Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Pubs have been on the decline for years,and I don't care what anybody says it's down to cheap alcohol from shops.It's,totally changed our culture,and for me in a bad way.If people wanna crack can after can at home then carry on,I'm just glad I have a nice local to wonder round to.

There are some pubs that are OK but like you say things have changed. I go in the Kings Head a lot. They do no fancy dinners only the occasonal cheese cob. they even let you bring your own food in. Its customers they want in that drink ill not coffee drinkers.

People who enjoy pubs and pub atmospheres can still go to pubs, people who can't afford it/prefer drinking at home can do that for less. Everyone's a winner. 

Also at this time of year isn't everyone buying trolley-loads of ale from shops for the Christmas/New Year period? House parties and gatherings of families and friends most days for about a week, you need to stock up. 

I'm not really one for drinking at home. Not the can stuff anyway. Had some bottle stuff over Xmas. Got one left and a bottle of SA Shiraz wine. Don't know when I'll drink that. Cant drink it in one session. If I stop in NYE may open it then but if the KH is open late may go in there. A nice friendly bunch.

What kind of pubs are closing? From what I have seen it is the very local pubs that have relied on the same small number of customers to keep them going, and the cheap chain pubs with no atmosphere. Generally the good pubs with a decent range (ales and foreign lagers) and a good service and atmosphere (rather than just having the football on or some loud music blaring out) seem to be busy, at least in London anyway.

All the ones that have closed that I know of are ones I just wouldn't have gone to as they were shit, during the boom of the noughties I think a lot of pubs could get by on being cheap and available as people had a lot more disposable income and were more willing to go down the pub and watch the footy or meet friends and convenience was as big a draw as quality, but I think as money got a bit tighter, people started resenting paying £3 for a flat pint in a grotty dive. I think licensing laws have made a difference to the local dive as well, at 9 o'clock it wasn't worth heading into town for a couple of pints and have to make your way back at 11 or make a big night of it, but now you can very easily find a place to have a few drinks until 12-1am without having to go to a club, so people are more willing to travel to a decent pub as you get more time there to enjoy a few pints.

• Like 1

Thought that sort of place would be up your street. You look down on the riff raff and and common people and up at bankers and their like.

I am one of the common people! I don't live in a mansion or earn a fortune or go on flash holidays and nor do I choose to spend what money I do have in overpriced pretentious eateries

I am one of the common people! I don't live in a mansion or earn a fortune or go on flash holidays and nor do I choose to spend what money I do have in overpriced pretentious eateries

I was joking. I am sure you are a very nice commoner. I agree with you. I don't like those places either or mix with pretentious people.

I've known people that do. One bloke I worked with used to go on how he went to the rugby and met a much better class of person there. If it was not for a Spot The ball win he;d still be living on a council estate. He was about retired when I knew him last over 10 years ago so may not be around now.

I find it annoying sometimes when queueing up for a beer and the bar staff are taking multiple orders for food and coffee. Maybe they should have a seperate section or waitress service for food.

Anyway in a few of those places the choice of ale is limited.

I'm not really one for drinking at home. Not the can stuff anyway. Had some bottle stuff over Xmas. Got one left and a bottle of SA Shiraz wine. Don't know when I'll drink that. Cant drink it in one session. If I stop in NYE may open it then but if the KH is open late may go in there. A nice friendly bunch.

Enjoy your SA Shiraz.

I was going to mention it on the prezzie thread, it's a decent bottle you got.

Bananas that go straight from green, to brown. No yellow.

I nearly posted this the other day. Every single banana I ever buy nowadays looks perfect in the shop, usually Coop or Tesco, but as soon as they're at my house they start going funny. Not like the usual brown they used to go either, but they basically turn into unedible crap.

WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING TO THE BANANAS?

I nearly posted this the other day. Every single banana I ever buy nowadays looks perfect in the shop, usually Coop or Tesco, but as soon as they're at my house they start going funny. Not like the usual brown they used to go either, but they basically turn into unedible crap.

Yep, i've not had a speckled brown banana for ages. Green > Completely brown > Black > White.

Yep, i've not had a speckled brown banana for ages. Green > Completely brown > Black > White.

I remember watching a documentary about a banana plantation about 8 years ago and they were spraying some unnatural stuff straight onto the roots so the tree would drink it. Made the bananas smell like cat piss.

They've obviously took it up a level since then and something they're doing is messing with the banana lifespan. I want normal bananas back.

When you take something to the rubbish bin and see that its full to the top of empty plastic 2 litre coke bottles or Sprite or whatever.

Take the lid off, squeeze the air out tighten the lid again  and THEN put it in.... It's not difficult is it?!?!?

Same goes for those 4 litre and 6 litre milk carton thingies........

You can get so much more in your rubbish bin then!

Annoys me so much!

Edited by MPH

When you take something to the rubbish bin and see that its full to the top of empty plastic 2 litre coke bottles or Sprite or whatever.

Take the lid off, squeeze the air out tighten the lid again  and THEN put it in.... It's not difficult is it?!?!?

Same goes for those 4 litre and 6 litre milk carton thingies........

You can get so much more in your rubbish bin then!

Annoys me so much!

I can see how that would leave you feeling deflated.

white? dude you need to throw your 'nanas away mate.

People who live out entire relationships, even marriages - MARRIAGES - on fvcking facebook. Great entertainment when these morons sack each other off though.

If you're genuinely that happy with the person you're with, you probably don't need to tell the rest of the world every day to reassure yourself.

• Like 2