Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Fvcking kitchen suppliers. (or any other home improvement retail giant) that give an exaggerated quote.

Went to Magnet to get a quote for complete new kitchen with appliances. Not a big load of stuff, just average. The initial figure was...

wait for it...

£27,000 !!!!! No joke.

After deducting the offers of nil VAT and 50% off it came down to £14,750.!!!

No way am I paying that and I told them so. Salesman went away and "re-jigged" his calculations to get down to £12,000

Still. too expensive so he re-calculated some "extra" discounts and got to £11,000 not including fitting.

Fvck off.

I was half expecting him to say "well, seeing as I like you..." and knock a few more off, but no.

Why not just be honest and give the proper full discounted figure? I know why, but it just pisses me off.

Patronising us with their special "manager says it's ok" deals

I used to do a lot of work for a kitchen fitting company. If you went into their showroom and told them you had a £5k loan from the bank to spend they'd talk you into spending £6k just so that they could get you onto their finance. That's where they made most of their money.

I used to do a lot of work for a kitchen fitting company. If you went into their showroom and told them you had a £5k loan from the bank to spend they'd talk you into spending £6k just so that they could get you onto their finance. That's where they made most of their money.

I can imagine... we have the cash though. Even that didn't get the cost down. They did try to sell us finance. No interest (in either context)

I can imagine... we have the cash though. Even that didn't get the cost down. They did try to sell us finance. No interest (in either context)

I can't speak for the blokes Webbo worked for but, in most cases, it'll cost them in subsidy for you to have their point-of-sale finance. They like to get you on finance purely so you'll spend more.

When you think something is blindingly obvious, but no one else gets it.

I'm not talking about opinions, but factually. Something you know to be absolutely definite that you can't persuade your immediate company of.

:@

But how obvious? I remember having a ridiculous argument with an ex girlfriend about people with blue skin. I had read about and seen pictures of people born with blue skin, I had read the medical reports explaining, but she just wouldn't except it, she was a doctor, but still if someone tells you something and you can't think of any reason not to believe it is just polite to not disagree with them and tell them are wrong.

Another time, different girl, a group of us were doing a pub quiz, they read out the question and I instantly got the answer, I said confidently and quickly it is this. She said 'I don't think it is.' I said, 'well what do you think the answer is?'

'don't know I've never heard of that, but I don't think it is what you said.'

I was just stunned, it's like saying 'I have no idea what your talking about, but you are probably wrong.' the implication being that I am an idiot who knows nothing.

Another one was with an American girl, she refused to believe that 'learned' was a valid word and could be used as an adjective, eg a learned person. The reason being that she had never heard of it so that means it doesn't exist.

Pretty much sums up her attitude (typical American) she believed that the spice girls were Americans despite the union jack dress, as were the Beatles...

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

To follow this theme, I was in a pub quiz recently. I 100% knew the answer to a question, only for most of my team to disagree with me. I had my way and my answer was put down, only for the quiz leader to give the wrong answer.

The question was how many US states there are. I said 50, most of the people around me disagreed, and then the quiz leader announced that there were 52. I didn't think it was worth disrupting the quiz to explain that I was right, so instead had to endure the "I told you so" looks.

To follow this theme, I was in a pub quiz recently. I 100% knew the answer to a question, only for most of my team to disagree with me. I had my way and my answer was put down, only for the quiz leader to give the wrong answer.

The question was how many US states there are. I said 50, most of the people around me disagreed, and then the quiz leader announced that there were 52. I didn't think it was worth disrupting the quiz to explain that I was right, so instead had to endure the "I told you so" looks.

How did they get to 52? There's 50 plus Washington DC, which isn't a State. So even if they got confused and put DC down as an extra state, it's still only 51.

Hence the reason for Hawaii-five-o :D

I'd avoid that pub quiz, especially if you're paying to enter. Giving points for incorrect answers, he might as well have "What number am I thinking of" for every question

Israel?

lol

I thought we were the 51st state...

Maybe they considered territories such as Puerto Rico as a state too.

I really really hope not, did anyone actually get an explanation how they got to 52? I'd love to hear it.

52! lol

Pub quizzes can be annoying. I was once in a team of six one night and the answer to a question was 'Lux', can't remember the question though. I told my table the answer but this history teacher piped in and they all believed him and disregarded my words. Needless to say when I was proved right I did a big sniff and had a big noisy slurp of my pint, followed by a 'aaaaaaaaarrrhhh'.