Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

People who ask "would you like to...?" when what they mean is "can you please...?". Always struck me as an arrogant way to ask for things and, if anything, makes me less likely to take pleasure in lending a hand to said individual.

People who ask "would you like to...?" when what they mean is "can you please...?". Always struck me as an arrogant way to ask for things and, if anything, makes me less likely to take pleasure in lending a hand to said individual.

Funny that, as is it is supposed to be a more polite way of asking, it is all to do with our indirect natuire which can be known to frustrate the yanks, are you a yank at heart?

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

Funny that, as is it is supposed to be a more polite way of asking, it is all to do with our indirect natuire which can be known to frustrate the yanks, are you a yank at heart?

Nope, I've just never understood why you'd phrase it like that, as though you're the one doing them a favour. :glare:

On the bright side, it means you can simply say 'no' and not feel bad because you gave an honest answer. :P

Nope, I've just never understood why you'd phrase it like that, as though you're the one doing them a favour. :glare:

On the bright side, it means you can simply say 'no' and not feel bad because you gave an honest answer. :P

That in essence is why it is phrased like that, would you like to, would you mind, would it be alright if...

These are all ways of being extremely polite so as not to put any pressure on the person to whom the favour is being asked. It also gives you scope to ramp up the forcefulness of your request, from an extremely passive and polite request all the way to downright rudeness, and everything in between.

It was something that I had to learn when I was teaching Spanish children English, if you asked in a polite way they just wouldn't do it because to them it was more of a polite request, and as you said if you ask someone politely if they would like to do something they don't want to they don't do it.

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

That in essence is why it is phrased like that, would you like to, would you mind, would it be alright if...

These are all ways of being extremely polite so as not to put any pressure on the person to whom the favour is being asked. It also gives you scope to ramp up the forcefulness of your request, from an extremely passive and polite request all the way to downright rudeness, and everything in between.

It was something that I had to learn when I was teaching Spanish children English, if you asked in a polite way they just would do it because to them it was more of a polite request, and as you said if you ask someone politely if they would like to do something they don't want to they don't do it.

That's fair enough, but what about the (many) people who say "would you like to...?" and then get mad if you elect not to? :blink:

You are right about asking it as a genuine question and meaning each word of the sentence - I guess my gripe is more with the people who are expecting/need you to help them but don't have the sense of politeness to simply say please.

Tricky subject. :sweating:

That's fair enough, but what about the (many) people who say "would you like to...?" and then get mad if you elect not to? :blink:

You are right about asking it as a genuine question and meaning each word of the sentence - I guess my gripe is more with the people who are expecting/need you to help them but don't have the sense of politeness to simply say please.

Tricky subject. :sweating:

But would you prefer people just barking orders at you? When your boss asks, Would you like to do something? you know you don't have a choice but it is nice to feel like you have been given the choice. Of course there is a happy medium, but everyone is different and it is safer to ask something in the most polite way possible at first and most people will respond, rather than risk offending.

But would you prefer people just barking orders at you? When your boss asks, Would you like to do something? you know you don't have a choice but it is nice to feel like you have been given the choice. Of course there is a happy medium, but everyone is different and it is safer to ask something in the most polite way possible at first and most people will respond, rather than risk offending.

Agree to disagree. If my boss says "would you like to...?" I just think "you cvnt...". lol

Dear Bolton Wanderers and the wider football community,

Fabrice Muamba is not dead, nor has be recently been beatified or risen to the glory of an immaculate afterlife. Fabrice has not cured cancer, not got rid of Cameron from office or appeared in an illegal sex tape on Youtube.

Consequently, all of you that are going all Princess Deadiana over him - get some fvcking perspective. He is gradually improving in hospital from a heart complaint...I have a list as long as my eCock of people more worthy of your weekly one minute's applause and your planned celebratory Year Of Muamba 2013.

Fvck a bucket of piss!

• Like 2

The scrap metal collectors horn ****s me off.

Pretty sure anyone living on the West End knows what I mean, you can hear that ****ing thing from Braunstone to Woodgate and they don't half give it a blast every two fricking seconds.

Usually on the few days I get a lie in as well.

The scrap metal collectors horn ****s me off.

Pretty sure anyone living on the West End knows what I mean, you can hear that ****ing thing from Braunstone to Woodgate and they don't half give it a blast every two fricking seconds.

Usually on the few days I get a lie in as well.

But at least you know you never need be burdened by unwanted metal cluttering up your condo

My inability to pronounce certain words coherently because my accent.

Mirror = mirr

Power = par

Flower = flar

Towel = tal

It's come to light as FoxyJr as not been infected with this horrendous affliction and pronounces the above words in the correct manner

Hayfever. Again.

Already?

I feel for you.

I used to get it as a kid, rarely seem to get it thesedays, I used to excercise a lot (I was a bit of a weakling) I've always thought this helped my hayfever, made me stronger etc....Not sure if it was just coincidence or not.

My parents have lived in Brussels for the past 9 years, the first 5 of which I was living there too, and they spent a few years there way back before I was born. Despite this my Mum still can't speak French properly and whenever I'm home and helping out with chores I'm constantly having to jump in and save us from public embarrassment as she stares wide-eyed and dumbstruck at whoever's talking to her (for instance I had to explain to here that the coordinator at the dump wanted her to reverse the car a bit, despite his hand gestures making as much obvious).

That's not what grinds my gears - for the most part you can get by in this city with English and the most rudimentary French and she has my Dad to deal with any tricky French when necessary.

What pisses me off no end is that, despite this, she uses various unnecessary French words in conversation (I'm not talking about adopted phrases like your deja-vus and your faux pas - she calls the utility room a "buanderie" and keeps referring to the aforementioned dump as a "decheterie" for example) as though she's such a natural francophone she's somehow forgotten how to speak her own language... Pull the other one love.

Rant over.

My parents have lived in Brussels for the past 9 years, the first 5 of which I was living there too, and they spent a few years there way back before I was born. Despite this my Mum still can't speak French properly and whenever I'm home and helping out with chores I'm constantly having to jump in and save us from public embarrassment as she stares wide-eyed and dumbstruck at whoever's talking to her (for instance I had to explain to here that the coordinator at the dump wanted her to reverse the car a bit, despite his hand gestures making as much obvious).

That's not what grinds my gears - for the most part you can get by in this city with English and the most rudimentary French and she has my Dad to deal with any tricky French when necessary.

What pisses me off no end is that, despite this, she uses various unnecessary French words in conversation (I'm not talking about adopted phrases like your deja-vus and your faux pas - she calls the utility room a "buanderie" and keeps referring to the aforementioned dump as a "decheterie" for example) as though she's such a natural francophone she's somehow forgotten how to speak her own language... Pull the other one love.

Rant over.

Sounds like Del Boy

• Like 1