Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Discount for 'luxuries' given to those on benefits.

I work at a leisure centre whilst i complete my degree and almost everything is half price if you're work shy. Why would being out of work entitle you to a cheap swim, badminton court or session at the gym?

Surely these things are luxuries afforded to those than have the money to pay for them. I'd like to eat at fancy restaurants but my budget doesn't allow it. I get over it.

I'm not as annoyed with the scroungers as I am with the council who offer them this absurd discount!

And before I'm accused of double standards, I also disagree with student discounts on anything other than essential university supplies.

Edited by Shilton's_Godson
  • Like 1

I'm on benefits (JSA) and all I get is half price travel on buses. There is a offer in the Longstop where there is a discount for bus pass holders but was told its only on food not beer. I cant even afford the meals at discount. I was also told by the 'emergancy fund' people that £5 a day spending was too much and would have to cut down. So now I'm living on Iceland meal for ones at £1 each or tins of supermarket home brand soups. Life of luxuary? Not quite.

I'm on benefits (JSA) and all I get is half price travel on buses. There is a offer in the Longstop where there is a discount for bus pass holders but was told its only on food not beer. I cant even afford the meals at discount. I was also told by the 'emergancy fund' people that £5 a day spending was too much and would have to cut down. So now I'm living on Iceland meal for ones at £1 each or tins of supermarket home brand soups. Life of luxuary? Not quite.

Mate, you can make plenty of meals for less than a quid.

My daughter made a veggie curry at school this week and it was lovely. Nice with a chili naan or if you want, a few rounds of lightly toasted bread.

Tin of chick peas (less than 40p)

1 onion (chopped)

2 cloves of Garlic (crushed)

1 large potato (cut into 2cm cubes)

1 carrot (chopped)

1 green pepper (chopped)

1 stick of celery (chopped)

100g cauliflower (chopped)

2 stock cubes-250 ml water

2 tsp curry powder

1tsp chili

sunflower oil

2 tsp of garam masala

Other than the chick peas potato and onion, the other veg can be left out or changed with anything you want to or have at hand. Super markets tend to have a reduced produce section where you`d be able to get some bargains.

Pasta dishes are good value too. A big bag of pasta from the super market would make you loads of meals. I use cheap pasta sauces (30 odd pence a jar, Dolmio can fek off) when i cook and add my own herbs/spices to get the taste.

Fly an onion, lob any veg or meat (optional) in, when veg or meat is cooked add sauce, tin of tomatos (chopped) and simmer on low heat for 10 mins or so. Pour over cooked pasta and grate some cheese over the top. You`ll have more than one meal out of that. :thumbup:

Shepards pie and stews are also cheap and easy to make and nice at this time of year.

Edited by WTF BBQ

I can do stews. Just used to a better lifestyle the last few years. I dont have a cooker only a microwave. No room for one and where it was before it was under the smoke alarm. Not good when frying bacon. I have a two ring hotplate but had a clerout sometime ago dumping some saucepans. I have done similar in the microwave. Stewing meat oxo, varous veg fresh or frozen a tin of soup and it lasts a couple of days.

The last few months I have been going out every day, a most days popping in a pub sometimes having a pub meal. On Sundays weatherspoons for a lunch. Never realised how fast my money was going down and I expected some job to come along or my compensation to be settled. Sorting it out now though. My spending has drastically been reduced the last fortnight. Sold a radio/CD player.

My brother has kindly bought my rail tickets to go up and stay with him for my birthday. Going they are First Class but he said they were cheaper than normal ones. Also sent me the money to buy my senior Railcard when I get one.

I have some packets of pasta somewhere. I will have to sort some food out soon.

I can do stews. Just used to a better lifestyle the last few years. I dont have a cooker only a microwave. No room for one and where it was before it was under the smoke alarm. Not good when frying bacon. I have a two ring hotplate but had a clerout sometime ago dumping some saucepans. I have done similar in the microwave. Stewing meat oxo, varous veg fresh or frozen a tin of soup and it lasts a couple of days.

