Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

MP's All parties.

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2014/07/18/parliamentary-debate-on-autism-and-education-just-11-mps/

This gives information on your MP's activities. What debates shown up for and how they voted

Mine seems to have some similar views to myself but his is a safe seat anyway. I think the Greens are more outspoken now against things the others are afraid to discuss or wven turn up if there is a debate.

Edited by Rincewind

Mosquitos 

In the past few weeks I have been bitten to shit by these little bastards.  I was bitten on my legs at least a dozen times doing an outside job a couple of weeks ago.  Last week I was woken by the buzz of a mosquito.  It died, but not before it had taken a bite of my face.  I have been bitten again during the night.  On my back, just behind my left armpit as it was not covered by the quilt.  About 5 bites in the same spot & they are swelling up a treat.  I haven't spotted it to kill it, so may get a few more bites tonight.

I don't know if some people are more susceptible to bites than others, but the missus has nothing.  She says I need to eat Marmite, they don't like it.

Mosquitos 

In the past few weeks I have been bitten to shit by these little bastards.  I was bitten on my legs at least a dozen times doing an outside job a couple of weeks ago.  Last week I was woken by the buzz of a mosquito.  It died, but not before it had taken a bite of my face.  I have been bitten again during the night.  On my back, just behind my left armpit as it was not covered by the quilt.  About 5 bites in the same spot & they are swelling up a treat.  I haven't spotted it to kill it, so may get a few more bites tonight.

I don't know if some people are more susceptible to bites than others, but the missus has nothing.  She says I need to eat Marmite, they don't like it.

You can get plug-in repellents, they seem to work in medium sized rooms. Some years back in France, over a very hot summer, I was attacked viciously by nightly swarms of the lil shits. I had many many bites including my balls and nob. Wearing clothes during the day and not wanting to decimate myself was excruciating, especially as I was staying at my in-laws. My wife sleeping next to me, didn't get bit once.  :mad: 

Mosquitos

In the past few weeks I have been bitten to shit by these little bastards. I was bitten on my legs at least a dozen times doing an outside job a couple of weeks ago. Last week I was woken by the buzz of a mosquito. It died, but not before it had taken a bite of my face. I have been bitten again during the night. On my back, just behind my left armpit as it was not covered by the quilt. About 5 bites in the same spot & they are swelling up a treat. I haven't spotted it to kill it, so may get a few more bites tonight.

I don't know if some people are more susceptible to bites than others, but the missus has nothing. She says I need to eat Marmite, they don't like it.

Responsible for more human deaths than any other creature, including other humans.

Their extinction would not significantly harm any food webs.

Get on with sorting out an eradication program, UN/WHO. There's a variety of species that we've made extinct that in no way deserved it...this one does.

Edited by leicsmac

Responsible for more human deaths than any other creature, including other humans.

Get on with sorting out an eradication program, UN/WHO. There's a variety of species that we've made extinct that in no way deserved it...this one does.

Dare I say that they very much influence every major food web and are massively responsible for global, natural balance?

Humans are supposed to die. All animals die. We may have evolved (or been created, whichever you believe) to emotionally understand the impact of our deaths but that doesn't mean we have a divine right to survive nature.

Dare I say that they very much influence every major food web and are massively responsible for global, natural balance?

Humans are supposed to die. All animals die. We may have evolved (or been created, whichever you believe) to emotionally understand the impact of our deaths but that doesn't mean we have a divine right to survive nature.

I guess it's not really the death that bothers me, it's the misery they bring and how much effect they have on the vast amounts of communities they affect at a social level. They create vast amounts of instability just by existing.

I've seen arguments both for and against their influence on food webs, but I think right now the consensus is against, unless I'm mistaken?

Edited by leicsmac

Not just food webs though, they spread diseases that then control the population size - just like the teste fly, being deadly to cattle, protects the savannah ecosystem by stopping the Masai tribe (who measure their wealth in cattle, and believe that all cattle rightfully belong to them) from spreading too far, destroying the land through constant grazing and thus killing the likes of antelopes, hippos etc.

