Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

You are simply wrong, im not on a high horse or standing in judgement of you as a person...your statements are irrational and wrong.

Animals do not need to die for us to survive, you know this to be true even if you choose to deny it.

You example the burning of witches and slavery and say we have matured... but then cannot see that same maturation is required in respect to animals.

I've met some people, who, to this day will tell you that people of other races are lower on the food chain than they are and its reasonable for them to be treated as such... as its simply part of nature.

In terms of damage to the environment, the raising of livestock is one of the major causes of CO2 emissions and if we were to reduce meat production we would see an immediate and significant change to the environment for the better... and again re the positive effects of growing more vegetables etc, is so incredibly easy to see the positives that i can only assume you are either on the wind up.. or amazingly stupid.

Quote from Time

"The U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) concluded that worldwide livestock farming generates 18% of the planet's greenhouse gas emissions — by comparison, all the world's cars, trains, planes and boats account for a combined 13% of greenhouse gas emissions"

im assuming from this point on that you are just trying a wind up as your statements are contradictory and plainly stupid.

edit - leaving the discussion of this to another thread..as this is for what grinds gears

Let's skip by all the unnecessary chest-thumping and personal attacks about intelligence and rationality because, ultimately, you're just going to make yourself look silly.

For a start, I'd direct you towards Shrappers' and Raw Dykes' comments about the livestock we've spent centuries breeding were we to come to some epiphany that our past deeds were immoral and swear off meat. What happens to this livestock? It certainly continues to produce greenhouse gasses, that's for sure, even more so if they're no longer destroyed "early."

And how exactly do we mass-produce enough food to sustain the planet's population without killing local natural populations and ecosystems? You've completely ignored the points about natural landscapes being decimated by grain and vegetable farmland or the impact human natural foraging would have on herbivorous food chains. I imagine you've also not considered what domesticated dogs, cats, reptiles, mustelidae and other meat-eating pets would consume were we to cease all meat production?

And I assume there's no wood in or piecing together your home given the impact of deforestation not only on the environment in the broadest sense but also given the birds, mammals, insects, arachnids, invertebrates, etc, that are all de-homed and - ultimately - destroyed by man's need for lumber.

Moreover, I'd have to further assume that you live in a naturally wooded area, cloth yourself in leaves and stripped bark and use no factory-built product that was produced on land that was once the natural habitat of some poor creature or two?

Animals need to die for us to survive every, single, day and the only way we could avoid that would be to live entirely "naturally" ourselves, revert to being pre-historic humans who dwelt in caves, huddled together for warmth and... oh... hunted for meat...

... shit...

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3

You're thinking of vegans.

I have no problem with people eating meat, I'm just not prepareed to do it myself.

I do have a problem with the amount of hormones that are pumped into animals to make them fatter and the industrial manner in which animals are slaughtered but c'est la vie.

Meat is full of hormones, fruit & veg is full of pesticides but c`est la vie ;)

It is also amazing how many vegetarians wear leather shoes, and have leather handbags, purses, sofas etc. Double standards?

It's only double standards if they don't eat meat because of animals dying, some people just don't like the thought of putting dead animals in their mouth, they don't care how or why they died, would probably happily kill one, but just don't want to eat them.

It's like "vegetarians" that eat chicken or fish, they don't care about the animal, they just don't want to eat red meat because it is all bloody, not all veggies are militant, most are just a bit squeamish.

lettuce and carrot fields take a lot of space up. Also we'd be swamped with rabbits. Not just lettuce. Grain, rice, potatoes, pasta, fruit, all take up space. Why have cows in a field not earning it's pay which could be used for crops. And I cannot see a cow being used as a domestic pet and house trained.

Edited by Nightguard

lettuce and carrot fields take a lot of space up. Also we'd be swamped with rabbits. Not just lettuce. Grain, rice, potatoes, pasta, fruit, all take up space. Why have cows in a field not earning it's pay which could be used for crops. And I cannot see a cow being used as a domestic pet and house trained.

You`ve not met my mrs.......

But you are forgetting the amount of space that is required to grow the crops to feed the cattle in the first place, basically eating meat is a hugely inefficient way of getting energy into our bodies, the stats are quite startling that in the amount of energy lost in feeding and allowing cows to grow fat enough to produce young and milk, and be nice and plump is quite staggering.

Energy is used much more efficiently if humans eat plants (first tropic level) instead of meat (second tropic level. A given area of farmland can support more people if the crops are fed directly to people rather than to livestock that people then eat.

For example if a man needs 3,000 Calories per day, then 30,000 Cal beef are needed, which in turn need 300,000 Cal of corn, which in turn means 30,000,000 Cal of sunshine. This works out to be 1.5 acres of corn per day per person. If the person ate corn directly then 10 people could be supported by the same 1.5 acres of corn.

From here: http://www.elmhurst....foodenergy.html

So if we killed all the cows and turned their grazing land into cropland we would have 10 times as much food, if only we could synthesise energy directly from the sun, then we would be laughing, well not here in the UK, but those in Africa would be.

(I know that food is not just about energy, but you get the idea).

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

Whenever I buy a good steak these days I've eaten half of it before I've even put it in the pan. There's something about the texture and flavour of a cold, raw steak that really turns me on in a culinary sense.

If I could be sure it was healthy, I honestly don't think i'd have much of a problem just sitting and munching away at a dead cow.

Edited by MooseBreath

My personal favourite is steak tartare where the cow has been repeatedly punched in the face until death.

With chips.

This sounds like a cooking show I could get into. Beef does taste better when it was tenderised with a snooker ball in a sock or a nunchaku.