Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

I hate the ones who swerve when I am overtaking most of all.  To be fair, you can usually spot the people with poor judgement because they bought a horrible car.

I hate the ones that flash their lights at you simply because you 'dared' to overtake them, no matter how sensibly you performed the manoeuver. :glare:

I turned into a yob a few months ago,I took on a line of about 7 one evening ,on a road I know and it was clear as far as I could see,I was hooted at ,lights put on full beam,flashed.Why did I do it because I can do it quickly and I believe safely.one bloke sped up flashing for ages, so I slowed had my arm out of the window signalling I believe that I was number one with my finger.Got to the roundabout and put the old girl in sport mode and floored it.To be honest my work car isn't sluggish for a company car.

The stupidly lax attitude towards computer security/virus protection in this country.

In a nation with one of the fastest and best Web infrastructures in the world, where everyone buys a shitload of stuff on tic and therefore ludicrous amounts of sensitive data are online, and is still technically at war with a hostile power capable of cyber-incursions...you'd have thought we'd have moved on from using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6/7 and ActiveX for all administrative stuff in the vast majority of computers in workplaces. Oh, and trusting utterly ineffective Korean antivirus software over much much better efforts from elsewhere.

Now that XP is no longer supported this place is so open to computer attack it's not even funny.

The stupidly lax attitude towards computer security/virus protection in this country.

In a nation with one of the fastest and best Web infrastructures in the world, where everyone buys a shitload of stuff on tic and therefore ludicrous amounts of sensitive data are online, and is still technically at war with a hostile power capable of cyber-incursions...you'd have thought we'd have moved on from using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6/7 and ActiveX for all administrative stuff in the vast majority of computers in workplaces. Oh, and trusting utterly ineffective Korean antivirus software over much much better efforts from elsewhere.

Now that XP is no longer supported this place is so open to computer attack it's not even funny.

on another subject,the ferry disaster is headline news here and rightly so.How does the media work in S Korea out of interest,panic,anger,covering 24 hrs.just interested to know,and before someone jumps on me I know it's not North Korea.

Guest MattP

I always imagined South Korea to be one of the most enlightened places in the World but reading what leicsmac writes and watching the relatives on Sky hiring out their own rescue boats the place looks a right bodge job.

on another subject,the ferry disaster is headline news here and rightly so.How does the media work in S Korea out of interest,panic,anger,covering 24 hrs.just interested to know,and before someone jumps on me I know it's not North Korea.

How funny would it be if the reply to this was....

"What Disaster?"

The media here is covering it 24/7 in the same style that the Beeb or CNN would, but it is being covered from most angles including trying to find out exactly what happened.

They do tend to be influenced by whoever is in power at the time too much for my liking and the political and media wings are too close to each other, but in terms of actually reporting events they're not too bad.

I always imagined South Korea to be one of the most enlightened places in the World but reading what leicsmac writes and watching the relatives on Sky hiring out their own rescue boats the place looks a right bodge job.

How funny would it be if the reply to this was....

"What Disaster?"

When there's a detailed plan to stick to, South Korea is utterly fantastic - like with their public transportation (both bus and rail networks are part-owned by Government and private companies) which is incredibly cheap, clean and efficient, and their various infrastructure projects. The culture of honour here also means there's next to no blue-collar crime - you leave your wallet in a bar, it'll very probably be there with all the money still in the following day. You drop your phone in a taxi, the driver will remember where you live and deliver it back to you.

The problem arises when things go wrong and plans go out the window (like in this case) because due to a lack of critical thinking ability and an amount of respect for the chain of command heirarchy prevalent practically everywhere which means that people still don't tend to question those 'above' them, you get people simply not knowing what to do and not being able to formulate new plans, or not being willing to talk to their superiors to suggest them.

I've talked about the lack of critical thinking that is taught in Korean schools on here before, I think. That combined with a legacy of the brutally authoritarian past of this country resulting in people not questioning those higher up the heirarchy gives you SNAFU's like this.

Somewhat perversely, traffic laws seem to get utterly ignored here, and the old men can do what they like in public and ignore the fuzz, purely because they're old men.

It comes across as too right wing.

Not really, it's pretty socially conservative (which I'm not really a fan of) but very economically liberal with a massive manufacturing wing and very protectionist trade policies. It's more authoritarian than right-wing - again, a legacy of when some really brutal bastards ran the place, one of which was actually the current Presidents father. As I said above, that's the big reason why the place is still pretty authoritarian by comparison to most European nations. However the current generation growing up seem to be becoming a fair bit more progressive than the last one.

