Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

The NUS demo yesterday - complete washout. ****ing torrential rain, and some people managed to get themselves lost meaning it was gone 7 before we even started to leave London.

Still, at least you got a discount with the card they supply.

Yeah dirty students voicing their concerns.

Protests should be banned.

Yes brilliantly thought out banners such as "tax the rich" "full communism dirty liberals" and "boycott Israel" is really students 'voicing thier concerns'. How about the students start showing us how bright they are by proposing some solutions to the debt crisis and where they think the money should come from to pay for millions of adults to sit in school all day?

Still at least they didn't break into anywhere and ruin anyone else's day this time.

Looking at most of them you could be forgiven for thinking it was a dirty protest.

Edited by MattP

Yes brilliantly thought out banners such as "tax the rich" "full communism dirty liberals" and "boycott Israel" is really students 'voicing thier concerns'. How about the students start showing us how bright they are by proposing some solutions to the debt crisis and where they think the money should come from to pay for millions of adults to sit in school all day?

Still at least they didn't break into anywhere and ruin anyone else's day this time.

Looking at most of them you could be forgiven for thinking it was a dirty protest.

They could propose as many solutions as they like (although I would prefer them to propose solutions after they have been educated not before) but this government won't listen they seem determined to ignore all expert advice and continue down this road to self destruction and total economic collapse (bit extreme I know).

I don't understand where this dislike of students comes from, we were all students at one level, and pretty much everyone in a political position of power went through university, I am all for organised peaceful protests, but to be honest this one passed me by, what were they protesting about this time? according to your post it was just a mix of slogans, but then I don't know if you are the most reliable voice for the great unwashed...

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

They could propose as many solutions as they like (although I would prefer them to propose solutions after they have been educated not before) but this government won't listen they seem determined to ignore all expert advice and continue down this road to self destruction and total economic collapse (bit extreme I know).

I don't understand where this dislike of students comes from, we were all students at one level, and pretty much everyone in a political position of power went through university, I am all for organised peaceful protests, but to be honest this one passed me by, what were they protesting about this time? according to your post it was just a mix of slogans, but then I don't know if you are the most reliable voice for the great unwashed...

Same old shit I imagine, stop the cuts, boycott everything, no borders, stop Israel taking people's borders, hang the tories, don't eat meat, Cameron is a nazi.

Yes I think self destruction and financial collapse is a bit extreme when the latest figures are showing signs of economic recovery and unemployment figures continue to come down. I don't mind them offering solutions at all before they have been 'educated' , why not?

Why do people hate students? Interesting one, attitude is a lot of it I'd say, we've all seen the ones that come of out Uni into the office thinking they know it all when they actually know fcuk all about how the World works, these protests don't help in the publics eye when they break into shops, protesting against cuts that seems to involve smashing up a city and throwing fire extinguishers off rooftops.

The attitude of 'I'm a student so my opinion is obviously brighter and more educated that yours' that a lot of them seem to have probably for a few, a few years in the real World usually does them good eventually though, I won't be too harsh as I know tons of people who have been on these 'protests' before that are embarrassed about it now and have grown up since.

Edited by MattP

I'm not sure Matt would protest about anything....just get on with it seems to be the cry of the apathetic nation we've become.

That's so right, have a moan about things in private but actually get out and do something about it doesn't even enter their minds. It's why the government can do as it pleases without fear of any form of useful opposition.

tuition fee hikes and cuts to front line services. Fairly sensible things to protest given Clegg and Cameron respectively pledged not to do those things in the run up to the last election... Few jackasses brought the whole Palestine-Israel shit into it though.

Edited by LargeAl

I'm not sure Matt would protest about anything....just get on with it seems to be the cry of the apathetic nation we've become.

Last time I protested was on the Countryside Alliance march in 2005, but I'll be honest I probably couldn't be arsed with too much nowadays. I went on an anti-war march a couple of years before that but felt quite uncomfortable given the other "opinions" people around me were shouting making it quite clear they weren't just there for what the protest said.

Last time I protested was on the Countryside Alliance march in 2005, but I'll be honest I probably couldn't be arsed with too much nowadays. I went on an anti-war march a couple of years before that but felt quite uncomfortable given the other "opinions" people around me were shouting making it quite clear they weren't just there for what the protest said.

Unfortunately Matt every protest attracts the idiots who are purely intent on causing disorder or there for alternate reasons and it usually these that the media dwell on generally ruining any positive outcomes of the real issue of the protest

Here is a good cause for you.

