Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

My article for the student paper has been edited to remove the line saying George Galloway is a lying,cheating sleezeball who will steal and manipulate to get what he wants...

why would they remove a statement of fact?

So.. gears grinded by... designer stuff, all of it, and the knobs who pay for it.

this x 10

I know it's not designer, but why on earth do people buy things ling G-Chav Raw and Superchav?  For the same price you could buy something none branded that actually looks nice.

Assuming Superchav is Superdry, I'll stick up for them there.

It seems their imitation North Face waterproof jackets are predominantly terrible and far too common but most of their clothing is excellent and you can't get the same quality elsewhere.

Yes, I paid fifty quid for a hoody and yes it's reasonably expensive but it's thick, it's warm, it's comfortable, it's very well tailored, it's rugged, it's been washed hundreds of times without any of the above being diminished.

The same is true of their woolens nearly all of their winter clothes are brilliantly warm and durable without being garish, hideous and obnoxious.

It may not be purpleronnies brand of choice but it'll do me. I've had hoodies and jumpers from everywhere and nothing lasts like Superdry whilst staying vaguely within my tastes.

Oh and chav, really? It's hardly an executive, high class designer brand but I wouldn't describe it as chav.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

Assuming Superchav is Superdry, I'll stick up for them there.

It seems their imitation North Face waterproof jackets are predominantly terrible and far too common but most of their clothing is excellent and you can't get the same quality elsewhere.

Yes, I paid fifty quid for a hoody and yes it's reasonably expensive but it's thick, it's warm, it's comfortable, it's very well tailored, it's rugged, it's been washed hundreds of times without any of the above being diminished.

The same is true of their woolens nearly all of their winter clothes are brilliantly warm and durable without being garish, hideous and obnoxious.

It may not be purpleronnies brand of choice but it'll do me. I've had hoodies and jumpers from everywhere and nothing lasts like Superdry whilst staying vaguely within my tastes.

Oh and chav, really? It's hardly an executive, high class designer brand but I wouldn't describe it as chav.

very good and eloquent defence.  maybe the quality of the clothes is better than I give it credit for.

maybe I simply hadn't seen past the tastless branding that they stick on everything.  each to their own i guess.

Tailored clothes are where it's at. Once you feel those hand cut luxury shirtings, you ain't never going back to no brand name, trust.

This.

Never heard Superdry described as a chav brand either. I actually quite like the winter coats.

Depends what you mean by designer clothes. Spending money on a tailored suit is understandable. Spending £200 on a stone Island hoodie that looks and feels no different to any other hoodie? Or a pair of the latest Nike training shoes? Maybe less understandable. 

I generally wear Boss, Paul Smith or Armani, it's not that expensive and it lasts and looks good.

This.

Never heard Superdry described as a chav brand either. I actually quite like the winter coats.

I generally wear Boss, Paul Smith or Armani, it's not that expensive and it lasts and looks good.

I agree, a lot of people who slate designer gear haven't actually owned any. I don't buy many designer clothes but those that I do have I can tell the difference big time. If I had more disposable income I would buy more for the quality, although I am only really bothered about shoes, jeans and coats.

very good and eloquent defence. maybe the quality of the clothes is better than I give it credit for.

maybe I simply hadn't seen past the tastless branding that they stick on everything. each to their own i guess.

I don't wear the stuff with huge Superdry logos on, they're a bit vile. Most of the winter jumpers and coats aren't branded though (besides a small tag.) Nor are a lot of their polo shirts, which are also quite nice.

They've got a fair mix of slightly tasteful and more tacky stuff but they're all got a very high production quality in common. By contrast, I bought two Jack Jones tops for the same price as one SD hood and both have now either fallen to bits or didn't survive beyond four or five washes, shambles.

I agree, a lot of people who slate designer gear haven't actually owned any. I don't buy many designer clothes but those that I do have I can tell the difference big time. If I had more disposable income I would buy more for the quality, although I am only really bothered about shoes, jeans and coats.

Spot on.

I've got Boss polo shirts I wear at least once a week from 18 months ago and they still look brand new. Say that cost £130 I've easily had value for money from it.

Imagine how good one of Purpleronnie's 8k suits must feel for him to shell out that for one day. :o

Edited by MattP

Spot on.

I've got Boss polo shirts I wear at least once a week from 18 months ago and they still look brand new. Say that cost £130 I've easily had value for money from it.

Imagine how good one of Purpleronnie's 8k suits must feel for him to shell out that for one day. :o

8K?  A little exaggeration there Matt. ;)

I understand the confusion over designer clothing thesedays, as the word 'designer' in itself has many connotations.  I suppose most will see designer clothes as the 'high end' in branding and price.  There are certain designers I like not because of their name or logo but the quality of the material, the cut etc.... 

As Matt pointed out a top quality piece can last for a long time and can be more cost effective than buying cheap and often.

???

I don't think he agrees with you Ken.

p.s. I should point out I did not spend 8 grand on a suit, and I get the impression people think I only wear the most expensive clothes ever made, this is not true, more often than not I buy very reasonably priced clothes.

Purpleronnie spending 8k on a suit though, I salute and aspire to be at that level of disposable income.

lol He didn't even tell me the cost, I just thought I'd throw in 8k and see if it could pass.

8K?  A little exaggeration there Matt. ;)

I understand the confusion over designer clothing thesedays, as the word 'designer' in itself has many connotations.  I suppose most will see designer clothes as the 'high end' in branding and price.  There are certain designers I like not because of their name or logo but the quality of the material, the cut etc.... 

As Matt pointed out a top quality piece can last for a long time and can be more cost effective than buying cheap and often.

:D

Sums it up for me, it can be more cost effective, the tweed range I like for when I go Racing is Magee but it's actually one of the cheaper designer cottoners, I wouldn't swop a £220 jacket with them for a £600 one elsewhere. If you are buying your deisgner stuff purely on cost you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

You do not always have to go to top shops and pay top pricece for stuff. Give it 12 months and that 8k suit could be in an Oxfam shop for £20

Problem is it's highly likely you're wearing a suit than another guy has been commando in numerous times and covered it in his juices on occasions.