Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

I'm always a bit sceptical about this claim that the Royals bring in the tourists.  It's not like if you holiday in Britain you get to see them.  An innocent Japanese visitor wanting to take afternoon tea with the Duke of Edinburgh is going to be disappointed, just as a randy old Texan that wants to be tugged off by Princess Anne is unlikely to make a return visit when he finds his apparently reasonable request cannot be accommodated.

If anything, a living Royal family is a barrier to seeing what you want to see.  France killed its royals off and now you can go right round the Palace of Versailles and its gardens and have a good nose around.  They may let you into Buckingham Palace now, but if you want to see anything interesting like the bog where the Queen first got the shits really badly earlier this year, then it's no dice, Daddio.

• Like 2

I'm always a bit sceptical about this claim that the Royals bring in the tourists.  It's not like if you holiday in Britain you get to see them.  An innocent Japanese visitor wanting to take afternoon tea with the Duke of Edinburgh is going to be disappointed, just as a randy old Texan that wants to be tugged off by Princess Anne is unlikely to make a return visit when he finds his apparently reasonable request cannot be accommodated.

If anything, a living Royal family is a barrier to seeing what you want to see.  France killed its royals off and now you can go right round the Palace of Versailles and its gardens and have a good nose around.  They may let you into Buckingham Palace now, but if you want to see anything interesting like the bog where the Queen first got the shits really badly earlier this year, then it's no dice, Daddio.

Its highly unlikely the tourists come over here expecting to have a cup of tea with the queen, overseas tourists spend hundreds of millions of pounds visiting attractions associated with the history of the Royal family. What percentage of tourists are here just because of the royal family is debatable, but theres no question when they are here they spend a huge amount of money visiting places like The Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, various castles etc...

Its highly unlikely the tourists come over here expecting to have a cup of tea with the queen, overseas tourists spend hundreds of millions of pounds visiting attractions associated with the history of the Royal family. What percentage of tourists are here just because of the royal family is debatable, but theres no question when they are here they spend a huge amount of money visiting places like The Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, various castles etc...

I can quite see how people might be drawn to the history.  But coming here because of the current Royal family...I give people from foreign shores more credit than that.  You might have read about William the Conqueror and want to visit the Tower of London, but you're not going to do that because the Duchess of Cambridge wore a nice dress.  Or perhaps people do after all

Guest MattP

I can quite see how people might be drawn to the history. But coming here because of the current Royal family...I give people from foreign shores more credit than that. You might have read about William the Conqueror and want to visit the Tower of London, but you're not going to do that because the Duchess of Cambridge wore a nice dress. Or perhaps people do after all

You are seriously underestimating the way people view us. The Yanks and some people of a mild oriental eastern appearance who may or may not be from an asian county absolutely lap it up.

Did you see the tv reporters interviewing people who were queuing up to watch the Royal wedding? 80% of them were tourists who were here for it.

Edited by MattP

You are seriously underestimating the way people view us. The Yanks and <edited> absolutely lap it up.

Did you see the tv reporters interviewing people who were queuing up to watch the Royal wedding? 80% of them were tourists who were here for it.

Come on Matt...that's a bit strong.

If I'd used that term while I was working out there the Koreans and the expats would have been fighting each other for the privilege of tearing me apart. It's not a 'friendly' generalising term like 'Yanks' is. It's properly offensive.

On topic, the Royal wedding did get a lot of coverage even out in S. Korea.

Edited by leicsmac

Guest MattP

Come on Matt...that's a bit strong.

If I'd used that term while I was working out there the Koreans and the expats would have been fighting each other for the privilege of tearing me apart. It's not a 'friendly' generalising term like 'Yanks' is. It's properly offensive.

On topic, the Royal wedding did get a lot of coverage even out in S. Korea.

Really? I didn't think it was, I used to call it a Chinese girl I went out with and a workmate. I'll edit it.

Really? I didn't think it was, I used to call it a Chinese girl I went out with and a workmate. I'll edit it.

Cheers man.  :thumbup:

Yeah, it's not the N-word to a black person (unless they say it themselves of course), but it's not far away. 

Edited by leicsmac

Cheers man.  :thumbup:

Yeah, it's not the N-word to a black person (unless they say it themselves of course), but it's not far away. 

You might want to edit your post too, seeing as you quoted Matt's original post. :)

You might want to edit your post too, seeing as you quoted Matt's original post. :)

Right. 

Sympathetic editing by Mr P.

Changing " Gooks " to " Chinks " and then being thanked for it.

You couldn't make it up!

Sheeit, I must be on frigging autopilot tonight. 

Come on Matt, that's not exactly fantastic either.  :P

I'm so glad that it's been pointed out how good value the Queen and the rest of the Royal family give us. I will try and remember that thw next time I do my shopping in Poundland and Primark. :)

Are you implying that without the Royal Family, you would be able to shop in more upmarket stores?

And don't knock Primark, about 60% of my wardrobe is from there :thumbup:

Guest MattP

Wandering round Aldi got horsemeat for tea,

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

Strolled into Primark without a GCSE,

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

Job Centre appointment at half past three,

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

No wheelchair ramp you ain't catered for me,

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

My boilers blown you won't fix it for free?

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

But just like The Beatles I'll Let it be.

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

yeah yeah, south side.

Wandering round Aldi got horsemeat for tea,

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

Strolled into Primark without a GCSE,

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

Job Centre appointment at half past three,

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

No wheelchair ramp you ain't catered for me,

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

My boilers blown you won't fix it for free?

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

But just like The Beatles I'll Let it be.

Who can I blame?

Her Majesty

yeah yeah, south side.

I think Ken's been slipped an E, and then hacked your FT account.

Edited by stix

I am not blaming the Queen. A cut of income of £200 per month is going to have more affect on a low paid worker than somebody on £500000k per month. I would rather see money spent on saving a children's hospital to save a baby's life than adding a few ribbons to the Queen's carriage just to please some American tourists .

The Queen never asked for the increase. It was given after the latest round of cuts were announced.

I once walked through the kids clothes section in primark looking for a crap gift for my nephew. I was on my way to a conference so was wearing a sharp tailored suit, an expensive watch and was freshly groomed. I tell you what, if you're ever desperate to get laid and will stoop to an underclass single mother, try walking around the kids clothes section in primark looking like you have a bit of money. They were practically lining up on their knees with their mouths open and ready. It would be harder to get laid in a brothel.

• Like 1

I once walked through the kids clothes section in primark looking for a crap gift for my nephew. I was on my way to a conference so was wearing a sharp tailored suit, an expensive watch and was freshly groomed. I tell you what, if you're ever desperate to get laid and will stoop to an underclass single mother, try walking around the kids clothes section in primark looking like you have a bit of money. They were practically lining up on their knees with their mouths open and ready. It would be harder to get laid in a brothel.

That you walked in to Primark I can believe, at least.