There is a protest (well a bus load) going to London in December to protest about the high tax on beer. CAMRA has achieved 100,000 signatures required to raise the issue in the HOP and force a debate. There is a rally nearby after the petition is handed in. No free beer as far as I know.

Edited by Nightguard

Here is a good cause for you.

There is a protest (well a bus load) going to London in December to protest about the high tax on beer. CAMRA has achieved 100,000 signatures required to raise the issue in the HOP and force a debate. There is a rally nearby after the petition is handed in. No free beer as far as I know.

Now that sounds like a decent day out, a very good cause and a the pub crawl after should superb.

Same old shit I imagine, stop the cuts, boycott everything, no borders, stop Israel taking people's borders, hang the tories, don't eat meat, Cameron is a nazi.

Yes I think self destruction and financial collapse is a bit extreme when the latest figures are showing signs of economic recovery and unemployment figures continue to come down. I don't mind them offering solutions at all before they have been 'educated' , why not?

Why do people hate students? Interesting one, attitude is a lot of it I'd say, we've all seen the ones that come of out Uni into the office thinking they know it all when they actually know fcuk all about how the World works, these protests don't help in the publics eye when they break into shops, protesting against cuts that seems to involve smashing up a city and throwing fire extinguishers off rooftops.

The attitude of 'I'm a student so my opinion is obviously brighter and more educated that yours' that a lot of them seem to have probably for a few, a few years in the real World usually does them good eventually though, I won't be too harsh as I know tons of people who have been on these 'protests' before that are embarrassed about it now and have grown up since.

At Uni I never came across anyone who thought like that though, I didn't think that really existed any more students that thought they knew everything, if they did then why would they need to study :dunno: All the people I met at uni were fairly normal down to earth people who just liked to have fun and get on with things.

I have never been on a student protest, I don't think they have any right to expect higher education to be paid for, if the costs are a true reflection then it is a decision a student has to make, is going to uni worth the financial cost, for most it is proven to be so as average wages are higher than those that don't go, but I have been on protests, and I think the right to protest is an important one, as our election system is a highly undemocratic 2 horse race (was nearly a 3 horse race until one shot itself in the foot) politicians need to be held accountable for what they are doing and be aware of who it is they serve, they serve us not the other way round.

Anyway that is by the by, the student demonstrations that turned to violence were not acceptable, although not helped by the police, and that has damaged them, but I still say that I have never seen this so called "better than thou" attitude from any student. I think it is a perceived slight by those that didn't go to university that any student with an opinion is up themselves and that they should start at the bottom and work their way up rather than be parachuted in higher up in a graduate trainee scheme.

Anyway I think has sort of lost focus so I will finish with a picture, this seems to be the way round here:

student-fuuny-wallpapers.jpg

• Like 2

Patronising at best. :dry:

At Uni I never came across anyone who thought like that though, I didn't think that really existed any more students that thought they knew everything, if they did then why would they need to study :dunno: All the people I met at uni were fairly normal down to earth people who just liked to have fun and get on with things.

I have never been on a student protest, I don't think they have any right to expect higher education to be paid for, if the costs are a true reflection then it is a decision a student has to make, is going to uni worth the financial cost, for most it is proven to be so as average wages are higher than those that don't go, but I have been on protests, and I think the right to protest is an important one, as our election system is a highly undemocratic 2 horse race (was nearly a 3 horse race until one shot itself in the foot) politicians need to be held accountable for what they are doing and be aware of who it is they serve, they serve us not the other way round.

Anyway that is by the by, the student demonstrations that turned to violence were not acceptable, although not helped by the police, and that has damaged them, but I still say that I have never seen this so called "better than thou" attitude from any student. I think it is a perceived slight by those that didn't go to university that any student with an opinion is up themselves and that they should start at the bottom and work their way up rather than be parachuted in higher up in a graduate trainee scheme.

Anyway I think has sort of lost focus so I will finish with a picture, this seems to be the way round here:

student-fuuny-wallpapers.jpg

Yeah that picture is university life for some, if you don't like it leave and replace that study weight with a mortage and dependants, it's a far bigger weight and far more stressful. I don't think i've ever met anyone in my life who looks back on any sort of educational based routine as a stressful time.

I dropped out of uni after a very short time as I couldn't be bothered and I wanted to earn some real cash, met some decent people there and some tossers, maybe it's these marches that bring out the worst of them. The Police being blamed is ridiculous, I've seen the way they are goaded at these sort of events, they see Police brutality as a copper trying to stop them breaking into a companies property they don't agree with. (and from someone who can't stand the filth)

I've seen brilliant students parachuted in to high positions well worth the money, I've also seen one's who come out of De Mont with a Business Studies degree. :ph34r: