Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

A lot of charities use it. I think they just claim it back from the donations otherwise you are taxed on what you give. I would rather it went to the charity so they can use it to help their cause than to give it to the taxman.

How is gift aid a bad thing? Assuming you are talking about the tax not being deducted from charitable donations?!!!

A Gift Aid donation gives individuals tax relief, but the charity reclaim the amount of tax from the Government. So I guess the original post was making the point that it costs the Government a serious amount of money which could be used elsewhere.

A Gift Aid donation gives individuals tax relief, but the charity reclaim the amount of tax from the Government. So I guess the original post was making the point that it costs the Government a serious amount of money which could be used elsewhere.

Maybe so but I fail to see how charities earning just a tiny bit extra for a good cause is a bad thing. Some people seem to think its cool to dislike charity though. As with Coldplay.

Correct.

My wife is running the marathon next year and has been granted a place through Banardos ( mum and brothers were Banardos children) we were looking at gift aid last night.

This is how just giving work,for those that are interested( or not)

£10 donation

= £2.50 gift aid

Total donation £12.50

Gift Aid then claim 5% of your Gift Aid 12.5p as their bit( HMRC)

However if you are not eligible for gift aid( non tax payer)They take 5% of your £10 donation 50p

So therefore if you gift aid it is better for your charity,but not for the goverment.

Edited by cambridgefox

Maybe so but I fail to see how charities earning just a tiny bit extra for a good cause is a bad thing. Some people seem to think its cool to dislike charity though. As with Coldplay.

Suppose it depends what industry you're in. If it's the police force, NHS, teaching etc. you'd be more inclined to not be a huge fan of Gift Aid because of the huge cuts their sectors are facing. It's a great idea in principle, but people get sensitive when the purse strings are so tight. Charities still get the donations that people put forward, remember. I think more people would select to not add Gift Aid to their donation if they understood how it worked too.

Edited by Leicester Lass

But technically the government wouldn't receive that money anyway. Basically charitable donations are tax exempt, so individuals making charitable donations can claim back income tax paid, or if they are doing self assessment, not pay income tax on charitable donations.

Gift aid just makes it easier for those on PAYE to claim it back, on the proviso that they then donate the claimed back tax to charity.

So the giftaid bit is your money that you are entitled to, but you are choosing to give it to charity rather than keep it.

The government did try to limit the amount you could donate tax free, to stop people tax avoiding, but it never went through as it was a stupid idea. Think of it this way, for every person helped through charities, whether it is sports charities, cancer charities, support charities, soup kitchens, whatever, it is a burden off the government. Even foreign aid charities, and comic relief, the better equipped third world countries are the less our government is required to send aid to help out.

Of all the things to be angry about giftaid is not one,corporate tax dodgers are a much bigger problem and a much greater reason for cuts being made to the police and other services. If you want to make a difference boycott those stores that don't pay their tax, Starbucks, Topman, Boots and especially Amazon.

Edited by Captain Pancake Face

Narborough road in rush hour. Why not make Narborough road and Fosse Road South one way in opposite directions.

that'd probably make shizz worse?

this muggy weather is grinding my gears today. going for a bike ride later gonna sweat like a beetch

People complaining about the 'heat' when it's barely 20 degrees. Usually fat cvnts who are evidently well insulated by their blubber. Try not being so fat, you fat fvck. Air con on all dat in the office, so cold I actually had to take my laptop outside and sit on a small grassy area in the car park and work there instead.

This might be controversial but these charities like UNICEF who put on adverts of little African people starving while I'm trying to watch Dragons den or whatever. I don't wanna see that shit, it's emotional blackmail. I haven't got any money in the first place how am I suppose to give it to these African people? 

• Like 1

I'd like them to show adverts of what they've got now through people donating.

All they ever are of a child sitting there drinking dirty water, how about they show us something that they've managed to change through the money people have donated.

• Like 2

Just remind yourself that it's the parents fault for having kids they can't support and that if we fed them then we'd have to feed twice as many.

And they have those kids for the sake of the extra hands so that they can actually grow/hunt/collect enough food to feed their family on a semi-regular basis.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the colonials who came in, stole any natural resources of worth and ruthlessly exploited the people, leaving a massive disparity in the wealths of developed countries and the third world, with no way out of it.

Whats a good way to win a debate? 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2344405/Nigel-Farage-sprayed-bottle-Coke-protester-visit-Scotland-ends-holed-pub.html

Yeah that's right, throw coke over people. Some people are vile

The Mail's got so libertarian you have to write your own captions now.

25661cm.jpg