Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

So what? Just because the public sector settle for it why should everyone else, that attitude just doesn't change anything.

Because the country doesn't have an infinite supply of money and I like to see it spent efficiently. A few days ago you were moaning about the NHS not being able to afford expensive advanced radiotherapy treatments, now you're supporting teachers getting paid more. Where exactly do you propose all of this money is going to come from?

Because the country doesn't have an infinite supply of money and I like to see it spent efficiently. A few days ago you were moaning about the NHS not being able to afford expensive advanced radiotherapy treatments, now you're supporting teachers getting paid more. Where exactly do you propose all of this money is going to come from?

You think that it will cripple the country by giving them a little extra? Get real. If that was the case no-one would ever get a increase in pay or pension.

As for your ridiculas reach that somehow helping teachers will stop more radiotherapy machines, give me a break, i pointed out that it costs the nhs more in future treatments because of the cuts not less.

• Like 2

Better than 0% in 2 years, like me.

As for in comparison to MP's getting 11% well i'm afraid that is the case across pretty much everyone, it's not right, far from it, and I agree it shouldn't be happening, but would the teachers be happy if the MP's rise were capped/reduced? I doubt it, they still moan no doubt.

The curriculum, in fairness I cannot speak for, I do not have any dealing with it so wouldn't be fair for me to have an opinion on it, however one the news some women said it was 'so hard to teach without pupils getting bored' well surely it's up to the teacher (Or they have some input and 'tactics' of teaching) to make it exciting and grab their attention? What is wrong with curriculum exactly anyway out of intrest? At the end of the day if they have to learn these things, they have to learn it, surely?

Retraining for offsted, well i'm afraid H&S and 'red tape' obsticles I have to get round costing me alot of time, effort and money.

12 weeks holiday, working 9-3, does sound nice, taking work home with you, not so good, but like I always say in these debates, they knew what they were going into when they went down that career route,

Just like I knew what I was going doing 12 hour+ shifts daily, including weekends, sometimes working nights, being on call, when I picked my career path that's not a moan by the way, I very rarely moan about my job, if I did i'd get out, it is purely just a comparison.

Fvck off. Fvck right off. 9 - 3? You're taking the piss.

Just finished my PGCE last week (so I guess I'm a qualified teacher now). My last 8 week placement, I was working at the MINIMUM an 80 hour week. In school 7 - 5 every day (occasionally I was lucky enough to leave at 4.45), working at least 3 hours each evening and at least 10 hours each day on the weekend. It was honestly hell, the worst 8 weeks of my life. Yeah, you get "holidays", but only in the same way that you'd say someone who is self-employed is on holiday all the time.

My friend just finished his teaching degree at the same time as me, and now has no intentions of going into teaching, because it's a ridiculously stressful and under appreciated career, with a crappy workload. I still haven't made up my mind whether I will carry on to do it myself, this year has been so bad. My girlfriend just finished her first year of teaching, and probably works a 70 hour week.

Makes me genuinely angry when people start spouting this bollocks, when they have no clue what they are talking about whatsoever. There's a reason teaching has such a high drop out rate, and it's not because it's such a easy and relaxed job.

I'm so predictable - I always bite when people make comments like this.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 1

You think that it will cripple the country by giving them a little extra? Get real. If that was the case no-one would ever get a increase in pay or pension.

As for your ridiculas reach that somehow helping teachers will stop more radiotherapy machines, give me a break, i pointed out that it costs the nhs more in future treatments because of the cuts not less.

Obviously, when you've got a limited supply of money, giving some people more is going to mean others get less. Basic, basic stuff.

As for not using radiotherapy ending up costing more, I did a fair bit of reading on that topic and saw nothing to that effect. They cost tens of thousands of pounds per use. Cancer generally goes one of two ways fairly quickly, neither requires expensive ongoing treatment.

Just finished my PGCE last week (so I guess I'm a qualified teacher now). My last 8 week placement, I was working at the MINIMUM an 80 hour week. In school 7 - 5 every day (occasionally I was lucky enough to leave at 4.45), working at least 3 hours each evening and at least 10 hours each day on the weekend. It was honestly hell, the worst 8 weeks of my life. Yeah, you get "holidays", but only in the same way that you'd say someone who is self-employed is on holiday all the time.

My friend just finished his teaching degree at the same time as me, and now has no intentions of going into teaching, because it's a ridiculously stressful and under appreciated career, with a crappy workload. I still haven't made up my mind whether I will carry on to do it myself, this year has been so bad. My girlfriend just finished her first year of teaching, and probably works a 70 hour week.

Makes me genuinely angry when people start spouting this bollocks, when they have no clue what they are talking about whatsoever. There's a reason teaching has such a high drop out rate, and it's not because it's such a easy and relaxed job.

Here we go lol

If you're working 80 hours then you're working 30 more than an average teacher.

