Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

The phrase 'puts everything into perspective' when somebody dies, especially in the context of a sporting event.

It's so overused and I'm sure people just say it as a throwaway line without any meaning since they've got nothing individual to add to the conversation.

I'm not sure what exactly is being put into perspective. People are not stupid, they know that people dying is sad but also are aware it happens every day. We are not shielded from the notion of death, we see it every day on the news, often see realistic and sometimes disturbing depictions of it in films, and most people will probably have known someone who is now no longer with us.

If it's supposed to mean that sport isn't important because people can die then that's stupid as well. People WILL die, it's not a possibility, it's an inevitability. It's not one or the other, it's not about sport being more important than life, there is no choice. Besides, let's be fair, when we lose a game next season nobody is going to be thinking 'well, it's ok, because at least I'm not dead'. Life is about being emotional, having feeling, not just about existing. No amount of deaths will change my perspective of that.

I wish people wouldn't make out it's like a life versus passions thing. People generally appreciate & respect the power of death, but they don't need to be ruled by the fear of it. People's passions and the things they feel strongly about, whatever they may be, shouldn't be undermined because of the inevitability of death.

Really puts things in perspective

The phrase 'puts everything into perspective' when somebody dies, especially in the context of a sporting event.

It's so overused and I'm sure people just say it as a throwaway line without any meaning since they've got nothing individual to add to the conversation.

I'm not sure what exactly is being put into perspective. People are not stupid, they know that people dying is sad but also are aware it happens every day. We are not shielded from the notion of death, we see it every day on the news, often see realistic and sometimes disturbing depictions of it in films, and most people will probably have known someone who is now no longer with us.

If it's supposed to mean that sport isn't important because people can die then that's stupid as well. People WILL die, it's not a possibility, it's an inevitability. It's not one or the other, it's not about sport being more important than life, there is no choice. Besides, let's be fair, when we lose a game next season nobody is going to be thinking 'well, it's ok, because at least I'm not dead'. Life is about being emotional, having feeling, not just about existing. No amount of deaths will change my perspective of that.

I wish people wouldn't make out it's like a life versus passions thing. People generally appreciate & respect the power of death, but they don't need to be ruled by the fear of it. People's passions and the things they feel strongly about, whatever they may be, shouldn't be undermined because of the inevitability of death.

The Doncaster fans couldn't have cared less about relegation when they could see someone dying in plain view. Similarly, I had no real interest in celebrating at the game as all I could see was the man getting CPR and then being carried away on a stretcher. That's what it means.

• Like 1

When you experience it up close it will affect you of course but when it's reported it just doesn't impact on me as much.

Someone tweeted a while back to Colchester fans when they'd lost a crucial game to 'put things into perspective' because someone had died elsewhere. I know it's important but there's such a rush to give respect at times. So much so that people will often say to others that what happened to them today wasn't that bad because another individual lost their life while it was going on.

Can't help but feel it's a bit of an intrusion at times.

Edited by Harry - LCFC

At the time or just after the Doncaster fans may not have been bothered about relegation but come August it will be on their minds.

I am sure the mans family would not have wanted the last thing for him to see was for them go down.

People saying stuff like "congratulations Man City for winning the title" or just in general sports fans and commentators screaming "game over" when it's something like 2-0 with 10 minutes to play.

Or 3-0, eh Liverpool fans ;)?

Hitting children

Yes, that must be a disturbing and distressing habit to have developed. How does it manifest itself? Do you get a sudden, uncontrollable urge to lash out at children as you're walking down the street? Do you deliberately visit children's playgrounds to hand out beatings? Or have you gone so far as to run into classrooms to launch your attacks?  :ph34r:

When you experience it up close it will affect you of course but when it's reported it just doesn't impact on me as much.

Someone tweeted a while back to Colchester fans when they'd lost a crucial game to 'put things into perspective' because someone had died elsewhere. I know it's important but there's such a rush to give respect at times. So much so that people will often say to others that what happened to them today wasn't that bad because another individual lost their life while it was going on.

Can't help but feel it's a bit of an intrusion at times.

Yes, I'm sure that witnessing a death in person - or even hearing about a shocking death - can reorder our priorities a bit, even if only temporarily. But that particular cliche is massively over-used. Often just mental laziness, but sometimes it's about the speaker getting kudos from the listener by "being a respectful person": i.e. it's more about their self-image than any real feelings about the person who has died....which is rather sick, in a banal way.

