Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

As if it's not enough for greedy public sector workers to take a day off from doing nothing, they've picketed the road outside their building causing absolute traffic chaos for the rest of us just trying to earn a living. Wish the army would bring in a tank and mow tthe disgusting little rats down. Filthy, selfish fvcking scum.

As if it's not enough for greedy public sector workers to take a day off from doing nothing, they've picketed the road outside their building causing absolute traffic chaos for the rest of us just trying to earn a living. Wish the army would bring in a tank and mow tthe disgusting little rats down. Filthy, selfish fvcking scum.

lol

Damn those workers standing up for their rights. Greedy feckers, we should all go back to how it was back in the 18th century.I

The government is trying to make most pay more and work longer for less, a workforce whose living standards have already been squeezed by pay freezes, protecting pay and conditions is essential.

I don't agree with the striking but that's not what has ground mine gears today, it was the way the stopped all the traffic on a busy commuter Road at rush hour

Damn those workers standing up for their rights. Greedy feckers, we should all go back to how it was back in the 18th century.

The government is trying to make most pay more and work longer for less, a workforce whose living standards have already been squeezed by pay freezes, protecting pay and conditions is essential.

Yes damn the Government for trying to get people who are paid better than their private sector counterparts pay a fair amount into their pensions.

• Like 1

Yes damn the Government for trying to get people who are paid better than their private sector counterparts pay a fair amount into their pensions.

Yep that's the only reason their striking. lol Such a simplistic view, bigger picture Jon.

Edited by purpleronnie

They are striking becuase they are being pushed to save money while delivering a decent service. I spend my life doing this in my organisation in the private sector. You know what? It works. They need to quit whinging and get on with it.

Damn those workers standing up for their rights. Greedy feckers, we should all go back to how it was back in the 18th century.

Unlike the rest of us who haven't seen pay-rises recently (as examples: my mums not had one for 5 years, my dad for 2 years, I've just had one but only because I legally had to have one for turning 21), whose pensions are what we pay in and who would have to work longer than them anyway... I've got nothing against teachers, I plan to become one, but all these protests ignore that every ****er else is in the same boat.

I've sympathy for fire-fighters, they shouldn't be forced to work actively until 68, because your average 60+ person is not going to be fit enough for such a strenous job, but all this "we've not had a pay-rise for 3 years, we're being forced to have pensions like private sector workers" just reeks of false entitlement.

Unlike the rest of us who haven't seen pay-rises recently (as examples: my mums not had one for 5 years, my dad for 2 years, I've just had one but only because I legally had to have one for turning 21), whose pensions are what we pay in and who would have to work longer than them anyway... I've got nothing against teachers, I plan to become one, but all these protests ignore that every ****er else is in the same boat.

I've sympathy for fire-fighters, they shouldn't be forced to work actively until 68, because your average 60+ person is not going to be fit enough for such a strenous job, but all this "we've not had a pay-rise for 3 years, we're being forced to have pensions like private sector workers" just reeks of false entitlement.

So because people are worse off they should be grateful and shouldn't push for better? If some workers unions are weak or have none, then blame yourselves for not fighting for more.

And as stated before this isn't just a pension issue.

Don't be fooled into thinking being a fireman is a strenuous job. I know quite a few fireman & they're all overweight & underworked. They see some things that I wouldn't like to deal with, but then I never chose to be a fireman & I will never earn what they earn. If I worked as 'strenuously' as they do, I would never get anything done.

So because people are worse off they should be grateful and shouldn't push for better? If some workers unions are weak or have none, then blame yourselves for not fighting for more.

And as stated before this isn't just a pension issue.

Well no, and I support pay rising in line with the rise in the cost of living at the very least, but I'm fed up of the strikers I've heard on the news complaining that they've not had a pay-rise in a couple of years, and they're not getting a final salary as pension any more, and then complaining that we're not all in it together - we are. Financially everything is shit for the majority of workers, acting like the private sector is getting a great deal while they're being punished just serves to piss people off.

As for not fighting enough - I don't have a union; I don't get solidarity in my actions. If I decide to strike, I get shown the door, simple as.

If teachers want to protest about Gove, go for it - the guy doesn't have a clue about education, but all I've heard today from strikers being interviewed is "we're not getting paid enough". Frankly I don't think you're the right person to be a teacher/fire fighter/nurse if you're just in it for the money: if they were predominately about working conditions, and constantly having the rug pulled out from under them, great, I'm right behind them, but that's not what the most I've heard from have been about.

I generally don't like the protests either, they get hijacked too easily. I was on the NUS one in 2012 and a load of twats turned that from protesting about cuts to education (which I oppose) to demanding the destruction of Israel and giving the Palestinians their land back (I think both sides are ***** and don't support either side).

Don't be fooled into thinking being a fireman is a strenuous job. I know quite a few fireman & they're all overweight & underworked. They see some things that I wouldn't like to deal with, but then I never chose to be a fireman & I will never earn what they earn. If I worked as 'strenuously' as they do, I would never get anything done.

