Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Agree on the standard of driving people have mentioned. One big thing I've noticed is that so many people drive along with their indicator still on after they leave a slip road etc.

This is true!

We have a little shopping area near my house (bookies, tesco, takeaway etc) but it's right opposite a main road. People get off of the slip road, left indicator on, so when I want to come out of this shopping area, some people still have their left indicator on so I never know if it's by accident or they are actually wanting to turn.

Obviously you can usually tell by the speed, but I'm never one for 'lets take a risk'... Thing is as well, surely you would either hear, or see, your indicator still ticking!? That's the part I never get.

Agree on the standard of driving people have mentioned. One big thing I've noticed is that so many people drive along with their indicator still on after they leave a slip road etc.

Slip road etiquette altogether - you get arseholes who assume people are going to let them out and just barge onto a dual carriageway, and then there's people already on the carriageway who panic (not realising that they have right of way) and just swing into the fast lane without checking if anyone's approaching.

I've seen some really close calls, worst has to be the Wanlip slip road onto the A46 which is about 30ft long onto a really busy road

It seems to me that everybody seems to think that everybody else is a bad driver except for themselves.

It does seem that way, however I must witness 1,000 drivers on a commute, and usually notice 10-20 of them, so the others are alright. But it wouldn't be much of a comment to point out "I followed a bloke down Abbey Lane earlier, didn't cut me up once and actually stopped when the traffic light turned red. Will send him a Christmas card"

It does seem that way, however I must witness 1,000 drivers on a commute, and usually notice 10-20 of them, so the others are alright. But it wouldn't be much of a comment to point out "I followed a bloke down Abbey Lane earlier, didn't cut me up once and actually stopped when the traffic light turned red. Will send him a Christmas card"

I could point out dozens of examples of bad driving everyday but for all I know the chap behind me might be saying the same about me.

On the subject of bad driving, filter lanes do my nut in. Why is it that people do not realise they don't have right of way when they try and filter into the one lane.

People that insist on pushing in so that you are forced to let them in. Or if you don't let them in they go ape shit at you.

On the subject of bad driving, filter lanes do my nut in. Why is it that people do not realise they don't have right of way when they try and filter into the one lane.

People that insist on pushing in so that you are forced to let them in. Or if you don't let them in they go ape shit at you.

I love matching the speed of people trying to push in, especially when they come to a stop and nobody behind me lets them in either - justice!

This but in the reverse. If it's busy the unwritten rule is that every car lets one car in. People who don't do this are selfish cvnts, simple as that.

I have to filter into busy traffic every day on the way home and I don't even care any more, I just pick my spot and filter in. If the person behind wants to drive into my car to make some twattish point about how they weren't going to let me out because they are a selfish cvnt then they can go ahead. They never do, of course.

Edited by MooseBreath

The Queen getting a 'payrise'.

I'm sorry but the country is in recession, struggling, on it's bleeding arse.

Someone I know in my family could be losing their job tomorrow due to job cuts, this news just winds me up further, they deserve a pay rise (As do I), if they survive the job cuts tomorrow they certainly won't be getting a payrise this year, if anything they'll be looking a wage cut.

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

Then some people wonder why others dislike the monarchy and aren't royalists.

• Like 1

I love matching the speed of people trying to push in, especially when they come to a stop and nobody behind me lets them in either - justice!

They're not pushing in though. They're filtering into the one lane as they're supposed to. That's what it's for.

Someone I know in my family could be losing their job tomorrow due to job cuts, this news just winds me up further, they deserve a pay rise (As do I), if they survive the job cuts tomorrow they certainly won't be getting a payrise this year, if anything they'll be looking a wage cut.

As I understand it she has had a rise in income from her estate ie. the land and property that she owns.

Maybe if you bring in excess of £100 million a year  (that's without the impact she has on tourism) then maybe you would get a raise

p.s. Thats with the extra costs taken out.

:ph34r:

Edited by purpleronnie
  • Like 2

Guest MattP

True.  We are all in it together after all.