An even worse cliche, which really riles me is: "Our thoughts are with his/her family at this difficult time". If somebody has died, some official or spokesperson will inevitably be wheeled out to solemnly recite this cliche. I find it massively disrespectful to the individual who has died, to their family and even to the power of death itself. A complex, living person has died, people are grieving their loss - and the spokesperson can't even take a couple of minutes to compose their own form of words to show that they recognise the significance of that?! If my tragic death is ever announced and that cliche is rolled out, please find the spokesperson, kill them - and compose some individual, meaningful words about them!

Edited by Alf Bentley

Yes, I'm sure that witnessing a death in person - or even hearing about a shocking death - can reorder our priorities a bit, even if only temporarily. But that particular cliche is massively over-used. Often just mental laziness, but sometimes it's about the speaker getting kudos from the listener by "being a respectful person": i.e. it's more about their self-image than any real feelings about the person who has died....which is rather sick, in a banal way.

An even worse cliche, which really riles me is: "Our thoughts are with his/her family at this difficult time". If somebody has died, some official or spokesperson will inevitably be wheeled out to solemnly recite this cliche. I find it massively disrespectful to the individual who has died, to their family and even to the power of death itself. A complex, living person has died, people are grieving their loss - and the spokesperson can't even take a couple of minutes to compose their own form of words to show that they recognise the significance of that?! If my tragic death is ever announced and that cliche is rolled out, please find the spokesperson, kill them - and compose some individual, meaningful words about them!

I think that's accurate (although I might decide not to take up your last piece of advice!)

It's very much the done thing to say something respectful when you hear about a death. While I'm sure there are many who genuinely mean it I often think people speak out because it it puts them in a better light than if they'd said nothing.

Carrier bags. Why have shops made them lighter? I get they try and get people to bring their own bags but I just don't agree. Earlier today, went in Sainsburys got a few things, didn't even get out the shop and the bag split. Milk all over the place. 

Carrier bags. Why have shops made them lighter? I get they try and get people to bring their own bags but I just don't agree. Earlier today, went in Sainsburys got a few things, didn't even get out the shop and the bag split. Milk all over the place. 

NO POINT CRYING OVER THAT MATE

#banter #itsouryear #2k14 #mtwgcomedyclassic #foxestalk #instatalk #foxestweet #twitterclarets

Just as well he hadn't bought any fish, or there might have been milk all over the plaice. Then he'd have really had to batter them.

#bunter #itsourround #alfcheesystandards #foxesbanter

Going back to my point though...

Sainsburys carrier bag was lighter (to encourage people to bring their own bags)

So the bag split and milk went all over the shop floor

They then replaced it with the same product (very nice of them but I would have flipped if they wouldn't have)

So, they'e actually lost out trying to stop people using carrier bags. They could have sold that milk to someone else instead of having to give it me for free.

Just give us better bags! 

And I know some people might think bring your own, in which I do at times, but not when I'm on the way back from somewhere with no bags on me.

I don't know where Miquel The Work Geordie has been hiding but he's had me in stitches on the throne this arvo.

I know right, back with a bang. Although he is probably asleep now after all the work he put in earlier. 

• Like 1

NO POINT CRYING OVER THAT MATE

#banter #itsouryear #2k14 #mtwgcomedyclassic #foxestalk #instatalk #foxestweet #twitterclarets

i'm mighty glad you chose today to return because i couldn't have coped in this fu cking 9 hour long online queue without posts like this. love you xxx. 

I'll tell you what grinds my gears, when you are eating a pizza and it has massive pieces of pepperoni or salami on it and you take a bite but your teeth can't go through a piece to break it up and you either end up with a mouth full of hot meat (no homo) or a big piece of meat on your lap (no homo) and then no more topping on your slice. 

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 2

Guest MattP

I know this was mentioned a few weeks ago but again - the enforced ridiculous over the top news coverage being given to women's sports on our news stations.

Flicked off Sky Sports News as they wouldn't shut up about it and flicked onto "sportswomen" - then turned onto the BBC and they were harping on about womens football on there as well.

Not everyone in this country is obsessed with race, gender etc If something is good quality and entertaining people will watch it )hence the viewing figures women's tennis gets), no matter how much you try and brainwash people into thinking womens cricket or football is anywhere near as good or exciting as the mens you aren't going to pull it off. The patronising commentary is more sexist than anything.

Can't we just have some sort of equality channel where they shove all this nonsense along with Peter Herbert, Garth Crooks etc so those who get a kick out of this watch it and the rest of us can just get on with our lives in a normal way.