I'd have expected firefighters to have to be at their physical peak to actually fight fires, but ok then.

Teachers feeling ****ing hard done by.

Talks of a 1% pay rise? Better than my pay rise last year, better than the rise I probably won't get this year, what do I do? What do I have to do? Get on with it, work more hours, on a par or maybe more than teachers do, oh and I don't get all that holiday time either.

What about the parents that have to lose out on pay cos they need to have a day of work to look after the kids?

The curriculum? It's not good enough? Well it certainly isn't if kids can't learn cos your bleeding striking.

Will these teachers and schools be fined for causing a day off for kids? Doubt it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they should just suck it up and get on with it but everyone is in the same boat, and I for one (and many others agree) don't have any sympathy for teachers.

It not as if it's once in a blue moon either there, I seem to be posting about this more and more often, seems to be once every month or two.

I'm sick of the 'look at me, I'm a teacher, I'm better than you and I deserve better, feel sorry for me, please'. **** off!

Made me laugh today, my mum works in a school as a helper, only an hour or two a day, abit of pockets money for her, helps her out, helps the school out, someone she works with has a small child, who couldn't go school today but the head teacher requested my mum and who she works with went in for there hour or two to clean, when tr person she works with question well what about my child the head pretty much said well I want you in regardless, this women had to take the child with her, ****ing pathetic,

Teachers feeling ****ing hard done by.

Talks of a 1% pay rise? Better than my pay rise last year, better than the rise I probably won't get this year, what do I do? What do I have to do? Get on with it, work more hours, on a par or maybe more than teachers do, oh and I don't get all that holiday time either.

What about the parents that have to lose out on pay cos they need to have a day of work to look after the kids?

The curriculum? It's not good enough? Well it certainly isn't if kids can't learn cos your bleeding striking.

Will these teachers and schools be fined for causing a day off for kids? Doubt it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they should just suck it up and get on with it but everyone is in the same boat, and I for one (and many others agree) don't have any sympathy for teachers.

It not as if it's once in a blue moon either there, I seem to be posting about this more and more often, seems to be once every month or two.

I'm sick of the 'look at me, I'm a teacher, I'm better than you and I deserve better, feel sorry for me, please'. **** off!

Made me laugh today, my mum works in a school as a helper, only an hour or two a day, abit of pockets money for her, helps her out, helps the school out, someone she works with has a small child, who couldn't go school today but the head teacher requested my mum and who she works with went in for there hour or two to clean, when tr person she works with question well what about my child the head pretty much said well I want you in regardless, this women had to take the child with her, ****ing pathetic,

In fairness, 1% is piddly when MPs get 11%, and the curriculum is just generally shit - them going in today wouldn't change that. Also, while 12 weeks holiday a year and working 9-3 sounds nice, it's just that - a sound. It's not the case, Teachers work later than your average shift, often have to take their work home with them, and spend a fair bit of the holidays having to retrain to jump through ofsted hoops.

In fairness, 1% is piddly when MPs get 11%, and the curriculum is just generally shit - them going in today wouldn't change that. Also, while 12 weeks holiday a year and working 9-3 sounds nice, it's just that - a sound. It's not the case, Teachers work later than your average shift, often have to take their work home with them, and spend a fair bit of the holidays having to retrain to jump through ofsted hoops.

Better than 0% in 2 years, like me.

As for in comparison to MP's getting 11% well i'm afraid that is the case across pretty much everyone, it's not right, far from it, and I agree it shouldn't be happening, but would the teachers be happy if the MP's rise were capped/reduced? I doubt it, they still moan no doubt.

The curriculum, in fairness I cannot speak for, I do not have any dealing with it so wouldn't be fair for me to have an opinion on it, however one the news some women said it was 'so hard to teach without pupils getting bored' well surely it's up to the teacher (Or they have some input and 'tactics' of teaching) to make it exciting and grab their attention? What is wrong with curriculum exactly anyway out of intrest? At the end of the day if they have to learn these things, they have to learn it, surely?

Retraining for offsted, well i'm afraid H&S and 'red tape' obsticles I have to get round costing me alot of time, effort and money.

12 weeks holiday, working 9-3, does sound nice, taking work home with you, not so good, but like I always say in these debates, they knew what they were going into when they went down that career route,

Just like I knew what I was going doing 12 hour+ shifts daily, including weekends, sometimes working nights, being on call, when I picked my career path that's not a moan by the way, I very rarely moan about my job, if I did i'd get out, it is purely just a comparison.

Edited by Matt

That's not true I'm afraid. It has been shown through analysis of self submitted teachers working hours that they work less hours per working week than other professionals on similar pay scales, and that's not including the holidays which are at least double the average.

A 1% payrise is not awful when inflation is less than 2%. Plus I believe most teachers are on rising scales which give them an additional payrise on top of the 1%, meaning most of them are getting payrises well above inflation.

