Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Guest MattP

Newspaper slander.

Two pretty poor efforts today from bith sides of the spectrum.

Various newspapers picturing Nigel Farage with a Hitler moustache, appalling slander appealing to the lowest form of thicko and the Daily Mail making a terrible personal attack on Ed Miliband with an article on his father and how he "hated Britain".

Edited by MattP

Newspaper slander.

Various newspapers picturing Nigel Farage with a Hitler moustache, appalling slander appealing to the lowest form of thicko and the Daily Mail making a terrible personal attack on Ed Miliband with an article on his father and how he "hated Britain".

Its getting like the 80's.

Newspaper slander.

Yup. Gotta love the press eh?

People who start their reply to a question with: "so..."

For example:

"How does this work in practical terms"?

"So, we have to consider..."

or:

"What is your view on global warming"?

"So, it is clear that..."

It's yet another Americanism creeping into our language.

For example:

or:

Worse is "Look". Former Tigers player and coach Pat Howard used to do it all the time, but equally as bad is "listen". I don't need to be given an instruction as part of your reply - I asked you a question, why on Earth would you think I'm not listening?!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

For example:

or:

Crikey, you're having a tough day today. I don't know how you cope.

• Like 1

Worse is "Look". Former Tigers player and coach Pat Howard used to do it all the time, but equally as bad is "listen". I don't need to be given an instruction as part of your reply - I asked you a question, why on Earth would you think I'm not listening?!

Look is very much an Aussie thing.

This is a really stupid one, but when people say up to refer to a location that is south and down to a location that is north, as in someone from Leicester saying "we're going up to London" or "we're going down to Manchester." What really annoys me about it is not the up/down-north/south corelation, just the fact that it actually matters to me when I know that it shoudln't, because even if you say up for north and down for south, it's still not right - north is north and south is south, up is up and down is down. I suppose you could say you're going up to the Cairngorms or down to the Fens.

Stupid pedant.

Up and Down are used in the rail industry to describe a line's direction. In England its normally directions into London (Up Line) or out of London (Down Line). Trains from Leicester use the Up line to London & Down line to Nottingham for example. I think it originates from the early railways going up to the mines then down to the ports, no idea it this is where it originates from when giving directions.

check out the big brain on brad!

Why do all silly women think that Dirty Dancing is the most romantic film in the world?

It's literally about employees of a holiday camp trying to poke all the young girls who are on holiday with their families. 

If Patrick Swayze's part was played by Gary Glitter, would they all still love the film so much?

Why do all silly women think that Dirty Dancing is the most romantic film in the world?

It's literally about employees of a holiday camp trying to poke all the young girls who are on holiday with their families. 

If Patrick Swayze's part was played by Gary Glitter, would they all still love the film so much?

Same with Pretty Woman where the premise is if you become a prostitute the man of your dreams will come along and whisk you away. I wonder how many women would love it if Richard Gere's part was played by David Pleat?

Guest MattP

Same with Pretty Woman where the premise is if you become a prostitute the man of your dreams will come along and whisk you away. I wonder how many women would love it if Richard Gere's part was played by David Pleat?

If they looked like Julia Roberts they could.

They couldn't have pulled off that film with the skag from the Blue Banana club who was her mate.

My proposed final scene for my ground-breaking remake of Dirty Dancing.

You are a paedophile, you are a nonce, you're a perv, you're a slot badger, you're a two-pin DIN plug, you're a bush dodger, you're a small bean regarder, you're an unabummer, you're a nut administrator, you're a bent ref, you're the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, you're a fence foal, you're a free willy, you're a chimney bottler, you're a Bunty man, you're a shrub rocketeer...

This is a really stupid one, but when people say up to refer to a location that is south and down to a location that is north, as in someone from Leicester saying "we're going up to London" or "we're going down to Manchester." What really annoys me about it is not the up/down-north/south corelation, just the fact that it actually matters to me when I know that it shoudln't, because even if you say up for north and down for south, it's still not right - north is north and south is south, up is up and down is down. I suppose you could say you're going up to the Cairngorms or down to the Fens.

Stupid pedant.

I think that comes from the railways when the up line was always in the direction of London and the down line the oppsite one