Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

All?Alan Sugar, David Beckham, Paul McCartney, Sean Connery? Britain is full of working class success stories and also, although not so well known, upper class twits who have blown the family fortune.

I'll agree that the 'not fair' types who expect the world to provide for them and blame everyone else for their plight tend to be self perpetuating but that's hardly the fault of the people who've made a success of their life.

I would argue that David Beckham came from a very comfortable middle-class background.

All?Alan Sugar, David Beckham, Paul McCartney, Sean Connery? Britain is full of working class success stories and also, although not so well known, upper class twits who have blown the family fortune.

I'll agree that the 'not fair' types who expect the world to provide for them and blame everyone else for their plight tend to be self perpetuating but that's hardly the fault of the people who've made a success of their life.

I didn't think you'd resort to "celebrities" to try and make your point.

You're not going to say that David Beckham, Paul McCartney and Sean Connery are only wealthy because they worked hard, are you? They have unique talent and that's not exactly something you can simply achieve by "wanting it enough," working hard and believing in capitalism.

I didn't think you'd resort to "celebrities" to try and make your point.

You're not going to say that David Beckham, Paul McCartney and Sean Connery are only wealthy because they worked hard, are you? They have unique talent and that's not exactly something you can simply achieve by "wanting it enough," working hard and believing in capitalism.

Believe it or not I don't mix with millionaires, if they're not famous I'm not likely to know their names.My point still stands, being born poor doesn't have to mean you'll always be poor.

I didn't say it did - of course it's POSSIBLE to go from "rags to riches", you're just trying to avoid admitting the obvious:

You're drastically more likely to be wealthy in life if you come from a wealthy background. And you're drastically more likely to end up in low-earning brackets or claiming benefit if that's the life you were born in to.

I'm not saying anything particularly revolutionary here, it's a statement of the obvious.

• Like 1

I didn't say it did - of course it's POSSIBLE to go from "rags to riches", you're just trying to avoid admitting the obvious:

You're drastically more likely to be wealthy in life if you come from a wealthy background. And you're drastically more likely to end up in low-earning brackets or claiming benefit if that's the life you were born in to.

I'm not saying anything particularly revolutionary here, it's a statement of the obvious.

So how would you change that?

Probably only Alan Sugar in that selection can be said to have acheived his weath through true hard work. He started with a market stall and selling door to door although I suppose that is an unusual talent. The others were talented and were lucky enough to be spotted at the right time.

There is an author my brother mentioned, John grisham I think, he did not have his books published right away. They did not like his first. His second was a best seller and after that his first sold out but the point is he kept at it.

A lot of the top businessmen are awful with managing affairs that is why they hire accountants to work on their taxes. The accountants work out the best deals but keep in the legal boundary. The same way as those on the other end of the spectrum. Those who know what benifits they can get within the law. I don't but I am trying to find out what I am entitled to as I believe I will find it difficult to find a suitable job within the present job market considering my age and lack of a skilled proffession. Even if I attain some qualifications an employer will want someone long term to get used to their system and structure not anemployee who could retire or pop their clogs within the next two or three years.

70% nature, 30% nurture.

lol

It's all nurture when it comes to stuff like this. If you see your parents working, you're more likely to have a job and be a worker. If they don't they you are more likely to follow their example unless you have peer pressure indirectly exerted on you to do otherwise.

Stepfoxy2 and her partner are an example of this.

MsFoxy and her ex have always worked and have instilled a belief in all stepfoxys that to get what you want you have to work.

Her partner has incredibly severe diabetes which limits his opportunities to work but this is not helped by his family all not working so he doesn't understand why you'd work. His younger brother wants to work but they are actively discouraging him from getting a job - it sickens me and i think is a form of abuse.

MsFoxy came from absolute penury and worked her way up but this wouldn't have happened had she to pay for her university education.

If your parents and peers support you and help you then you have a chance to better yourself, but so many parents and peers are an actual hindrance on their kids.

Very late, but immature people.