The last few months I have been going out every day, a most days popping in a pub sometimes having a pub meal. On Sundays weatherspoons for a lunch. Never realised how fast my money was going down and I expected some job to come along or my compensation to be settled. Sorting it out now though. My spending has drastically been reduced the last fortnight. Sold a radio/CD player.

My brother has kindly bought my rail tickets to go up and stay with him for my birthday. Going they are First Class but he said they were cheaper than normal ones. Also sent me the money to buy my senior Railcard when I get one.

I have some packets of pasta somewhere. I will have to sort some food out soon.

Didnt realise things were that bad mate. :blush:

Hope your luck turns around soon. :fc:

• Like 1

Bloody alarm clocks.

I fell asleep about midday. Woke up 5-10 minutes ago, looked at my alarm clock and it said half 12. I thought not too bad until I looked at the date and it said Monday. Got into an almighty panic about having missed an exam I've got (scheduled for Monday morning), then I looked at my phone, and my computer and both said it was still Sunday and 2 hours on from when I fell asleep.

That alarm clocks going in the draw until I can work out how to fix it.

I don't know your circumstances but if you're on JSA for anything other than lazy arseness then I apologise but there's plenty of work around for any one willing (and realistically able) to find it. I'm currently doing a full time degree as a mature student yet still managed to hold down 30 hours of minimum wage work. I was a college lecturer before I decided to return to study so if I can swallow my pride and work for £6 per hour then anyone can.

I'm still of the opinion that JSA should only be given out as food and clothing vouchers and can only be redeemed against essentials and with ID. Fags, booze, Sky TV, in fact any TV, cars are not essentials.

I could go on. The current welfare system grinds my gears more than most things....

Edit: Apart from christians and other believers of the supernatural.

Edited by Shilton's_Godson

I applied for a job a couple of weeks ago and was asked to meet someone about the vacancy. When I got there he said he had about another four applicants to see after me and in all had 40-50 people apply. The job? Eight hours a week, four sat/Sun litter picking at St. Georges Retail Park.

I have Email alerts come through from several job sites. jobs that are supposed to match my details are Oxford, northampton, Derby,London amongst other out of the way places. also had them come through for care home managers, dental nurses,teachers, HR managers. I have applied for cleaning jobs and have had no reply or they have filled the position.

I do not have the qualifications to apply for jobs such as teachers tecnichians. I do not have a trade or experience. I am at the age where it would not be worth a company to take me on for a long term training plan. I do not have experience in even the most menial occupuations.

It may be easy for some to obtain jobs but for many others it is not. Once I get a job I will do my best I can for the company but no company seem to want to take a risk these days with inexperience applicants. This is just an observation based on my experience of the short time that I have been out of work.

My list of job types on job search sites include:

Security officer

traffic warden

carpark attendant

litter picker

packer

cleaner

caretaker

night porter

Unskilled laborour

and others

Can't do much more than I am doing.

Transport is esential to get to interviews as may well be the internet these days.

I do not smoke, have cut down my drinking to the minimum.

Edited by Nightguard

WTF BBQ : Just did some pasta, had some frozen veg pork mince a couple of Oxos a tin of beef and veg soup and seasonedwith chilli powder and a couple slices of bread to dip. . Nice bowl of stew. Got some left for later. Not really enough for another day. Found a couple of frozen meals in the freezer so have enough to last me till I go away next saturday. Next week I won't need much as I will be at my brothers. About finished my IT course so I can be more flexible when searching for work. It was free but if I paid it would cost over £200 for the course.

WTF BBQ : Just did some pasta, had some frozen veg pork mince a couple of Oxos a tin of beef and veg soup and seasonedwith chilli powder and a couple slices of bread to dip. . Nice bowl of stew. Got some left for later. Not really enough for another day. Found a couple of frozen meals in the freezer so have enough to last me till I go away next saturday. Next week I won't need much as I will be at my brothers. About finished my IT course so I can be more flexible when searching for work. It was free but if I paid it would cost over £200 for the course.

