Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Geek used to a slightly derogatory term. Now everybody seems to refer to themselves as 'a bit of a geek', usually just because they like to wear thick-rimmed faux glasses that they've bought from Top Shop and they've seen The Big Bang Theory. Actual geeks are now called nerds and are subject to the usual derision.

Let's just clear things up...

NOT A GEEK

hipster-glasses-10_large.jpg

ACTUAL GEEK

nerd1.jpg

Geek used to a slightly derogatory term. Now everybody seems to refer to themselves as 'a bit of a geek', usually just because they like to wear thick-rimmed faux glasses that they've bought from Top Shop and they've seen The Big Bang Theory. Actual geeks are now called nerds and are subject to the usual derision.

Let's just clear things up...

NOT A GEEK

hipster-glasses-10_large.jpg

ACTUAL GEEK

nerd1.jpg

But I do think in the real world, outside the school gates, geeks aren't derided, geeks are now more easily identifiable as the people that bring us smart phones and tablets, that make essential things like the internet work and a better place.

The socially awkward are still made fun of, but not all are geeks and not all geeks are socially awkward.

The word has also changed meaning to be a bit of a geek about something is different to being a geek. A football geek is one who has encyclopedic knowledge on football, and an all consuming passion for it.

Likewise 'jocks' are no longer just meat headed muscle freaks, and being intelligent and sporting is no longer mutually exclusive.

There's a movie which plays on that. With that fat Jonah cvnt and some guy as cops who go back to high school undercover. The fat cvnt is the geek and the other guy is supposed to be cool. They go back to school and holy mother of Moses, would you believe the geek is seen as cool and the cool guy is an outcast. Decent movie actually, no idea what it's called though.

Edited by MooseBreath

There's a movie which plays on that. With that fat Jonah cvnt and some guy as cops who go back to high school undercover. The fat cvnt is the geek and the other guy is supposed to be cool. They go back to school and holy mother of Moses, would you believe the geek is seen as cool and the cool guy is an outcast. Decent movie actually, no idea what it's called though.

21 Jump Street.

Stupid if they think that their account won't eventually be debited with the amount of money the machine dished out?

Stupid for standing in a queue when the press are taking photos?

Stupid for standing about outside a bank on one of the rare days when the sky is blue up here?

Do you queue for ages to take money out of your bank account? There is no way you actually get away with free money, and if you did it is theft.

I might of had a go, depends on my financial situation at the time, I can't blame them for trying, not sure many people with have too much sympathy if a bank lost a few quid.....plus errors like these dependant on how much is debited is pretty difficult to balance, especially through a hole in the wall, and I'm sure those queuing didnt start to do so with press taking photo's.

Silly yes, unlikely to get away with it yes but its not as if they would go to court over it unless they were paying out millions to someone.

So stating 'how stupid are scottish people' just because they did this seems insane I'm sure the same would happen in any country.

I might of had a go, depends on my financial situation at the time, I can't blame them for trying, not sure many people with have too much sympathy if a bank lost a few quid.....plus errors like these dependant on how much is debited is pretty difficult to balance, especially through a hole in the wall, and I'm sure those queuing didnt start to do so with press taking photo's.

Silly yes, unlikely to get away with it yes but its not as if they would go to court over it unless they were paying out millions to someone.

So stating 'how stupid are scottish people' just because they did this seems insane I'm sure the same would happen in any country.

I'm afraid that it's very easy to attribute the withdrawal against the machine's balance, even if it's spitting out doubles. If they get away with it, it's down to the machine failing to record the balance against the erroneous distribution of cash. But that's a rare rare thing indeed!

I'm afraid that it's very easy to attribute the withdrawal against the machine's balance, even if it's spitting out doubles. If they get away with it, it's down to the machine failing to record the balance against the erroneous distribution of cash. But that's a rare rare thing indeed!

Spoken like someone who has had a few goes before

I'm sure it is but it can happen if I was almost skint I might have a go and I'm sure lot more would too, I don't think its stupid....more desperation.

I'm sure it is but it can happen if I was almost skint I might have a go and I'm sure lot more would too, I don't think its stupid....more desperation.

Never said it was stupid. Most people don't know the workings of an ATM. Stupid would be to take the money out and immediately spend it not waiting to see if the cash was attributed to their account. I don't blame them for having a go.

Never said it was stupid. Most people don't know the workings of an ATM. Stupid would be to take the money out and immediately spend it not waiting to see if the cash was attributed to their account. I don't blame them for having a go.

I was refering to the original poster who called them stupid.

I always check that I've been givien the right amount. If its wrong I get a mini statement.. I check my balance every day or so for budgeting reasons. Have to keep track of the thousands I get from JSA every week.

Moosey you do not collect JSA from the jobcentre, well I don't.

The massive amount of £142 is paid straight into my account every fortnight. Then I go on a big spending spree down at the pound shop. :) I bet you are jealous.

It was a slightly tongue in cheek post. I do however hope they all get done for it, taking something you know not to be yours is theft.

It was a slightly tongue in cheek post. I do however hope they all get done for it, taking something you know not to be yours is theft.

Surely they won't get "done", the bank will just deduct from their balances whatever they've taken out.

The machine might have had a fault but surely it still keeps track of who withdrew what?