Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Chris Evans is way too positive for early in the morning. He's not particularly funny anyway, and his incessant cheerfulness just makes him sound irritating and generally dislikable. Most of the time, I'm willing him to just shut the fvck up and play some music which isn't completely crap.

The camp northerner who took over from moyles is alright, but again not very funny, and the daytime music on radio 1 these days confuses me no end. I don't understand why, when as a station they obviously know good music, they insist on playing such absolute shite all day long.

More often than not these days, I listen to radio 4.

Edited by MooseBreath

My listening day

Ken Bruce

Jeremy Vine( love shouting at the radio)

The Archers

Radio 4 afternoon play( trust me some are fantastic,they even swear if you like to live on the edge)

Richard Bacon 5 live

I'm on the road so get to listen a lot.

The cricket will be on all day today

Edited by cambridgefox

My listening day

Ken Bruce

Jeremy Vine( love shouting at the radio)

The Archers

Radio 4 afternoon play( trust me some are fantastic,they even swear if you like to live on the edge)

Richard Bacon 5 live

I'm on the road so get to listen a lot.

The cricket will be on all day today

I really keep meaning to listen to Radio Four and the play more often. There are also some good comedy programmes on. A lot transferred to TV and done well. Don't listen to the radio much but have appeared on a community radio.

Visited Radio Leicester the other week. They are letting Citizens' Eye and  others use space and studios for media training and the equipment is fantastic. Soundproof proper mixers. Like being in a copit.

Used to be the Asian Network  but I think they are moving. Not sure if I'll get a chance to present a 20 min spot today. May be next week. It will be culture based topic anyway.

Sitting reading a book and a daddy long legs landing on me as I reached the really engrossing part. Jumped out my skin.

I had a mosquito fly in my ear while I was washing up last night, jumped so hard I got soap suds everywhere. I then smashed the shit out of the mosquito. That noise is horrible

I had a mosquito fly in my ear while I was washing up last night, jumped so hard I got soap suds everywhere. I then smashed the shit out of the mosquito. That noise is horrible

Mosquitos are the one species of creature on this planet I wouldn't mind seeing utterly eradicated. Parasitic, are prime vectors for diseases that have been responsible for almost half of all 'natural' human deaths since the Stone Age, and their eradication would not affect any ecosystem unduly.

I approve of their genocide.

Mosquitos are the one species of creature on this planet I wouldn't mind seeing utterly eradicated. Parasitic, are prime vectors for diseases that have been responsible for almost half of all 'natural' human deaths since the Stone Age, and their eradication would not affect any ecosystem unduly.

I approve of their genocide.

Do you not think something in nature has to control our numbers?

Do you not think something in nature has to control our numbers?

We should get better at doing that ourselves. Better education on birth control and breaking the grip the hardcore religions have in Africa would be a start. But that's a digression.

If the human population does get too big, other natural events will take care of that. In the meantime I'd rather have a world without the painful and debilitating death most mosquito-borne diseases provide, not too mention the little bastards making that annoying sounds in your ear when you're trying to sleep.

Regarding mosquitoes - Interesting read from nature.com

There are 3,500 named species of mosquito, of which only a couple of hundred bite or bother humans. They live on almost every continent and habitat, and serve important functions in numerous ecosystems. "Mosquitoes have been on Earth for more than 100 million years," says Murphy, "and they have co-evolved with so many species along the way." Wiping out a species of mosquito could leave a predator without prey, or a plant without a pollinator. And exploring a world without mosquitoes is more than an exercise in imagination: intense efforts are under way to develop methods that might rid the world of the most pernicious, disease-carrying species (see 'War against the winged').

Yet in many cases, scientists acknowledge that the ecological scar left by a missing mosquito would heal quickly as the niche was filled by other organisms. Life would continue as before — or even better. When it comes to the major disease vectors, "it's difficult to see what the downside would be to removal, except for collateral damage", says insect ecologist Steven Juliano, of Illinois State University in Normal. A world without mosquitoes would be "more secure for us", says medical entomologist Carlos Brisola Marcondes from the Federal University of Santa Catarina in Brazil. "The elimination of Anopheles would be very significant for mankind."

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721/full/466432a.html

I swear, every year when (if) we get a heatwave there's a new species of fly I've never seen before! And these critters bit twice my left ankle. Once you rub your skin against a surface by accident, you start itching yourself four hours... So annoying.

• Like 1

I swear, every year when (if) we get a heatwave there's a new species of fly I've never seen before! And these critters bit twice my left ankle. Once you rub your skin against a surface by accident, you start itching yourself four hours... So annoying.

I concur.

EDIT: I'm 98% certain that you went to the same school as me...

Edited by Wymeswold fox