Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Didn't realise how much eBay/PayPal actually take off you. Spent ages trying to work out why my PayPal balance was less than it should be, because they charge on every transaction. And they charge 10% on the final eBay sale price.

Robbing bastards :frantics:

Assualt?

Its called discipline

If someone in the street took their belt and lamped you with it you'd call it assault, wouldn't you?

At least you're big enough to have probably had worse. Yet it's somehow fine when you do it to someone defenceless and about a fifth your size?

I meet a few parents with strong opinions about hitting children, they always say things like" I've never hit my children and they are good well adjusted kids", and then you actually meet their kids and you think, Hmmm.

And what would you consider "doing something wrong" in that context?

What to someone in the street? I dunno, calling them a willy puller perhaps? There are some things that if someone did, they'd expect to get a smack.

I might be able to go into a bit more depth now I'm on the Pc and not on my mobile.

Of course there are other punishments that should be given out before physical punishment- EG- Having pocket money stopped, being grounded, shouting at them etc. Though I really don't see the point in shouting if you're not going to follow through with something if they persist. I'm not saying smacking is right for every child. My Uncle is a social worker so I know he has never hit my cousins, but they are as polite and couteous as you could wish for. But that doesn't mean every kid will respond with the same parental treatment my aunty and uncle give.

The main problem is that we're supposed to give kids what I'd describe as too much respect. People trying to get into their minds and see how they work. I bet the majority on here will know someone who's deemed to have that ADHD. To me, and I don't want to cause offence, thats a load of bollocks. Its just a name tag given to an unruly kid who cannot be controlled. People didn't have ADHD 50 years ago! So we get all these teachers, child psycologists etc trying to help these kids and reason with them into being better behaved, when all they need really is a slap now and again when they step out of line. It sounds crude, but I think if you took a step back a bit you'd see in some instances what I'm saying makes sense.

Of course the other thing that would really work to discipline kids would be to bring back National Service. Yeh its old fashioned, but again it didn't do anyone any harm before.

(awaits the list of posters slagging me off for being old fashioned, and the reasons why our precious children shouldn't be forced into doing something they don't want to do)

• Like 2

What to someone in the street? I dunno, calling them a willy puller perhaps? There are some things that if someone did, they'd expect to get a smack.

I might be able to go into a bit more depth now I'm on the Pc and not on my mobile.

Of course there are other punishments that should be given out before physical punishment- EG- Having pocket money stopped, being grounded, shouting at them etc. Though I really don't see the point in shouting if you're not going to follow through with something if they persist. I'm not saying smacking is right for every child. My Uncle is a social worker so I know he has never hit my cousins, but they are as polite and couteous as you could wish for. But that doesn't mean every kid will respond with the same parental treatment my aunty and uncle give.

The main problem is that we're supposed to give kids what I'd describe as too much respect. People trying to get into their minds and see how they work. I bet the majority on here will know someone who's deemed to have that ADHD. To me, and I don't want to cause offence, thats a load of bollocks. Its just a name tag given to an unruly kid who cannot be controlled. People didn't have ADHD 50 years ago! So we get all these teachers, child psycologists etc trying to help these kids and reason with them into being better behaved, when all they need really is a slap now and again when they step out of line. It sounds crude, but I think if you took a step back a bit you'd see in some instances what I'm saying makes sense.

Of course the other thing that would really work to discipline kids would be to bring back National Service. Yeh its old fashioned, but again it didn't do anyone any harm before.

(awaits the list of posters slagging me off for being old fashioned, and the reasons why our precious children shouldn't be forced into doing something they don't want to do)

The level of ignorance and lack of any real knowledge on this subject that you demonstrate in the above post is simply embarrassing for you.

Edited by Nick

You think if someone calls you a willy puller then physically beating them should cease to be assault?

No, it would be assault, but a grown bloke is responsible for their own actions.

edit- Not sure why you're trying to pick holes in something thats basically a side issue from the main subject.

Edited by lcfcstu

The level of ignorance and lack of any real knowledge on this subject that you demonstrate in the above post is simply embarrassing for you.

Go on then...

Children haven't changed (mentally) Its PC people looking for excuses.

How about dyslexia? To me, and a lot of people I know it just means you're thick. Some "dyslexic" people know admit that as well!

No, it would be assault, but a grown bloke is responsible for their own actions.

So it would still be assault but you accept that adults are more aware and more responsible for what they are doing?

Yet you're absolved of a crime for doing the same to a small child who you accept has diminished responsibility and a lesser understanding of the world?

When I was around 5 or 6 we used to live in Belgrave. One day I was sat on the front step with another kid when showing off to this other lad I called some Indian ladies , out of earshot, wogs. My dad overheard this and dragged me inside and gave me a couple of good clouts across the backside and told me to never say anything like that again.

From that moment I knew racism was wrong. I didn't know why, how could I , I was a 6 year old. Understanding came later.

To say that kids who are well disciplined are more likely to be bullies than parents ignore their child's bad behaviour because of some idealogical theory or laziness or some mistaken attitude that they are friends with their kids and don't want to upset them is laughably stupid. As is comparing a smack on the backside or hand with bludgeoning.

So it would still be assault but you accept that adults are more aware and more responsible for what they are doing?

Yet you're absolved of a crime for doing the same to a small child who you accept has diminished responsibility and a lesser understanding of the world?

No.

When I first brought this subject up, to be fair I never really specified an age of when smacking could perhaps be deemed acceptbale. I'm not talking about 0-5 years old getting the belt cos they've passed wind. I'm talking about older kids, who SHOULD know better, or rather Do know better, but they just choose not to!

When I was around 5 or 6 we used to live in Belgrave. One day I was sat on the front step with another kid when showing off to this other lad I called some Indian ladies , out of earshot, wogs. My dad overheard this and dragged me inside and gave me a couple of good clouts across the backside and told me to never say anything like that again.

From that moment I knew racism was wrong. I didn't know why, how could I , I was a 6 year old. Understanding came later.

To say that kids who are well disciplined are more likely to be bullies than parents ignore their child's bad behaviour because of some idealogical theory or laziness or some mistaken attitude that they are friends with their kids and don't want to upset them is laughably stupid. As is comparing a smack on the backside or hand with bludgeoning.

Exaclty.

I always knew racism was wrong, because I was told racism was wrong and it was explained to me that racism was wrong.

This is what I hate about the argument; people use the fact that they were beaten as a kid and "weren't harmed by it" as an excuse, as a justification. Surely that's irrelevant? You want to be looking at the people who have come out perfectly fine without actually being hit at all and go "oh, well alright."

Nobody's saying that every child who's ever smacked turns out to be some spawn of Satan, bubbling with pent up rage. But if you can achieve the same level of discipline, care and understanding by NOT smacking your child then surely that's better?

Would any sane, rational human being not - wherever possible - want to take the route in life that does NOT involve violence?

• Like 3

I always knew racism was wrong, because I was told racism was wrong and it was explained to me that racism was wrong.

This is what I hate about the argument; people use the fact that they were beaten as a kid and "weren't harmed by it" as an excuse, as a justification. Surely that's irrelevant? You want to be looking at the people who have come out perfectly fine without actually being hit at all and go "oh, well alright."

Nobody's saying that every child who's ever smacked turns out to be some spawn of Satan, bubbling with pent up rage. But if you can achieve the same level of discipline, care and understanding by NOT smacking your child then surely that's better?Would any sane, rational human being not - wherever possible - want to take the route in life that does NOT involve violence?

You've answered your second sentence with your first sentence. Every child is different!

Edited by lcfcstu

Some children need a firmer sort of discipline than others

I’m fairly sure that most kids can be taught very easily without any smacking, but then I’m fairly sure there are a few that really cannot be brought to account by words alone.

I think most parents know the level to which physical punishment should be administered but of course there will be exceptions and they should be severely dealt with.

But to tar every parent who uses some form of physical punishment with violent ones is ridiculous

As usual Britain’s guardians of moral conscience will see it as a totally black and white situation