Mosquitos are pests, and carry diseases, but they are needed to keep the population size from ballooning out of control.

Not just food webs though, they spread diseases that then control the population size - just like the teste fly, being deadly to cattle, protects the savannah ecosystem by stopping the Masai tribe (who measure their wealth in cattle, and believe that all cattle rightfully belong to them) from spreading too far, destroying the land through constant grazing and thus killing the likes of antelopes, hippos etc.

Mosquitos are pests, and carry diseases, but they are needed to keep the population size from ballooning out of control.

Surely there's a better way to control populations than that?

Normally I'm the last person to suggest fvcking with nature in this way because it does have a habit of biting you in the backside when you do but...

Guess it just grinds my gears to see the vast negative effect, both in terms of death and affecting social and cultural ideals of entire countries this one little shitbag species has.

This is what I was implying, really, only expanding that population control to people and our impact on the planet and it's ecosystems.

Normally I'm the last person to suggest fvcking with nature in this way because it does have a habit of biting you in the backside when you do but...

Guess it just grinds my gears to see the vast negative effect, both in terms of death and affecting social and cultural ideals of entire countries this one little shitbag species has.

Only if you'd like to go down the route of government endorsed murder - the way life works in mosquito heavy areas requires high numbers of children to work as hands making the Chinese one child method impossible - you've got a choice of murder people, have them die of disease, or have even more starve to death due to an oversized population.

Not being funny but am I right in thinking most of the diseases spread by mosquitos to humans are treatable / curable? Or am I being naive?

If they are then, at the risk of getting on my liberal high horse, the problem isn't mozzies it's us, again.

In a perfect world (like your one without mosquitos) all medication would be free, to everyone, everywhere, where it was needed. Surely that'd be fairly achievable if it was offset by every nation on the planet shelving it's "defense" budget?

#hippydreamer

Not being funny but am I right in thinking most of the diseases spread by mosquitos to humans are treatable / curable? Or am I being naive?

If they are then, at the risk of getting on my liberal high horse, the problem isn't mozzies it's us, again.

In a perfect world (like your one without mosquitos) all medication would be free, to everyone, everywhere, where it was needed. Surely that'd be fairly achievable if it was offset by every nation on the planet shelving it's "defense" budget?

#hippydreamer

They aren't - we can just about treat malaria (although the drugs we've got are starting to become ineffective) but the diseases like yellow fever, West Nile virus, dengue fever don't have treatments - all we can do is rehydrate people with intravenous drips to try and lessen the effects.

Only if you'd like to go down the route of government endorsed murder - the way life works in mosquito heavy areas requires high numbers of children to work as hands making the Chinese one child method impossible - you've got a choice of murder people, have them die of disease, or have even more starve to death due to an oversized population.

Yup, that's probably the most potent social consequence of mosquito borne disease. And you're right in that it's probably unsolvable now. Either way lots of people die.

#hippydreamer

No you're right in that the majority of mosquito borne diseases are treatable and preventable, so you make a good point.

If we could actually get the cures and vaccines in sufficient numbers to those who need them eradication wouldn't be necessary. But there's no money in distributing drugs that only kill poor people, right?

Edit: I stand corrected on the treatment thing. What a fvcked up situation it all is.

Edited by leicsmac

Yup, that's probably the most potent social consequence of mosquito borne disease. And you're right in that it's probably unsolvable now. Either way lots of people die.No you're right in that the majority of mosquito borne diseases are treatable and preventable, so you make a good point.

If we could actually get the cures and vaccines in sufficient numbers to those who need them eradication wouldn't be necessary. But there's no money in distributing drugs that only kill poor people, right?

Edit: I stand corrected on the treatment thing. What a fvcked up situation it all is.

With the treatment, we've got vaccines for some, but getting people to take vaccines is the issue, particularly with the power of some anti vaxxers - look at the rise of polio (a pretty much eradicated disease) in Nigeria after senior imams declared it the vaccine a western sterilisation plot. The other issue is you need to be vaccined before you get the disease, so if you're living in a region where the disease is prominent, the vaccine isn't necessarily going to be overly helpful