Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

With the treatment, we've got vaccines for some, but getting people to take vaccines is the issue, particularly with the power of some anti vaxxers - look at the rise of polio (a pretty much eradicated disease) in Nigeria after senior imams declared it the vaccine a western sterilisation plot. The other issue is you need to be vaccined before you get the disease, so if you're living in a region where the disease is prominent, the vaccine isn't necessarily going to be overly helpful

America has the anti vaxxers too. They really annoy me. They push the myth that vaccines cause autism. Despite proof they do not.

Malaria is awful. I've had it a few times. I'd only have a few parasites and I'd be screwed for days. Anti malarials for any significant length of time are horrid.

I've had friends who've had dengue, also nasty.

Reducing mozzies is a must. They can't use pesticides anymore, and it's difficult to get people to use nets properly.

And polio, Ebola... Grr.

With the treatment, we've got vaccines for some, but getting people to take vaccines is the issue, particularly with the power of some anti vaxxers - look at the rise of polio (a pretty much eradicated disease) in Nigeria after senior imams declared it the vaccine a western sterilisation plot. The other issue is you need to be vaccined before you get the disease, so if you're living in a region where the disease is prominent, the vaccine isn't necessarily going to be overly helpful

Yup. And that's another thing that grinds my gears - ignorance caused by irrational belief that causes the suffering of not only yourself but others.

Believe what you want to believe, and suffer and die if you want for what you believe in - just leave other people out of it.

Guest MattP

People who think they are some sort of freedom fighter by posting 'Free Palestine' on Twitter, yeah that will really show Israel.

Compassion fashion.

Pathetic tbh.

I'm still trying to work out what Hamas had to gain by refusing a ceasefire.

Not a lot really, it's daft.

Compassion fashion.

Pathetic tbh.

I think some of it comes from netizens natural desire to want to upset the established order (which Israel is very much a part of), but yeah, most of it is just people latching onto the latest cause.

They are probably gambling on a lot more civilian casualties to sway world opinion. Why else hide missile launchers in schools etc?

• Like 1

Buce has pretty much got it - a ceasefire doesn't help their cause, because Israel stops trying to hit them, and then people start to look and ask why their rockets are set up in civilian areas, and why they're telling civilians not to leave the area when Israel tells them they're going to strike against Hamas and to evacuate. The rockets may be Israeli, but Hamas are responsible for the vast majority of Palestinian deaths. 

• Like 1

Buce has pretty much got it - a ceasefire doesn't help their cause, because Israel stops trying to hit them, and then people start to look and ask why their rockets are set up in civilian areas, and why they're telling civilians not to leave the area when Israel tells them they're going to strike against Hamas and to evacuate. The rockets may be Israeli, but Hamas are responsible for the vast majority of Palestinian deaths. 

A sound opinion, but I'm not totally convinced that the Israelis are only targeting civilian areas in the KNOWLEDGE that Hamas are using human shields. Where were the Hamas rocket launchers on the beach that was hit killing those kids trying to run away?

Whilst it may well be the case that Hamas have weapons and launchers stashed in some civilian areas it really does the Israelis no credit that there seems to be no proof forthcoming.

It's well documented that Israel places no value on Palestinian lives.

If I remember correctly, Palestine was set up as a homeland for the Palestians in agreement with Israel and the USA. If that's the case (and I stand to be corrected) then surely it's an irretrievable recipe for conflict.

It may be a simplistic view but it seems awfully one sided to me.

Edited by Parafox

What, all of them?

What, all of them?

I've met literally hundreds of Israelis, and most of them were sound.

Of course not, I'm not stupid.

The majority of people of all races, religions, countries are generally fine. I imagine the majority of the normal Palestinians are sound too.

A sound opinion, but I'm not totally convinced that the Israelis are only targeting civilian areas in the KNOWLEDGE that Hamas are using human shields. Where were the Hamas rocket launchers on the beach that was hit killing those kids trying to run away?

Whilst it may well be the case that Hamas have weapons and launchers stashed in some civilian areas it really does the Israelis no credit that there seems to be no proof forthcoming.

It's well documented that Israel places no value on Palestinian lives.

If I remember correctly, Palestine was set up as a homeland for the Palestians in agreement with Israel and the USA. If that's the case (and I stand to be corrected) then surely it's an irretrievable recipe for conflict.

It may be a simplistic view but it seems awfully one sided to me.

They target areas where Hamas are firing from, but send advance warning if it's a civilian area. They're more concerned with destroying Hamas' infrastructure than killing the operatives at the expense of civilian casualties - the beach bombing was a tragic accident, it's not representative, just as NATO attacks on Pakistan and Afghanistan weren't aiming for civilians, but some may have hit wedding parties etc. 

It's not well documented though - quite the opposite - the IDF send advance warnings to civilians in strike regions to evacuate. Israel try to minimise civilian deaths as much as they can, Hamas actively use civilians as shields.

Nope - the Israelis and US voted against the declaration of the state of palestine

Of course not, I'm not stupid.

The majority of people of all races, religions, countries are generally fine. I imagine the majority of the normal Palestinians are sound too.

I wasn't trying to suggest you were stupid - apologies if it came across that way.

Maybe my post was a little succinct, but I was trying to determine your angle on this. (what grinds my gears) 'the Israelis', doesn't really tell us much.

They target areas where Hamas are firing from, but send advance warning if it's a civilian area. They're more concerned with destroying Hamas' infrastructure than killing the operatives at the expense of civilian casualties - the beach bombing was a tragic accident, it's not representative, just as NATO attacks on Pakistan and Afghanistan weren't aiming for civilians, but some may have hit wedding parties etc. 

It's not well documented though - quite the opposite - the IDF send advance warnings to civilians in strike regions to evacuate. Israel try to minimise civilian deaths as much as they can, Hamas actively use civilians as shields.

Nope - the Israelis and US voted against the declaration of the state of palestine

Thanks Doc, my knowledge of Israel/Palestinian history is sketchy to say the least.

I appreciate you setting me right. I'm always prepared to learn the facts where I am incorrect.

I will re-appraise my views on this.

Thanks Doc, my knowledge of Israel/Palestinian history is sketchy to say the least.

I appreciate you setting me right. I'm always prepared to learn the facts where I am incorrect.

I will re-appraise my views on this.

After reading the Doctor's posts on this page I seriously wouldn't let his views influence your opinions.