Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

If they want to play it, they can play it.

By redacting my quote, you've been a bit obtuse. Clearly I'm talking about it existing as a commercial entity.

If people want to have conker fights, they're free to do so. But they wouldn't expect it to be a spectator sport.

Maybe it's a spectator sport because there are people interested in spectating?

And I doubt the TV companies would do anything that's going to lose them money just to look politically correct?

Maybe it's a spectator sport because there are people interested in spectating?

And I doubt the TV companies would do anything that's going to lose them money just to look politically correct?

Much as I disagree with the idea it's there to satisfy minorities - you ignore that appearing to be a bunch of sexist/racist/homophobic/generally bigoted twats is one of the quickest ways to lose a ****-ton of business; and that putting it on is good publicity.

Edited by The Doctor

Much as I disagree with the idea it's there to satisfy minorities - you ignore that appearing to be a bunch of sexist/racist/homophobic/generally bigoted twats is one of the quickest ways to lose a ****-ton of business; and that putting it on is good publicity.

Not broadcasting women's football wouldn't make them look sexist?

Women have been playing hockey and netball for years. How come there's never any coverage of that?

Because more people are interested in watching women's football than hockey or netball?

Shit football is still football. We've all actually watched it at sone point. If you catch some olympic netball or hockey you on tv you keep on going through the channels. Football gets watched.

Because more people are interested in watching women's football than hockey or netball?

You reckon? Even with all the media attention it gets hardly anyone turns up for the matches.

You reckon? Even with all the media attention it gets hardly anyone turns up for the matches.

I've decided to watch women's football on a few occasions, would never bother to watch hockey or netball.

Ah cos I just saw the calgon one and it pissed me off straight away!!

I've not seen it yet so it'll probably annoy me as well.

The Nike advert is annoying too.

Edited by Wookie

The Ford advert with the text reader is doing my head in at the moment.

The bit where the woman says "we're always late and it's always your fault" to the man. As if it's ever been that way around.

Edited by Webbo

The bit where the woman says "we're always late and it's always your fault" to the man. As if it's ever been that way around.

Has happened to me a few times where there was a pub involved and I lost track of time.

:thumbup:

Whilst I doubt that this is the scenario involved, she IS driving in the ad.

Only thing is, he looks like he would have to show ID to get in a pub and if he did go in a pub, he would drink blue WKD or something...

The phrase 'puts everything into perspective' when somebody dies, especially in the context of a sporting event.

It's so overused and I'm sure people just say it as a throwaway line without any meaning since they've got nothing individual to add to the conversation.

I'm not sure what exactly is being put into perspective. People are not stupid, they know that people dying is sad but also are aware it happens every day. We are not shielded from the notion of death, we see it every day on the news, often see realistic and sometimes disturbing depictions of it in films, and most people will probably have known someone who is now no longer with us.

If it's supposed to mean that sport isn't important because people can die then that's stupid as well. People WILL die, it's not a possibility, it's an inevitability. It's not one or the other, it's not about sport being more important than life, there is no choice. Besides, let's be fair, when we lose a game next season nobody is going to be thinking 'well, it's ok, because at least I'm not dead'. Life is about being emotional, having feeling, not just about existing.  No amount of deaths will change my perspective of that.

I wish people wouldn't make out it's like a life versus passions thing. People generally appreciate & respect the power of death, but they don't need to be ruled by the fear of it. People's passions and the things they feel strongly about, whatever they may be, shouldn't be undermined because of the inevitability of death.

• Like 4