Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Guest MattP

The bloke on the left owned the Mail. His family still do.

1381611_547484471990108_562461867_n.jpg

Well if that's the case the family should give up the company immediately, I mean a picture of a national figure at the time standing a yard apart? While we are at it we should shut down the England football team as well for giving nazi salutes in 1936. Maybe we should censor Jesse Owens for smashing the myth of him ruining the games for Hitler in later life.

There used to be a guy in Glenfield called Mr Hoffman, an incredible character, he had so many stories in life he should have written a book, on his fireplace he actually had a picture of him and Adolf, it's one of the most surreal things to actually look it, real history.

The Mail should have gone with a story on Milibands Grandad, he was a member of a gang of mass murderers.

Guest MattP

You might want to pipe down before you get egg on your face, Matt. Ken actually has you here.

The Mail was a keen supporter of Mosley and British fascism. It's not really an "innocent" link is it?

I know Finners, I'm not that daft, I've read it all. Hurrah for the blackshirts!

It was 80 years ago, to bring it up now as a argument against the paper is absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by MattP

The Mail seems to have shot itself in the foot with the Miliband article. They are trying to argue against curbs on press freedom by printing an utterly vile article on the father of the leader of the opposition which is only likely to strengthen calls for curbs on press freedom.

I also think they've done Ed a big favour with publicity, a man who really struggles to connect with people. It's hard not to feel solidarity with a man passionately defending his father, even Cameron has had to show support.

Guest MattP

Nice article. Didn't realise the Mirror did as well, always why Kevin Maguire had never brought the "facist Mail" up on Sky Paper Review, there's the reason.

It's a low form when you have to attack someone for something 80 years ago, hence why I orginally put the post of how I thought the Mail was out of order attacking the Marxist Millionaire. It's nothing to do with Ed in reality, The Sun shouldnt print pictures of Blair and Brown shaking hands with Saddam Hussien on election week to discredit the Labour party either. It's what happens now that matters.

Guest MattP

wallisedwardhitler.jpg

Let's check out a few other of his supporters  while we're at it .

They look very cosy, Who are they ? 

Nice, I'd absolutely love a picture with Hitler, it's incredible history.

Read Jesse Owens book if you ever get a chance, he carried a picture of Hitler around in his wallet that they had taken together after he won the 100m in Berlin, despite that the media have still always tried to make out he left the stadium in disgust after the event when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Edited by MattP

Guest MattP

I detest the Daily Mail utterly, and its story on Milliband's dad is both pathetic and ironic given what they were up to 80 years ago.  It is all nonsense, and in fact Ed has come out of this looking better after standing up quite rightly for his father.

Agree, it's a huge own goal from them.

Made Ed look like a victim.

Worse is "Look". Former Tigers player and coach Pat Howard used to do it all the time, but equally as bad is "listen". I don't need to be given an instruction as part of your reply - I asked you a question, why on Earth would you think I'm not listening?!

These are the two opening words used excessively and in such a patronising way by so many politicians.

I detest the Daily Mail utterly, and its story on Milliband's dad is both pathetic and ironic given what they were up to 80 years ago.  It is all nonsense, and in fact Ed has come out of this looking better after standing up quite rightly for his father.

Agree, it's a huge own goal from them.

Made Ed look like a victim.

Fair play you two. :thumbup:  I would've had you down as lovers of the right wing press

Nice, I'd absolutely love a picture with Hitler, it's incredible history.

Read Jesse Owens book if you ever get a chance, he carried a picture of Hitler around in his wallet that they had taken together after he won the 100m in Berlin, despite that the media have still always tried to make out he left the stadium in disgust after the event when it couldn't be further from the truth.

what's stopping you ? I bet 21stC fox will knock summat up for you  :D

Guest MattP

Fair play you two. :thumbup:  I would've had you down as lovers of the right wing press

I read the Times and occasionaly the Telegraph.

I have no time for the Mail hence the annoyance when everyone who expresses a "right wing" opinion gets tarred as a reader.

It's a glorified celeb magazine targeted at middle aged women from what I can see on the website, if you want a real hardline right wing paper in the style of the Mail the Express is ten times as bad.

what's stopping you ? I bet 21stC fox will knock summat up for you  :D

:D I'll give him a shout

Fair enough but Milliband cannot be held responsible for aleged claims by his father. What are the Mail saying? That Milliband is further right than the Torys the Mail or readership? Bit ridiculous. Labour are not the Labour of old but the basic principles are there somewhere.

To me it seems that they are using the story to divert attention from other issues.

Any politician should be judged on their policies, ability etc, not on what their father may have done or said....

But there's also something offensive about suggesting that someone "hates Britain" merely because they want to change it. That's the sort of false and harmful rhetoric that usually occurs across the Atlantic.

I wouldn't for a minute claim that Nigel Farage "hates Britain" simply because he wants to leave the EU and reduce immigration. Nor would I even claim that Nick Griffin or Tommy Robinson "hate Britain". I'd contest their views and the potential consequences of them. Likewise, anyone is entitled to criticise Ed Miliband's policies or abilities.

How are his father's Marxist views relevant, unless Ed M is espousing them himself (which he's not)? Not many of us are defined by our parents' opinions - influenced, sometimes, but not defined....

The fact that Ralph M came to this country to escape death, became a British subject, served in the British navy and spent the rest of his life/career here seems proof enough that he didn't "hate Britain", even if that was relevant to judgment of his son. Like everyone from Tony Benn to Nigel Farage, he wanted to change Britain...all part of a democratic society.

• Like 1

"If you love your country, stand up against those that would destroy it! Protest, is, patriotism!!"

Best intro to an album ever. (Yeah, sorry, I'm quoting boysetsfire, nothing deep or profound!)

i'm pretty sure boysetfire ( whoever they are) weren't the first to say something like that :D  

Jefferson probably .

i'm pretty sure boysetfire ( whoever they are) weren't the first to say something like that :D  

Jefferson probably .

Jefferson airplane?

Are you sure it wasn't Washington? The Washington who was Pete Wylie's sidekick in Wah!, I mean...