:thumbup:

Hope the IT course pays off.

:)

I applied for a job a couple of weeks ago and was asked to meet someone about the vacancy. When I got there he said he had about another four applicants to see after me and in all had 40-50 people apply. The job? Eight hours a week, four sat/Sun litter picking at St. Georges Retail Park.

I have Email alerts come through from several job sites. jobs that are supposed to match my details are Oxford, northampton, Derby,London amongst other out of the way places. also had them come through for care home managers, dental nurses,teachers, HR managers. I have applied for cleaning jobs and have had no reply or they have filled the position.

I do not have the qualifications to apply for jobs such as teachers tecnichians. I do not have a trade or experience. I am at the age where it would not be worth a company to take me on for a long term training plan. I do not have experience in even the most menial occupuations.

It may be easy for some to obtain jobs but for many others it is not. Once I get a job I will do my best I can for the company but no company seem to want to take a risk these days with inexperience applicants. This is just an observation based on my experience of the short time that I have been out of work.

My list of job types on job search sites include:

Security officer

traffic warden

carpark attendant

litter picker

packer

cleaner

caretaker

night porter

Unskilled laborour

and others

Can't do much more than I am doing.

Transport is esential to get to interviews as may well be the internet these days.

I do not smoke, have cut down my drinking to the minimum.

There must be more jobs going leading up to xmas? Premier Inn are recruiting I believe. Caterpillar are too if you look on their site. Really hope you find something soon

Waiting for a flatmate in the kitchen to finish off whatever michelin star dish he's cooking today so I can shamefully put together pizza and chips.

lol that was always me in halls.

The guy two rooms up was a New Yorker called Chris, one of the nicest people I've ever met. He was a real foodie and used to spend hours in there cooking up some fantastic food (slight over-appreciator of pesto, but still) and there'd be me trundling in the kitchen to shove in a frozen pizza.

lol

I lack shame, though. Fuckit, I love my awful diet.

• Like 1

Waiting for a flatmate in the kitchen to finish off whatever michelin star dish he's cooking today so I can shamefully put together pizza and chips.

:D that's me too!

lol that was always me in halls.

The guy two rooms up was a New Yorker called Chris, one of the nicest people I've ever met. He was a real foodie and used to spend hours in there cooking up some fantastic food (slight over-appreciator of pesto, but still) and there'd be me trundling in the kitchen to shove in a frozen pizza.

lol

I lack shame, though. Fuckit, I love my awful diet.

And again, me too!

• Like 1

Deal or No Deal.

Now, I can see the attraction of the concept- random boxes being opened with the chance to win from 1p up to 250k. It could be quite entertaining.

However, the stuff that goes with it is farcical. "I'm sorry that £250k was in my box". "Don't worry about it, it's not your fault". Yes we know that, it's a game involving random numbers.

And then Noel Edmunds- "That could be the best or worst decision you've made" or words to that effect. Noel, they have no idea what will happen, because they can't predict the future.

Then there is the other contestants holding hands waiting for a box to be opened. It's a game, where you leave with more money than you came with whatever you get.

Sorry to any DoND fans, but I'm not impressed.

• Like 3

Deal or No Deal.

Now, I can see the attraction of the concept- random boxes being opened with the chance to win from 1p up to 250k. It could be quite entertaining.

However, the stuff that goes with it is farcical. "I'm sorry that £250k was in my box". "Don't worry about it, it's not your fault". Yes we know that, it's a game involving random numbers.

And then Noel Edmunds- "That could be the best or worst decision you've made" or words to that effect. Noel, they have no idea what will happen, because they can't predict the future.

Then there is the other contestants holding hands waiting for a box to be opened. It's a game, where you leave with more money than you came with whatever you get.

That's exactly why I hate that show.

:chant:

Deal or No Deal.

totally agree, interesting concept but the way they do it just ruins it