I take it you never read my post after that one you've picked where I said I was agreed to his 9-3 does sound nice, but it is just that - sound, I admit I didn't make that clear in my original post but the point remains - you obviously never read my post after it.

As for 80 hours, i've had to do close to a few of those in the past, in a row, consistantly, not quite 80 but in the mid 70's, deadlines to meet to avoid hefty fines on jobs, yes, if we don't meet deadlines it costs us finacially, not me per se, but if my company makes no money sooner or later I don't have a job, so kinda does effect me.

On the average week I do between 50 and 60 though, week in, week out, anyway I ain't getting into this i'm better than you because I do more hours bullshite.

If you didn't know what you were going into when you picked your career path atleast you're doing the charitably thing warning future generations, i'm almost certain there won't be a shortage in the profession though.

Edited by Matt

Obviously, when you've got a limited supply of money, giving some people more is going to mean others get less. Basic, basic stuff.

As for not using radiotherapy ending up costing more, I did a fair bit of reading on that topic and saw nothing to that effect. They cost tens of thousands of pounds per use. Cancer generally goes one of two ways fairly quickly, neither requires expensive ongoing treatment.

Yep I'm sure the government have zero money to give workers, yep no question they never waste a pound. Basic basic bias defending.

Maybe the NHS shouldn't use any radiotheapy machines or any new procedure that helps.

Baffling.

Do you ever disagree with the tories?

• Like 1

I didn't. Nor did I strike today or any other day based on flimsy claims about excessive working in an attempt to get my hands on more public money. So I'm not sure how what I do is relevant?

I bet you would always turn down any pay increase or improved working conditions.

• Like 1

Yep I'm sure the government have zero money to give workers, yep no question they never waste a pound. Basic basic bias defending.

Maybe the NHS shouldn't use any radiotheapy machines or any new procedure that helps.

Baffling.

There you go bringing party politics into it again. Labour didn't even install the radiotherapy machines because they were too expensive. The tories have at least installed them and used them to some degree. A vast improvement. If you think the government has a surplus ready to be spent then you must not have been following the news for the last decade.

I didn't. Nor did I strike today or any other day based on flimsy claims about excessive working in an attempt to get my hands on more public money. So I'm not sure how what I do is relevant?

Because nobody takes what you have to say seriously, as you are a contemptuous troll, making deliberately antagonising statements, with no indication of where your mighty experience of all things everything comes from.

• Like 4

Because nobody takes what you have to say seriously, as you are a contemptuous troll, making deliberately antagonising statements, with no indication of where your mighty experience of all things everything comes from.

Did you not see the link the doctor posted, the one that cconfirms teachers work 50 hours per week? How can I be trolling when I'm pointing out facts?

There you go bringing party politics into it again. Labour didn't even install the radiotherapy machines because they were too expensive. The tories have at least installed them and used them to some degree. A vast improvement. If you think the government has a surplus ready to be spent then you must not have been following the news for the last decade.

The difference is moose I knocked labour sometimes, and I have agreed with tories sometimes but you seem to defend everything the tories do.

• Like 1

Did you not see the link the doctor posted, the one that cconfirms teachers work 50 hours per week? How can I be trolling when I'm pointing out facts?

This the same bullshit on repeat from the previous thread. Quit avoiding and sidestepping, do tell us all where you longstead experience of all things public sector comes from, that you can continue to spout your bollocks. And your temp work doesn't count.

• Like 2

On average, all school teachers report working over 50 hours per week, with primary and secondary school headteachers reporting more than 60 hours.

This the same bullshit on repeat from the previous thread. Quit avoiding and sidestepping, do tell us all where you longstead experience of all things public sector comes from, that you can continue to spout your bollocks. And your temp work doesn't count.

What about his days when he was a student and sucking cock for a living?
  • Like 1

Baffling.

Of course he doesn't. He would have to admit that they are human.

I don't claim to have first hand experience of teacher's working hours, I'm merely presenting the facts from a credible source that are totally at odds with the usual claims teachers make when attempting to justify striking. If anyone has a better source of information to inform this debate then I'm all ears. Until then I'll go on believing that teachers don't work any more hours on average than other professionals on similar salaries. It's as simple as that.

I don't know why you think I'm trolling. I have even said in other threads that I think the teaching profession should pay higher salaries to attract better talent while working harder to weed out the dross. All I'm saying here is that I don't believe they have anywhere near enough of a legitimate complaint to justify striking, and it seems to me as though it is rather obviously motivated by greed, which is pretty poor behaviour from people in their position. "It's all about the kids" - well obviously not.

The difference is moose I knocked labour sometimes, and I have agreed with tories sometimes but you seem to defend everything the tories do.

That is because you get your news from various sources not just the BBC or Government backed publications.

Edited by Rincewind