but my whole point is that after being belted that time, or a slap on the arse or whatever, I wasn't disrespectfull again!!

A slap on the arse never hurt no one....

Wrong.

Let's use lcfcstu's reference to 'being belted'.

Getting physically attacked, at a young age, by one's parents - those who at that age you completely depend on - is always going to be completely traumatic for the child. And of course, in that situation all children can do is repress those feelings of anger and hate towards their parents at getting beaten because they're not in a position to really do anything about them, seeing as they're so vulnerable.

Therefore, many kids who have been beaten by their parents maintain lines throughout life such as 'I deserved it', and 'my parents only did what was necessary' (sound familiar, lcfcstu?) when in actual fact they're withholding some thoughts contradictory to that in their unconscious because they can't bring themselves to think their parents were anything other than 'model parents'.