Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

I don't see how it's a win for UKIP if one of their members got reprimanded for using a racist term. Considering they are trying to portray a "we're not racist but...." image.

Because the vast majority of people that will see this will actually see it for what it is. Overblown nonsense by the media.

Because the vast majority of people that will see this will actually see it for what it is. Overblown nonsense by the media.

No they won't be that easily hoodwinked. He clearly has been caught out using racist terminology, and the only thing the media are doing wrong is giving the idiot any airtime directly.

I think you'll find the vast majority will see that "what it is" is both a fairly over-reported non-story AND an idiot making a fool of himself very publicly.

The commentator on the BBC made a fair point, if Farage is serious about tidying up the party image and clamping down on bigotry in UKIP then incidents like this shouldn't be fobbed off.

For a supposedly professional politician to appear in public and denounce the developing world as ongo bongo land isn't just offensive it's also massively incompetent and a shambles.

If I were a UKIP supporter or member I wouldn't be defending or playing down what he said, I'd be embarrassed and annoyed that he'd given yet more ammunition to the opposition.

Malcolm Tucker wouldn't stand for it. ;)

• Like 2

I think you'll find the vast majority will see that "what it is" is both a fairly over-reported non-story AND an idiot making a fool of himself very publicly.

The commentator on the BBC made a fair point, if Farage is serious about tidying up the party image and clamping down on bigotry in UKIP then incidents like this shouldn't be fobbed off.

For a supposedly professional politician to appear in public and denounce the developing world as ongo bongo land isn't just offensive it's also massively incompetent and a shambles.

If I were a UKIP supporter or member I wouldn't be defending or playing down what he said, I'd be embarrassed and annoyed that he'd given yet more ammunition to the opposition.

Malcolm Tucker wouldn't stand for it. ;)

The average guy isn't offended by the term "bongo bongo land", as you think they are. Who do you think UKIP are trying to appeal to most at the moment. The average working man.

It's only the media thats hyped this up because of the national craze about anything racey.

I've seen the guy online before this and he's well known for being outspoken. I think people are getting tired of the PC bollocks, the fact is if anyone is offended by the term "bongo bongo land", then are kidding themselves. The place(or race) doesn't even exist.

• Like 1

No they won't be that easily hoodwinked. He clearly has been caught out using racist terminology, and the only thing the media are doing wrong is giving the idiot any airtime directly.

You are the one that is being hoodwinked.

Conditioned to cringe and apologise for nothing and always playing the "R" card at any opportunity.

Weak....

The average guy isn't offended by the term "bongo bongo land", as you think they are. Who do you think UKIP are trying to appeal to most at the moment. The average working man.

It's only the media thats hyped this up because of the national craze about anything racey.

I've seen the guy online before this and he's well known for being outspoken. I think people are getting tired of the PC bollocks, the fact is if anyone is offended by the term "bongo bongo land", then are kidding themselves. The place(or race) doesn't even exist.

jeebus wept.

:rolleyes:

You are the one that is being hoodwinked.

Conditioned to cringe and apologise for nothing and always playing the "R" card at any opportunity.

Weak....

apologise? wft are you on about? I don't play the race card at every opportunity. The man is making a CLEAR disparaging reference to Africa, and it's fooking racist. This is a fact. I'm not exaggerating or being hyped up by the media. It is what it is, and anyone with an ounce of braincells knows what it was. The guy is a fooking idiot, and the desperate attempt to try and get this idiot on every medium possible is embarrassing.

You're a complete and utter tool, calling the developing world Bongo Bongo land is quite clearly a fucking moronic thing to say and is fairly clearly xenophobia, or at best utter fuckwittery.

Yes, the place doesn't exist: he's using it to refer to the developing world as a whole and is essentially admitting that to him the entire developing world is one big (rather racist) stereotype. I fail to see how you can defend this and not get that it is, at best, a suicidal line and at worst a sign that he's a small minded bigoted cunt. Seriously - in the time it'd take me to get that through your xenophobic skull I could raise the money to buy Kenya, rename it bongo-bongo land, adopt a child from there, fly them back to the UK, send them through university and get them up to an MP so they could release a press-statement to tell you how fucking stupid a comment it was.

• Like 1

You're a complete and utter tool, calling the developing world Bongo Bongo land is quite clearly a ****ing moronic thing to say and is fairly clearly xenophobia, or at best utter ****wittery.

Yes, the place doesn't exist: he's using it to refer to the developing world as a whole and is essentially admitting that to him the entire developing world is one big (rather racist) stereotype. I fail to see how you can defend this and not get that it is, at best, a suicidal line and at worst a sign that he's a small minded bigoted ****. Seriously - in the time it'd take me to get that through your xenophobic skull I could raise the money to buy Kenya, rename it bongo-bongo land, adopt a child from there, fly them back to the UK, send them through university and get them up to an MP so they could release a press-statement to tell you how ****ing stupid a comment it was.

lol - thanks for that.

It's pretty clear from what he's been saying afterwards he was referring to corrupt leaders across the globe who do not put the money to the best use - no malicious intent whatsoever. However it's being spun by the media trying to again portray UKIP as racist.  He said himself he regards the remark in the same bracket as ruritania, third-world etc

It's an off the cuff remark taken out of context blown up out of proportion. He's said he won't say it again so noone can be offended.

Edited by lavrentis

Saying Ongo Bongo Land isn't necessarily racist.

Hating someone, or not associating with someone or being prejudiced against someone because of their race is racist.

Saying Ongo Bong Land just makes him sound a bit untravelled and, well, out of touch.

The intention the guy had of raising awareness of the millions of £££s tipped unaudited and unaccounted for into a foreign aid black hole (no offence intended) has well and truly been achieved.

At a time when our economy is struggling to crawl out of the crapper and welfare in this country is being cut, I think his argument will find a warm reception in some quarters.

I thought the trmark showed ignorance more than anything. He says he wants to reach out yo the norman man in the street and in pubs and clubs. Mot being funny but some of the virews and conversations I have heard in pubs have been just as ignorant. He is welcome to them.

Thank goodness there are intrllegemt people on here.  :)

Bongo bongo land is not racist if he is referring to that magical place where A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango. He stuck it with the others, and he danced a dainty tango.

But he is using it as a disparaging term about the third world. It may not be racist as such but it is certainly dismissive, the fact he then goes to imply all third world countries are corrupt and spending our aid money on Ferraris and such like probably is more offensive than bongo bongo land, as it is lumping all third world countries together.

To be honest I did find his original response quite amusing, where he said he would apologise to all the residents of bongo bongo land, now he has shown he doesn't have the courage of convictions and made a hasty u-turn, obviously looking for a job in the cabinet.

• Like 2