Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Move to Sunderland then? It's what Tebbitt would tell you to do. (Ignoring the fact that most decent houses in Sunderland for that money would be 4 bed not 5).

Yet again we have the lowest common denominator being used as an argument by a Tory. "I can't afford a 5 bedroom house so they shouldn't have one either". And people slag off the left for having politics of envy. I don't have a Bentley or a private jet - maybe we should ban top bank executives from having them in the name of parity?

Can you cite examples where privatised companies have driven up salaries? If you see no reason why it should exist then do you plan to demand MPs have regionalised salaries too? Are you all in Surrey going to pay substantially more NI, tax and council tax in order to fund the pay rises you propose in your local hospitals or do you expect those of us receiving annual tax cuts to pay more for you to enjoy the accrued benefit?

I already do pay substantially more Ni and Tax than I would doing exactly the same job in Sunderland say, because the market sets my pay level about 40% higher. Surrey receives one of the lowest central government subsidies for local government in the country and my Council tax is over £1500 on my two bed semi.

MPs should absolutely have regionalised salaries, or at the very least allowances for constituency staff.

You haven't addressed the point though, why should public sector salaries be fixed nationally? It makes no sense, and it makes it really hard for London and Surrey hospitals to find and retain good staff.

• Like 2

Having my best friend call me up to ask if I want to go house shopping with him because his father-in-law has just won the euromillions.

Proof, if it was ever in doubt, that there is in fact no god.

What are you on about? Your best mate potentially has access to millions of pounds! Your life could be like The Hangover everyday :frantics:

They still have to fund the money to do the building work though. And do the building work. Then administer and run the tolls. All of which is done very successfully by private companies in loads of countries. Its a no brainer, and everybody wins.

The Treasury loses out in the long run. It's short term gain for long term loss.

If, for example, you put a toll on the M25 at 50p a pop for a car, you'd make your money back in no time at all AND have a nice future earner.

Where do you work? My wife works at a hospital in Surrey where a two bed semi costs £250k. For the same amount in Sunderland you could buy a 5 bed detached house. I know Labour like to punish people for having the audacity to live in the South-East, but I see absolutely no reason why this policy should exist beyond making Labour popular in the North.

That said, this should be used to allow NHS trusts in expensive parts to pay what they need to pay to recruit decent staff. Not to force pay cuts elsewhere. Pay freezes maybe.

Belfast.

It's not a cheap place to live.

Edited by FoxyPV

****ing immature students - Who the hell thinks it's funny to freeze a box of eggs?

You've clearly lost your sense of humour.

Immature or not -not that most freshers or indeed you are in any position to call anyone immature anyway- that's funny.

Edited by ajthefox

Well it's not. Freezing them has cracked open all the shells, so now if I actually want to eat those eggs (which, y'know, is the main reason why I ****ing bought them), I've got to eat an entire box in one ****ing go.

Get them to buy you a new box, they cost like a quid. It was a joke, I'm sure you'll survive.

Well it's not. Freezing them has cracked open all the shells, so now if I actually want to eat those eggs (which, y'know, is the main reason why I ****ing bought them), I've got to eat an entire box in one ****ing go.

Classic fresher: no common sense in the kitchen. Just leave them in the freezer and thaw them out in a bowl as and when you need them.

Also: lol

****ing immature students - Who the hell thinks it's funny to freeze a box of eggs?

lol

Considering how fvcking angry you seem to get with everything, I can't blame them for playing jokes on you. :D

Bet they're having a right laugh at your expense lol lol lol

• Like 1

lol this just gets better!!

You really do need to lighten up, it's a box of eggs for fvcks sake.

If this happened to me I'd be a little annoyed at first but I'm sure I'd see the funny side of it and then laugh.

That you get so wound up by it only plays into their hands.

lol you'd have hated being a fresher with my friends and I. "Reign of Terror" we dubbed ourselves, used to get drunk playing hold'em in the kitchen, get bored and wander around the building playing stupidly childish pranks on people trying to sleep.

Sorry Al, but that is actually quite funny.

Few highlights of pranks I have heard about:

• Opening the bottom of a can of beans and placing the can on a housemate's bedside table. Simply wait for the housemate to wonder what a can of Heinz' finest is doing on his bedside table, try to take it back to the kitchen and await the sudden outburst of Tourettes.
  • The classic clingfilm round the toilet gag. Never gets old.
  • Police tape round the house.
  • Liquitabs hidden between the mattress and bed frame. We all sit on our bed from time to time, nobody's safe.
  • Wait for a housemate to fall asleep, squat over his face and ask a friend to wake him up suddenly. Shoots up, face full of arse.

Immature? Probably. Funny? Absobloodylutely.

• Like 1