Snickering in lectures yesterday when discussing backside attack - it's not in anyway funny.

One lad in my course repeated the word erection loudly after someone said it in a large group seminar.

Bare in mind we are third years so it's been said time and again over the course of the past 2 and a half years.

One lad in my course repeated the word erection loudly after someone said it in a large group seminar.

Bare in mind we are third years so it's been said time and again over the course of the past 2 and a half years.

Are you studying civil engineering or reproductive science?!

lol

It's all nurture when it comes to stuff like this. If you see your parents working, you're more likely to have a job and be a worker. If they don't they you are more likely to follow their example unless you have peer pressure indirectly exerted on you to do otherwise.

Stepfoxy2 and her partner are an example of this.

MsFoxy and her ex have always worked and have instilled a belief in all stepfoxys that to get what you want you have to work.

Her partner has incredibly severe diabetes which limits his opportunities to work but this is not helped by his family all not working so he doesn't understand why you'd work. His younger brother wants to work but they are actively discouraging him from getting a job - it sickens me and i think is a form of abuse.

MsFoxy came from absolute penury and worked her way up but this wouldn't have happened had she to pay for her university education.

If your parents and peers support you and help you then you have a chance to better yourself, but so many parents and peers are an actual hindrance on their kids.

Thanks for the laughter, I appreciated that.

This is very interesting subject that deserves it's own thread.

I'm a fair bit older than you. As a grown up I have seen people grow up in front of my eyes. I have 2 nephews both in their 20s, their dad pissed off when they were both toddlers and has had virtually zero input in their upbringing. The eldest is the spitting image of his dad, he even has the same mannerisms, he has the same lazy, self important, know it all attitudes of his father. He's not such a malingerer as his dad, he's always managed to hold down a job, but he does tend to be type who'd take a day off sick with dandruff.

His younger brother who looks a lot more like our side is totally different. He's hard working,ambitious and driven. He certainly hasn't learnt that from anyone I'm related to.He has a very well paid job with Barclays.

I have 3 teenage daughters, all brought up the same, all totally different personalities.

Imo we're born with a basic personality that we've inherited from some random ancestor. Obviously upbringing and circumstances make a difference but the personality you're born with affects how you react to that upbringing.

I have a sort of interest in what I believe is called social athropology. Not studied it or anything but reading the first Scince of Discworld gave me an interest. I find the where how and when people are raised fascinating for some reason Somehow the stories you hear as a child could influence your whole life as will how you are treated and who you mix with. There may be exceptions but that is influence in reverse. Wherever you go in the world there are tales of heros and villians passed from generation to generation.

Nowadays there are even more distractions and ideas to sway the young one way or another. A child can be taught values at school and influence in the playground amongst friends or kept hidden away for the parent to impose their views and values.

Neither is more right or wrong than the other because it is a worldwide thing

I advocate freethought but there will always beI suppose a slight bias.

People that leave supermarket shopping trolleys in car park spaces.

I'll admit I've done that before, sorry!

Worse are the ones who just leave them rolling down the car park. I had to swerve to avoid one rolling along at Asda the other day! And it's likely to come to a stop against the side of someone's car.

I'll admit I've done that before, sorry!

Worse are the ones who just leave them rolling down the car park. I had to swerve to avoid one rolling along at Asda the other day! And it's likely to come to a stop against the side of someone's car.

Lazy bastard!!!!!!!!

:P

Useless bar-staff.

My scenario earlier - wander in to pub,

Me: "Yeah, hi can I get 2 fingers of the Glenmorangie whisky please?"

Barmaid: "What?"

Me: "Two fingers of Glenmorangie, y'know about 25mL"

Barmaid: "Err, yeah it's just whisky"

Me: "forget it, can I have a pint of..."

You'd have thought as a barmaid she'd understand the measurements for serving things such as whisky.

Edit: Oh, and people who drag you into their relationship issues. You're having problems with your significant other, talk to them, leave me out of it.

Edited by LargeAl