Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

It helps if you understand the rules. It is the stop start that gets me. Might be better to delay record it and skim through adverts and boring bits. When I worked nights I started to watch baseball. Kinda got into that eventually. The commentators and breaks were annoying though. Every time a ball was hit or missed there was a five minute discussion until the next player was ready.

Edited by Rincewind

I just saw a Fiat 500 advert where a car flies off a seaside road somewhere sunny, flies through the air, dives into the sea and then surfaces in London, where it drives around looking small and trendy.

However, my attention was drawn as the car plunged off the road, flew through the air and into the sea, to a small warning caption which came up on screen:

"Fiction.  Do Not Attempt".

Really?

Do people need to be warned not to drive their car off a cliff?

:blink:

What kind of world of morons have we created?

• Like 1

I just saw a Fiat 500 advert where a car flies off a seaside road somewhere sunny, flies through the air, dives into the sea and then surfaces in London, where it drives around looking small and trendy.

However, my attention was drawn as the car plunged off the road, flew through the air and into the sea, to a small warning caption which came up on screen:

"Fiction. Do Not Attempt".

Really?

Do people need to be warned not to drive their car off a cliff?

:blink:

What kind of world of morons have we created?

lol

I'm not sure if it's the morons that started this trend themselves or the army of people willing to legally defend the terminally stupid people that are just waiting for summat to happen. Plus the hyper sensitive companies who are eager to add a disclaimer to everything to avoid any problems.

Case of the Chicken and egg I guess but you're right there's some proper idiots out there.

Edited by Guest

This is a really stupid one, but when people say up to refer to a location that is south and down to a location that is north, as in someone from Leicester saying "we're going up to London" or "we're going down to Manchester." What really annoys me about it is not the up/down-north/south corelation, just the fact that it actually matters to me when I know that it shoudln't, because even if you say up for north and down for south, it's still not right - north is north and south is south, up is up and down is down. I suppose you could say you're going up to the Cairngorms or down to the Fens.

Stupid pedant.

This is a really stupid one, but when people say up to refer to a location that is south and down to a location that is north, as in someone from Leicester saying "we're going up to London" or "we're going down to Manchester." What really annoys me about it is not the up/down-north/south corelation, just the fact that it actually matters to me when I know that it shoudln't, because even if you say up for north and down for south, it's still not right - north is north and south is south, up is up and down is down. I suppose you could say you're going up to the Cairngorms or down to the Fens.

Stupid pedant.

Nugent said that about Barnsley.

Stupid pedant.

Up and Down are used in the rail industry to describe a line's direction. In England its normally directions into London (Up Line) or out of London (Down Line). Trains from Leicester use the Up line to London & Down line to Nottingham for example. I think it originates from the early railways going up to the mines then down to the ports, no idea it this is where it originates from when giving directions.

• Like 1

Up and Down are used in the rail industry to describe a line's direction. In England its normally directions into London (Up Line) or out of London (Down Line). Trains from Leicester use the Up line to London & Down line to Nottingham for example. I think it originates from the early railways going up to the mines then down to the ports, no idea it this is where it originates from when giving directions.

That makes sense now. One less thing to grind my gears! :sweating:

Guest MattP

Strictly come Dancing

Parents were watching it he other day, it has to be the most diabolical show ever broadcast.

I've never watched it but hearing Rachel Riley and Susanna Reid are on has tempted me.

Guest MattP

Never watched it either, but I like the idea of learning to ballroom dance, something quite romantic about taking someone dancing.

Like your style Ron, I completely agree.

I don't like any sort of celeb/reality shows but something like this that keeps a old fashioned traditional hobby in the limelight must do some good.

Incomparable to a Big Brother/X Factor type show.

Like your style Ron, I completely agree.

I don't like any sort of celeb/reality shows but something like this that keeps a old fashioned traditional hobby in the limelight must do some good.

Incomparable to a Big Brother/X Factor type show.

Very true. 

I used to go and watch my sister ballroom dance when I was younger, she was very talented and won awards and danced at a high level, my mum was good too.  I guess it is old fashioned thesedays but when I see old footage of women and men all dressed to the nine's dancing away I think its great, makes me think of my mum and dad dancing together.  They can still do a bit of rock n roll given the right setting.

When you see 2 good dancers it's a beautiful thing to watch....not sure vanessa phelps has what it takes.

Edited by purpleronnie
  • Like 1