Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

As a regular cyclist I get really annoyed at twattish cyclists who give us bad names. I may not look as stylist in my ridiculously fluorescent cycling jacket but people can see me.

I have a lot of sympathy for cyclists, and am very careful of them. This is difficult when they are invisible though.

A cyclist ran in to me whilst I was walking on the pavement recently. He was on the pavement to avoid a red light, evidently they don't apply if you switch from road to pavement.

It was obviously all my fault. If I'd had my baby with me, he'd have been pleased he was wearing (such a ridiculous looking) helmet.

A cyclist ran in to me whilst I was walking on the pavement recently. He was on the pavement to avoid a red light, evidently they don't apply if you switch from road to pavement.

It was obviously all my fault. If I'd had my baby with me, he'd have been pleased he was wearing (such a ridiculous looking) helmet.

These annoy me too. I try my best to be a considerate cyclist, and stay calm when pedestrians do utterly retarded things (the amount of times I've nearly hit people because they step out into the road without looking, despite me me ringing my bell IN AN NON-AGGRESSIVE BUT A HELPFUL WAY SO THEY DON'T GET SLAMMED BY A CYCLIST), but there are some utter twats out there when it comes to cycling. That said, there are pedestrian twats and vehicular twats (ALL ADDISON LEE DRIVERS). In short, most people are twats.

I have to admit though, I occasionally skip a red light. I don't do it on the pavement though. That's ridiculous. Nor do I do it when there's a green man for pedestrians.

Edit: Just to add, most people being a twat doesn't annoy me if they just acknowledge and apologise. I nearly got hit off my bike by someone being an idiot in a car but they apologised and realised they'd been a bit of an idiot. I wasn't hurt and they'll think twice about doing it again. Win win. It's when you get people like in JTH's case where they start effing and blinding even though they've been a douche that it gets annoying. I try and stay calm anyway because whatever happens I can sit back and think "at least I'm not on the tube" :D

Edited by Alexikokopops

Trying to organise my bookshelf, and chromatography. Definitely chromatography - Mikhail Tswett is a twat. And all the bloody equations for it, at least in quantum mechanics exams you get given the bloody equations.

We've all been there.

• Like 1

Trying to organise my bookshelf, and chromatography. Definitely chromatography - Mikhail Tswett is a twat. And all the bloody equations for it, at least in quantum mechanics exams you get given the bloody equations.

I'm fairly sure his name means twat in Russian

These annoy me too. I try my best to be a considerate cyclist, and stay calm when pedestrians do utterly retarded things (the amount of times I've nearly hit people because they step out into the road without looking, despite me me ringing my bell IN AN NON-AGGRESSIVE BUT A HELPFUL WAY SO THEY DON'T GET SLAMMED BY A CYCLIST), but there are some utter twats out there when it comes to cycling. That said, there are pedestrian twats and vehicular twats (ALL ADDISON LEE DRIVERS). In short, most people are twats.

I have to admit though, I occasionally skip a red light. I don't do it on the pavement though. That's ridiculous. Nor do I do it when there's a green man for pedestrians.

Edit: Just to add, most people being a twat doesn't annoy me if they just acknowledge and apologise. I nearly got hit off my bike by someone being an idiot in a car but they apologised and realised they'd been a bit of an idiot. I wasn't hurt and they'll think twice about doing it again. Win win. It's when you get people like in JTH's case where they start effing and blinding even though they've been a douche that it gets annoying. I try and stay calm anyway because whatever happens I can sit back and think "at least I'm not on the tube" :D

Cyclists are like Badgers they need gassing.

What annoys me about some cyclists is that i can walk at quite a fair pace and a couple of times cyclists coming up fast but silently behind me have almost hit me because i go to turn a corner or avoid stepping in something.

They go at a fair pace too so if contact was made it could be quite nasty.

As a cyslist I think you should be allowed to use your common sense at red lights - when there's nobody trying to use the crossing connected to the light for instance, or when you're on a bike path which doesn't cross any other roads at the t-junction following the lights (so any cars joining from another road road won't touch your patch of tarmac anyway). It is after all a lot more effort to get going again on a bike than in a car.

As a cyslist I think you should be allowed to use your common sense at red lights - when there's nobody trying to use the crossing connected to the light for instance, or when you're on a bike path which doesn't cross any other roads at the t-junction following the lights (so any cars joining from another road road won't touch your patch of tarmac anyway). It is after all a lot more effort to get going again on a bike than in a car.

Do you think cars should too?

To be honest I agree with you, but you and me don't get to make the laws and whilst it is the law cyclists must obey it.

To be honest I agree with you, but you and me don't get to make the laws and whilst it is the law cyclists must obey it.

There are some traffic lights in the US (& maybe other countries) where you can go on red if your path is clear. I have thought that it is something they could consider here at certain junctions. It is annoying sitting at a red light late at night & you're the only one on the road.

As a cyslist I think you should be allowed to use your common sense at red lights

I also drive so I always stop at red lights on my bike getting annoyed at the pointlessness of it at times, and angry at the self important cyclists who whizz on by me, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there's a highway code.

With cars the second example I gave obviously doesn't apply, but if there's a red light at an empty crossing yes I do think cars should be allowed to ignore it.

Edited by BoxingFoxes

I also drive so I always stop at red lights on my bike getting annoyed at the pointlessness of it at times, and angry at the self important cyclists who whizz on by me, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there's a highway code.

With cars the second example I gave obviously doesn't apply, but if there's a red light at an empty crossing yes I do think cars should be allowed to ignore it.

I know what you said, no need to repeat it, I wasn't accusing of jumping lights or breaking the law, but a lot of people do and regardless of how logical it is for cyclists to be able to cycle safely through a red light, they can't.

It is also worth remembering that red lights are not just for traffic control they are also for pedestrians to cross at, and allowing cyclists through red lights could endanger the safety of those crossing the road, if I could change the law I would change it so that all vehicles had to stop at a red light but if it was completely safe and clear to go they could do, basically like a stop sign, I don't like the idea of cyclists being able to fly through a red light legally, many pedestrians see a green man and know it could change any minute and will hurry across the road believing they are safe and not look.

Edited by Captain Shrapnel