Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

American commentaters calling our game soccer. NY Red Bulls 0- ! LA Galaxy (on ESPN) Western Conferance semi final play off first leg.

David Beckham Robbie Keane Thierry Henry to name three players.

Aaaagh. 'Putting presure on the back line.'

Pitch isn't very good either.

Soccer is often percieved incorrectly as an Americanism, infact it was common for the brits to use the word 'soccer' , its only in the last 30 years we more commonly use football instead.

Why shouldnt american commentators be american? American Fans understand those phrases.

Soccer is often percieved incorrectly as an Americanism, infact it was common for the brits to use the word 'soccer' , its only in the last 30 years we more commonly use football instead.

Why shouldnt american commentators be american? American Fans understand those phrases.

quite right , as kids we always called it soccer although how it evolved from the word "association" i'll never know

Edited by pSinatra

Biting into what was supposed to be a vegetarian sausage roll and finding out that it's actually a meat one :sick:

This isn't a dig at you foxy it's more of a question, but I really don't get the whole meat substitute used in a product that is based around meat.

As in why can't people think up new ways to eat a meat substitute that doesn't involve a foodstuff that is, like a sausage roll or a burger, intent on being a meat product.

I know it's a meat substitute but I don't get why it's not just a substitute in the purest form, i.e. it gives you everything you need which would be obtained from meat and is not actually a substitute in a more physical sense.

From my point of view it seems odd that vegetarians will say they don't want to eat meat, but then go and buy loads of foodstuffs which are imitations of a meat product. If I was a veggie I don't think I'd want to go anywhere near something that was imitating.

It genuinely puzzles me.

Edited by ajthefox

This isn't a dig at you foxy it's more of a question, but I really don't get the whole meat substitute used in a product that is based around meat.

As in why can't people think up new ways to eat a meat substitute that doesn't involve a foodstuff that is, like a sausage roll or a burger, intent on being a meat product.

From my point of view it seems odd that vegetarians will say they don't want to eat meat, but then go and buy loads of foodstuffs which are imitations of a meat product.

It genuinely puzzles me.

Me too.

Biting into what was supposed to be a vegetarian sausage roll and finding out that it's actually a meat one :sick:

Never understood people eating 'imitation' foods. You want a Sausage Roll? Eat a bloody Sausage Roll! The clue is in the name.

If you want a Vegetarian Roll/Pasty, Get one, and they would be pretty much no risk of getting one with meat it.

:P

Edited by Matt

Never understood people eating 'imitation' foods. You want a Sausage Roll? Eat a bloody Sausage Roll! The clue is in the name.

If you want a Vegetarian Roll/Pasty, Get one, and they would be pretty much no risk of getting one with meat it.

:P

Worse still is that the meat subsitute, tast nothing like meat, infact majority taste shit!!! You want meat taste, eat meat!!!!

• Like 1

I know it's a meat substitute but I don't get why it's not just a substitute in the purest form, i.e. it gives you everything you need which would be obtained from meat and is not actually a substitute in a more physical sense.

From my point of view it seems odd that vegetarians will say they don't want to eat meat, but then go and buy loads of foodstuffs which are imitations of a meat product. If I was a veggie I don't think I'd want to go anywhere near something that was imitating.

It genuinely puzzles me.

Because they like the taste of meat and meat dishes but they prefer not to eat animals?

Not really a difficult concept to grasp... :whistle:

From my experience most veggie food looks dull. It's nut loaf (if you can eat nuts) carrot soup spuds beans and lettuce. Maybe some pasta. Not a lot to play with. You are supposed to have veg with meat not veg with veg. So some expensive imitation sausages makes the plate look prettier. :crylaugh:

Don't feed the leftovers to your dog though or it may run away. :crylaugh:

I enjoy meat though so have not looked too closely at the veggie options. My niece is a vegitarian and seperate meals have to be made for her. At Uni now so she does it herself.. I have had veg broths which can be OK if spiced up..

Edited to insert missing part.

Edited by Nightguard

My Mrs made me a Spag Bol with Quorn once, only once mind you. She didnt tell me it was Quorn but i questioned its authenticity straight away.

I`v just made a casserole for tonights dinner. Celery, peas, sweetcorn, carrots, parsnips, green and red peppers, 2 cloves of garlic, condiments, onion, spring, onions, potatos, dumplings, chicken, bacon and 4 lamb chops rammed in for good luck.

Could be nice without the meat but i`m not gonna risk it.

Majority taste shit and nothing like meat, that is why the concept is difficult to grasp, poo poo head!!!!:lei1:

lol Behave.

I genuinely know a lot of people who choose to eat it over meat, probably for health reasons rather than taste, but even still it can't THAT bad if people who eat meat still happily eat it.

In most dishes meat is used as the bulk ingredient and other things are added to flavour the dish - surely this is the same for vegeterians and meat substitute?

Sounds like people just need to learn how to cook :whistle:

lol Behave.

I genuinely know a lot of people who choose to eat it over meat, probably for health reasons rather than taste, but even still it can't THAT bad if people who eat meat still happily eat it.

In most dishes meat is used as the bulk ingredient and other things are added to flavour the dish - surely this is the same for vegeterians and meat substitute?

Sounds like people just need to learn how to cook :whistle:

I disagree, different meats have different qualities and different taste, eg the exact ingredients are used to make chicken and lamb curries, but the look the taste the texture of the curry are totally diiferent, same with casserole dishes, pies etc where meat may not be the majority, the juices from the meat add to the dish............................I think your right, some people just need to learn how to cook.

BTW, half of y family are veggies, and I have tried virutally every veggie substitute that there is, and I have suffered from the constant attempt to trick me and I have to say only the quorn 'chicken' substitute comes close and that's only with strong flavours!!!

I disagree, different meats have different qualities and different taste, eg the exact ingredients are used to make chicken and lamb curries, but the look the taste the texture of the curry are totally diiferent, same with casserole dishes, pies etc where meat may not be the majority, the juices from the meat add to the dish............................I think your right, some people just need to learn how to cook.

BTW, half of y family are veggies, and I have tried virutally every veggie substitute that there is, and I have suffered from the constant attempt to trick me and I have to say only the quorn 'chicken' substitute comes close and that's only with strong flavours!!!

Agree that meat can often be used for flavouring and I should really change 'most' to 'some', and that's something you have to accept and sacrifice if you're going to become a vege.

But despite what we think about how realistic it is or isn't, the fact still remains that the reason veggies eat it is because they can't get any closer to the taste without either eating meat or becoming a food scientist/engineer, and as such they'd probably rather have a fake burger with the trimmings at a family BBQ than what is effectively a salad roll, and they'd probably rather have a vege bolognese than what is effectively pasta and sauce.

That's the part I can't understand people are struggling with?

Agree that meat can often be used for flavouring and I should really change 'most' to 'some', and that's something you have to accept and sacrifice if you're going to become a vege.

But despite what we think about how realistic it is or isn't, the fact still remains that the reason veggies eat it is because they can't get any closer to the taste without either eating meat or becoming a food scientist/engineer, and as such they'd probably rather have a fake burger with the trimmings at a family BBQ than what is effectively a salad roll, and they'd probably rather have a vege bolognese than what is effectively pasta and sauce.

I'm not a veggie bud, so for me the problem is really odd, but most veggies I know eat the substitute as you say to add a filling or just for protein, but what grinds my gear os that they say that shit is nice, and it's not!!

Do you eat fish ? Theres quite a few fish with meaty characteristics like shark and tuna...

It genuinely puzzles me.

I use meat substitutes very rarely and usually only for handiness (ie hangovers). Once you get the hang of cooking veggie food then there's (I feel) very little need for direct meat substitutes like Quorn etc unless you really like the flavour of them.

Most veggie food looks dull. It's nut loaf (if you can eat nuts) carrot soup spuds beans and lettuce. Maybe some pasta. Not a lot to play with. You are supposed to have veg with meat not veg with veg. So some expensive imitation sausages makes the plate look prettier.

Don't feed the leftovers to your dog though or it may run away.

A surprisingly ignorant sweeping statement from you, Nightguard.

Like any meal, it's all down to the chef.

I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of a meat free diet as it's down to personal choice but let's refrain talking bollocks.