Exactly, imagine how much the country would lose if we lost the queen and the money they bring in as well?

Not to mention the loss of jobs to tourism in London.

Devastating impact on society.

Purely out of interest is it possible to get the figures for the revenue that the Royals bring in through tourism etc? I'm assuming that the amount that is spent on them is exceeded by the amount they bring in?

That positive financial output is the only reason I'm not an ardent republican. 

Edited by leicsmac

Purely out of interest is it possible to get the figures for the revenue that the Royals bring in through tourism etc? I'm assuming that the amount that is spent on them is exceeded by the amount they bring in?

Does the cost matter so much? 70p each a year is nothing for the finest luxury in the world.

They are part of our culture and have been so for over a thousand years. We could get rid of them and have a bend over backwards to anyone, self loving, thicko cvnt politician for Head of State but who really wants that? (other than self loathing angry fake communist types).

Humanity, humility and integrity.

God save the Queen   :trumpet:

Edited by I am Rod Hull
  • Like 3

Does the cost matter so much? 70p each a year is nothing for the finest luxury in the world.

They are part of our culture and have been so for over a thousand years. We could get rid of them and have a bend over backwards to anyone, self loving, thicko cvnt politician for Head of State but who really wants that? (other than self loathing angry fake communist types).

Humanity, humility and integrity.

God save the Queen   :trumpet:

I don't have a problem with the Royals per se, but amongst other things they represent hereditary (not worked-for) power/riches and the class system, two things that I am definitely against. 

Agree that the core of Royals (in particular HRH herself) represent the country very well internationally though and given the choice between that and an elected head of state who could be in the pockets of whoever funded his/her campaign...well, perhaps it's the lesser of two evils.

Edited by leicsmac

Guest MattP

Remember a figure of £166million. It's to really get a accurate amount though given how intricate tourism money would be to calculate.

I know an economist valued the whole Royal project at somewhere in between 40 and 50 billion so if we did decide to get rid of them I'm sure they would only be too happy to set themselves up as a private entity. If the Kardashians can make 200million imagine what Wills and Kate could make.

Suppose it's ironic if the  envy ridden anti royalists did get their way to remove them they would actually make then ten times richer.

Like Rod says, for what we pay, less than a pound a year, it's super value, if only for the days off we get every now and then. Not to mention when we have an event like a Royal Wedding it's splashed all over the papers across the world.

You can't buy PR like that.

Edited by MattP

I don't have a problem with the Royals per se, but amongst other things they represent hereditary (not worked-for) power/riches and the class system, two things that I am definitely against. 

Agree that the core of Royals (in particular HRH herself) represent the country very well internationally though and given the choice between that and an elected head of state who could be in the pockets of whoever funded his/her campaign...well, perhaps it's the lesser of two evils.

This, my original post on the matter was just that (And really I suppose my gripe was at the media - The media has alot to answer for on many things) I felt it was very bad taste to announce a 'payrise' when the country is in such a bad state, on it's arse, people struggling to make ends meet, people struggling in jobs or to get jobs, and alot of people looking at pay cuts rather than rises and there the Queen is getting a payrise.

Edited by Matt

This, my original post on the matter was just that (And really I suppose my gripe was at the media - The media has alot to answer for on many things) I felt it was very bad taste to announce a 'payrise' when the country is in such a bad state, on it's arse, people struggling to make ends meet, people struggling in jobs or to get jobs, and alot of people looking at pay cuts rather than rises and there the Queen is getting a payrise.

I could post here every day how the populist media grinds my gears - that's an ongoing thing. It's not about investigative journalism anymore, it's about pushing the agenda of whoever happens to own the paper or cosying up to whoever is in power. 

Media owners used to be independent of the Establishment and were a bulwark against corruption by those in power - now, they're part of the same entity so they've lost the purpose of journalism in the first place. The British press isn't free. It's a collection of biased cartels owned by powerful old men and dodgy Russian oligarchs who use them to threaten, bribe, intimidate and bully their way to political influence and financial gain.

• Like 1