Move to the North then and enjoy the benefits of the opposite side.

I think it's safe to say NK is communist pretty much in name only - not like there's much sharing going on up there. One party dictatorship straight out of 1984 is more like it.

• Like 2

I think it's safe to say NK is communist pretty much in name only - not like there's much sharing going on up there. One party dictatorship straight out of 1984 is more like it.

Since when have any communist states ever been genuinely equal?

• Like 1

Leicester's roads :(

I'm with you on this one.

Would you mind expanding on this? Do you mean the state of the roads or the volume of traffic forced onto the piss-poor ring road, the utter joke of traffic management? The blatant and almost total disregard for parking restrictions on Melton Road? 

I have to say, though, that the Belgrave flyover area does look a lot better now that it has gone.

Assumptive bigots do my head in: the kind of people who say things like "Typical [insert object of derision]. Know what I mean?"

I mention this because it happened twice today within the space of an hour. One guy has been in the UK for the past few months, and has come back here for the summer. He was talking about an Asian family who had been in front of him at Luton Airport, with grandparents, husband, wife and three or four kids: "All on benefits I should think. Y'know, typical Pakis." It's the "You know" that really twists my tail, because I genuinely don't know - other than that he is a typical ar$ehole. And it pisses me off that he includes me in his ar$eholeness.

Then at lunchtime, I got it from someone else, talking about their accountant in the UK who is good at sorting out his tax: "Well, you know, typical jew-boy. They know all the wangles." Again, I don't know. And I wish they would all fvck off and leave me out of their bigotry.

• Like 4

Assumptive bigots do my head in: the kind of people who say things like "Typical [insert object of derision]. Know what I mean?"

I mention this because it happened twice today within the space of an hour. One guy has been in the UK for the past few months, and has come back here for the summer. He was talking about an Asian family who had been in front of him at Luton Airport, with grandparents, husband, wife and three or four kids: "All on benefits I should think. Y'know, typical Pakis." It's the "You know" that really twists my tail, because I genuinely don't know - other than that he is a typical ar$ehole. And it pisses me off that he includes me in his ar$eholeness.

Then at lunchtime, I got it from someone else, talking about their accountant in the UK who is good at sorting out his tax: "Well, you know, typical jew-boy. They know all the wangles." Again, I don't know. And I wish they would all fvck off and leave me out of their bigotry.

Definitely, I resent dickheads that say stuff like "fvcking pakis, they need to fvck off back home." Well for a start that's an Indian family, secondly they were all born here and thirdly they certainly make a greater contribution to society than you do.

I'm with you on this one.

Would you mind expanding on this? Do you mean the state of the roads or the volume of traffic forced onto the piss-poor ring road, the utter joke of traffic management? The blatant and almost total disregard for parking restrictions on Melton Road? 

I have to say, though, that the Belgrave flyover area does look a lot better now that it has gone.

Just how slow they are to get around. The fact so many new roadworks lead to utter rubbish.

Who's idea was it to make the mad mile around Fosse Park going towards Leicester 3 lanes into 2 before some brand new traffic lights? It annoys me and I don't even have a car.

The reduction from 3 lqnes to 2 along The Newarke. Utterly ridiculous. The only result I can see is an increase in congestion along Oxford Street and coming out of the Newarks underpass. This seems designed to restrict traffic flow and further frustrate motorists. It seem the council, in particular Soulsby, is waging a vendetta against motorists in the city.

Also, Aylestone Road is now worse than ever driving to the city from Blaby.

I understand when these things come about, everybody wants a piece of the pie...but seeing that advert for 'party house' makes me want to floor my television! Similar in bollox rating and content (I imagine from the adverts) to Made in Chelsea and all that other crap that involved deluded, highly spoilt idiots whose biggest life problem EVER is 'does this person like me, or do they like this other person'.....it's social life or death to them but I can't understand why someone would want to watch other people living life....

I understand when these things come about, everybody wants a piece of the pie...but seeing that advert for 'party house' makes me want to floor my television! Similar in bollox rating and content (I imagine from the adverts) to Made in Chelsea and all that other crap that involved deluded, highly spoilt idiots whose biggest life problem EVER is 'does this person like me, or do they like this other person'.....it's social life or death to them but I can't understand why someone would want to watch other people living life....

It's sad how people go hungry in the world but people are more interested in what Gemma and Arg do next on TOWIE.