Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Spending over three hours driving to and from meetings in Omagh and Enniskillen on the hottest day of the year so far. I'd to peel my shirt off.

And country roads.

And definitely ****ing tractors!

Remixes in general can **** off, making a note play twice rather than once in a riff is not special and doesn't make it a new song or something worth my attention.

The majority of songs are essentially remixes though, aren't they? The same instruments, the same chords, just with slightly different arrangements and a different person making the sound. Ain't no new shit, only old shit with a new face.

The majority of songs are essentially remixes though, aren't they? The same instruments, the same chords, just with slightly different arrangements and a different person making the sound. Ain't no new shit, only old shit with a new face.

Not really, there's 7 basic root chords - but with major, minor, seventh, suspended, diminished, augmented and arpeggio version of those chords, there's hundreds of chords, strung together in different ways. That they draw from the same bank of chords and the same instruments doesn't make them the same, any more than us and birds both having eyes and bones makes us a species of bird.

Not really, there's 7 basic root chords - but with major, minor, seventh, suspended, diminished, augmented and arpeggio version of those chords, there's hundreds of chords, strung together in different ways. That they draw from the same bank of chords and the same instruments doesn't make them the same, any more than us and birds both having eyes and bones makes us a species of bird.

I love music for this reason. to think that over the thousands of years and in the hundreds of cultures and countries, so few tunes, songs or musical pieces in whatever form. are exactly the same. IMO it's a true phenomenon.

What is grinding my gears right now is trying to watch BBC iplayer. It is shjt. Particularly trying to watch catch up in high def. It buffers, stalls, freezes and refreshes so much it's unwatchable. I have a fibre optic broadband connection and it is only iplayer that does this.

I love music for this reason. to think that over the thousands of years and in the hundreds of cultures and countries, so few tunes, songs or musical pieces in whatever form. are exactly the same. IMO it's a true phenomenon.

What is grinding my gears right now is trying to watch BBC iplayer. It is shjt. Particularly trying to watch catch up in high def. It buffers, stalls, freezes and refreshes so much it's unwatchable. I have a fibre optic broadband connection and it is only iplayer that does this.

Unless you're Australian:

That's brilliant

Rep point to you.

Even The Beatles got a nod :thumbup:

But in reality how many of the artists targeted have real long lasting musical credibility?

Edited by Parafox

The BBC are having issues with the iPlayer. It was reported at the beginning of the week. Clearly haven't sorted it yet.

There is a documentary on BBC Four about the making of Wish you Were here by Pink Floyd. Yhr opening credits (info on screen) Says that in 1075 Joe Waters came up with a sequence of chords that was to lead to one of the most known song of theirs. It was dedicated to Syd Barrett  It just reminded me of what you have said above. It was certainly an unique sound that song. I doubt anyone could accidentally copy it.

They say Status Quo had a limited range but it was their limited range which made them different.

There is a documentary on BBC Four about the making of Wish you Were here by Pink Floyd. Yhr opening credits (info on screen) Says that in 1075 Joe Waters came up with a sequence of chords that was to lead to one of the most known song of theirs. It was dedicated to Syd Barrett  It just reminded me of what you have said above. It was certainly an unique sound that song. I doubt anyone could accidentally copy it.

They say Status Quo had a limited range but it was their limited range which made them different.

I knew their music sounded dated. I think this precedes "Greensleeves"

That's brilliant

Rep point to you.

Even The Beatles got a nod :thumbup:

But in reality how many of the artists targeted have real long lasting musical credibility?

Not many but I think they've gone for 'recogniseability' over credibility in that video. I think I remember reading an article on it before that listed some of the more creditable artists who have used it, and the list isn't short.

Remixes in general can **** off, making a note play twice rather than once in a riff is not special and doesn't make it a new song or something worth my attention.

Dance music provides so many remixes which are better than the original. 

Love watching the video of Roger Waters banging 'em in for Leicester against QPR.  :D

Love watching the video of Roger Waters banging 'em in for Leicester against QPR.  :D

I was sure i put Roger. I was watching and typing at the same time thinking I had better not put Joe.

Nicely spotted.

What about the rest of the post?

Edited by Rincewind