Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

In a swimming pool - Lane discipline, do people not understand it?

I'm talking about the people who go in the swimming lane and just wallow in the middle of said lane whilst other's who are actually trying to swim have to dodge them.

On a similar note people who walk in the pool, is the clue not in the name? Swimming pool, Swimming lane?

I'm talking about the people who go in the swimming lane and just wallow in the middle of said lane whilst other's who are actually trying to swim have to dodge them.

On a similar note people who walk in the pool, is the clue not in the name? Swimming pool, Swimming lane?

you can't swim and piss at the same time, everyone knows that!  :thumbup:

• Like 2

you can't swim and piss at the same time, everyone knows that! :thumbup:

lol

Twats when the NFL is on at Wembley spouting the usual cliches like they're the first to ever say them.

"Rugby for pansies!"

"Why is it called football when you don't use your feet?!"

"It's not soccer it's called football!" (unaware that soccer is a British English word)

Wankers, if you don't like it just shut up and let those of us that do enjoy it.

Twats when the NFL is on at Wembley spouting the usual cliches like they're the first to ever say them.

"Rugby for pansies!"

"It's not soccer it's called football!" (unaware that soccer is a British English word)

Wankers, if you don't like it just shut up and let those of us that do enjoy it.

Does betray a certain lack of knowledge - the padding is necessary for the off-ball hits that happen (and they look like they hurt), the feet are occasionally used, and soccer is indeed derived from the term Association football.

That said, it's occasionally funny to wind up our cousins across the pond, and I do call it 'gridiron' rather than just 'football'.

Does betray a certain lack of knowledge - the padding is necessary for the off-ball hits that happen (and they look like they hurt), the feet are occasionally used, and soccer is indeed derived from the term Association football.

That said, it's occasionally funny to wind up our cousins across the pond, and I do call it 'gridiron' rather than just 'football'.

That's exactly it - I don't understand something so I'm going to sit here and slag it off. Does my head in.

"Rugby for pansies!"

I used to be like that, but having taken more of an interest since I got roped into a fantasy team this year I've found it's actually fairly interesting. Not a patch on "real football" though :D

I used to be like that, but having taken more of an interest since I got roped into a fantasy team this year I've found it's actually fairly interesting. Not a patch on "real football" though :D

Maybe I was being a bit harsh in my original post. :D Most people I know who have spent time trying to get into it actually really enjoy it.

'Proper football' stopped being proper when they introduced huge financial incentives to finish 2nd, 3rd and 4th, or just survive near the bottom of the Premier League. NFL has all the razmatazz and nonsense but the sport has been less tainted by money than in the Premiershit.

'Proper football' stopped being proper when they introduced huge financial incentives to finish 2nd, 3rd and 4th, or just survive near the bottom of the Premier League. NFL has all the razmatazz and nonsense but the sport has been less tainted by money than in the Premiershit.

You may well be right, but my point was about the tactical stop start vs the non stop things could change in a second nature of Assocation Football.

I watched it for a couple of minutes. One of the players ran with the ball for about 50 yards and then got tackled and pushed out of play. Some team mates of the guy who ran with the ball started giving him hugs and high fives so I assume he did good. Then they played approximately five seconds of music to keep the crowd entertained while the ref spoke to his linesman. The music then stopped as the ref made some announcement to the whole stadium over the pa system, while looking up into the tv camera. Then it cut to adverts and I changed the channel.

• Like 1

I watched it for a couple of minutes. One of the players ran with the ball for about 50 yards and then got tackled and pushed out of play. Some team mates of the guy who ran with the ball started giving him hugs and high fives so I assume he did good. Then they played approximately five seconds of music to keep the crowd entertained while the ref spoke to his linesman. The music then stopped as the ref made some announcement to the whole stadium over the pa system, while looking up into the tv camera. Then it cut to adverts and I changed the channel.

It's basically rugby but after someone is tackled they have an advertising break.

I guess it's a bit tit-for-tat really. For every closed-minded idiot and their ignorant attitude to American Football, there's probably one in the USA with the same attitude to soccer.

Some insanely intelligent athletes and coaches producing and memorising complex plays which they are not only able to remember but execute brilliantly. People that 'don't get it' are fine, it's those that feel the need to broadcast are the folk I feel sorry for.

• Like 2

I do think "insanely intelligent athletes" is ridiculously over the top.

I actually enjoy the super bowl and I'd watch the sport far more often than I do if it wasn't for the constant breaks for adverts. I suppose you just have to accept that that comes with American tv culture.

But everyone on the field has an immensely specific role, they generally have one task to remember and they're told before every, single play what they need to do. There's very, very little room for creativity and innovation (helmet catch aside.)

Compared to rugby union, association football and other games that are far more "free running" and which aren't directed play by every, single play by a coach? They're practically on autopilot.

Physically, there's definitely some phenomenal athletes in the NFL (a lot of whom would totally monster the average English premiership rugby player) but let's not make out you have to be Brian Cox to understand "run in X direction, the ball is coming from Y."

I find it makes a huge difference being with someone who really knows the game, I used to watch it in a bar with a mate and that was fun since there's usually some rivalry and banter. My kids went to UCLA so that's a team we follow although in recent years it's been painful.

My daughter is an avid Pats fan and never misses a game and my son has Falcons tickets so they are both very knowledgeable and so it's great to watch with them. Despite that we all record the game, flipping through the ads, and start watching late in the game so it becomes live in the last quarter.

Edited by Smudge