But I suppose we shouldn't let the facts get in the way of an opportunity to play the victim. Especially for teachers, it's not like they're supposed to be role models or anything.

Better than 0% in 2 years, like me.

As for in comparison to MP's getting 11% well i'm afraid that is the case across pretty much everyone, it's not right, far from it, and I agree it shouldn't be happening, but would the teachers be happy if the MP's rise were capped/reduced? I doubt it, they still moan no doubt.

The curriculum, in fairness I cannot speak for, I do not have any dealing with it so wouldn't be fair for me to have an opinion on it, however one the news some women said it was 'so hard to teach without pupils getting bored' well surely it's up to the teacher (Or they have some input and 'tactics' of teaching) to make it exciting and grab their attention? What is wrong with curriculum exactly anyway out of intrest? At the end of the day if they have to learn these things, they have to learn it, surely?

Retraining for offsted, well i'm afraid H&S and 'red tape' obsticles I have to get round costing me alot of time, effort and money.

12 weeks holiday, working 9-3, does sound nice, taking work home with you, not so good, but like I always say in these debates, they knew what they were going into when they went down that career route,

Just like I knew what I was going doing 12 hour+ shifts daily, including weekends, sometimes working nights, being on call, when I picked my career path that's not a moan by the way, I very rarely moan about my job, if I did i'd get out, it is purely just a comparison.

Children have the attention span of a gnat, keeping their attention is hard enough, but it's not as simple as them finding tactics to keep the interest, part of the problem is that the curriculum isn't set up to keep any interest - learning by rote doesn't help, when they're just repeatedly told the same thing over and over again to pass exams, that just causes people to tune out - what you need is a varied curriculum and a different assessment method rather than "you need to know this, you need to say it this way" day in day out.

It's not 12 weeks holiday and working 9-3 though, that was my point - kids get that, but teachers are often in beyond 3 and in before 9, likewise they spend a lot of the school holiday working.

That's not true I'm afraid. It has been shown through analysis of self submitted teachers working hours that they work less hours per working week than other professionals on similar pay scales, and that's not including the holidays which are at least double the average.

A 1% payrise is not awful when inflation is less than 2%. Plus I believe most teachers are on rising scales which give them an additional payrise on top of the 1%, meaning most of them are getting payrises well above inflation.

But I suppose we shouldn't let the facts get in the way of an opportunity to play the victim. Especially for teachers, it's not like they're supposed to be role models or anything.

Try again - teachers work on average 50 to 60 hour weeks, with more unpaid overtime than other professions.

1% is pretty poor when it's below the rate at which the cost of living is rising (in the UK, RPI has on average been around 2.7% over the past 4 years).

Children have the attention span of a gnat, keeping their attention is hard enough, but it's not as simple as them finding tactics to keep the interest, part of the problem is that the curriculum isn't set up to keep any interest - learning by rote doesn't help, when they're just repeatedly told the same thing over and over again to pass exams, that just causes people to tune out - what you need is a varied curriculum and a different assessment method rather than "you need to know this, you need to say it this way" day in day out.

It's not 12 weeks holiday and working 9-3 though, that was my point - kids get that, but teachers are often in beyond 3 and in before 9, likewise they spend a lot of the school holiday working.

Agreed about the curriculum point and as I always say in this debate when I was at school, I couldn't leave early go to college part of the week to learn what I wanted to do, do something productive towards my career, no, because I was a 'good' kid I had to stop in school, unlike the 'bad' kids who got sent to college for part of the week just to get them out the way - when if they let me do that it would have been much more beneficial and productive towards my career.

I know it's not 12 week holidays and working 9-3, I said sounds very nice, in agreement of your point, however like I said they knew that when choosing the career path, if not they were very naive - ironically like my 'prejudice' (I'll admit that) towards a majority of teachers, very naive, very 'wrapped up in their own little world', very much lacking in common sense. I'm not saying all teachers are like that but from my dealings and teachers I know the majority are so.

Try again - teachers work on average 50 to 60 hour weeks, with more unpaid overtime than other professions.

1% is pretty poor when it's below the rate at which the cost of living is rising (in the UK, RPI has on average been around 2.7% over the past 4 years).

50 hours per week for ordinary teachers. Which as I say, is less than most other professionals on similar salaries, and is considered normal in any private sector job regardless of level. The fact is, as that document shows, teachers aren't working any more than average, not including holidays of which they get substantially more. No matter how much they might protest, teachers really aren't getting a bad deal.

50 hours per week for ordinary teachers. Which as I say, is less than most other professionals on similar salaries, and is considered normal in any private sector job regardless of level. The fact is, as that document shows, teachers aren't working any more than average, not including holidays of which they get substantially more. No matter how much they might protest, teachers really aren't getting a bad deal.

So what? Just because the public sector settle for it why should everyone else, that attitude just doesn't change anything.