Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

You're kidding me, right? Shutter Island was a brilliant film.

This is where my gripe with it is. People read books and then make assumptions about what the film should be like. Then the film has some differences and they throw a wobbly and just say the film is shit when it's clearly not.

What assumption? I personally wouldn't have an opinion on a film unless I've seen it. I didn't like shutter island film because it detracted a fair bit too much from the book. I found myself hooked to the book and a bit underwhelmed with the film.

All the Tories and their Liberal lackeys who voted like sheep for cutting anti-flood defences and are now trying to blame the Environment Agency. Laughable!  

I don't get how Cameron is able to have the nerve to say 'money is not an object' when it comes to flood defences. So why was that not the case when cuts were made?

I don't get how Cameron is able to have the nerve to say 'money is not an object' when it comes to flood defences. So why was that not the case when cuts were made?

From "greenest government ever" to "cut the green crap." Now Cameroon is back to saying climate change is "a serious threat." Hilarious!

From "greenest government ever" to "cut the green crap." Now Cameroon is back to saying climate change is "a serious threat." Hilarious!

Cameron has always been one of the climate change apologists.

Anyone see beaker talking to that girl on sky news today? Like watching a bloke move in on a widow at a funeral.

Cameron has always been one of the climate change apologists.

Anyone see beaker talking to that girl on sky news today? Like watching a bloke move in on a widow at a funeral.

He's back on that horse again now Matt, but he spent weeks trying to blame the rise in the cost of energy almost entirely on so-called "green levies" (hence, cut the green crap). The man has no backbone or principles at all.

Edited by l444ry

Re: flood budget cutting, it was a gamble and it didn't pay off but nobody could have foreseen the unprecedented levels of rain this year. It would have been irresponsible of the government to cut the budgets for education and the NHS and not flood defences. Not going to target them specifically for this, but I still think their approach to austerity as a whole was wrong.

Re: books vs films. It is a completely different experience, and I would love to see films tackle popular books in a completely different way, remain faithful to the book, but have a different approach. Recent example being the hunger games, yeah I know, but the books are all very linear first person POV with only one POV, the films deviate from that slightly with some added scenes without the heroine.

If they had completely flipped the perspective, so instead of the story being all about the heroine, it could be done from the point of view of the audience, as though you were watching the hunger games on tv. I think it would have made just as good a film, but add something very different from the book but wouldn't detract from the book, and book lovers could enjoy it as it builds on the world they have created rather than tries to recreate it. It would also encourage people to experience both.

He's back on that horse again now Matt, but he spent weeks trying to blame the rise in the cost of energy almost entirely on so-called "green levies" (hence, cut the green crap). The man has no backbone or principles at all.

I remember that, doesn't mean he dropped his belief in climate change though, just put some blame on it for the extra tax.

The Winter Olympics.

Let's be honest, it's really shit.

No one really cares unless you live in a place covered by snow and most of the events just seem to be dare devils showing off in some weird way. Just waiting for a few ugly Scottish curlers to turn up and it will be complete.

I ski so I'm enjoying it and the standard of female boarders has been of a very high d.Might give the figure skating a miss mind you. Edited by cambridgefox

This goes back a lot longer than 2010 my friend.

I'm sure it does Jon. But why would Cameron the climate change "apologist" employ Paterson the climate change "denier" as the Environment Secretary? Cameron apologists can dress it up however they like but flooding has got worse in recent years and the Tories CUT the flood defence budget when it needed INCREASING.  

Edited by l444ry

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/10/giraffe-killed-fuss-human-beings-animals-marius?CMP=fb_gu

Ia a prerequisite of commenting on a paper website to be an absolute spanner?

Choice comments being the other zoos could have wanted the giraffe (they didn't - the giraffe was offered out to zoos to no response)

It's not educational, it's child cruelty (autopsies are educational, they are good tools for learning anatomy, and children weren't forced to watch)

And the best one:

Hitler is alive and running Copenhagen zoo (because of course killing one giraffe is akin to mass systematic murder)

I'm sure it does Jon. But why would Cameron the climate change "apologist" employ Paterson the climate change "denier" as the Environment Secretary? Cameron apologists can dress it up however they like but flooding has got worse in recent years and the Tories CUT the flood defence budget when it needed INCREASING.  

Tidea that the best solution is to spend so much all risk is removed is nonsense.  It may be that once a decade flooding in areas like the Somerset levels is deemed acceptable and rightly so - but the media hype at the moment doesnt allow anyone to say that.

Re Berkshire and Surrey no one is blaming dredging ,they are mostly complaining about the lack of response.  There is no reason why the army could not have been on the ground in their thousands 2-3 days earlier helping people.  That is poor planning from the EA and wider.

Love it.  Wont send this to my mate who lives 100 metres from the Thames in Datchet just yet.  He is busying trying to keep his pumps going when the power keens fluctuating and tripping the fuses.

I'm sure it does Jon. But why would Cameron the climate change "apologist" employ Paterson the climate change "denier" as the Environment Secretary? Cameron apologists can dress it up however they like but flooding has got worse in recent years and the Tories CUT the flood defence budget when it needed INCREASING.

Jesus, the left get so nasty when bitter. I thought that was the Tory brand.