Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Really? I'm amazed there wasn't trouble given how seriously most folk down there take the religious attitude towards being gay.

Not in the official sense, no - religious law isn't the law of the land. But what do you call it when everyone who has power in a country has to believe in one particular belief system to have power in the first place? Theogarchy?

That's fair enough, but as I said earlier there's different ways of making someones lives difficult besides beating the crap out of them/killing them. Marginalising takes many forms other than the threat or execution of direct physical abuse.

I definitely agree that the US/Iran comparison is unfair just merely for the degree of violence offered in either country, but that doesn't make the ostracising that atheists get in most of the US right.

It's true, however the persecution or intolerance against sexuality etc is against the law, and in the work place, you in employment you have institutes and governing bodies that will fight your case.  So, open discrimination is quite low, just like here in the UK, institutional and silent racism, prejudice's, homophobia exist, but in the US the EOCC will fight your case.  In Tennessee, I know from experience that during some redundancies, all the the black employees recieved out of court settlements from EOCC investigations!!

However, in such states like Tenessee, such privilages are abused, there are racial tensions like no business, and being gay aswell, well you've been hit with a major bad stick!!!

I know I always bang on about mini roundabouts, but seriously today took my hate of them up a level... Was at a mini roundabout, it was pretty packed so I was giving way to right (as the law states), but that driver was giving was to his right and that driver was giving way to me. We were all just stood for what seemed to be ages. In the end, as always, I just thought sod it and went for it.

Great, you've turned your lights out. Good on you for telling us all.

Are you bothered about why you've done it? No?

Well at least you'll rack up the likes and Retweets eh?

Edit: I'm sure lots of people have made the gesture with the greatest of sincerity but genuinely seeing stuff posted like "Turned out my lights! #LightsOut"

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 4

Similarly

"Disgusted with the amount of people with their lights on"

Does it not occur to some people that there may be other ways to reflect on the sacrifice and tragedy?

Anyone who claims to be disgusted is a liar or a moron.

We've done it here, my Dad's gone and done it and I had no idea what was going on.

Similarly

"Disgusted with the amount of people with their lights on"

Does it not occur to some people that there may be other ways to reflect on the sacrifice and tragedy?

Awful attitude isn't it?

This respect culture we have now where those who don't speak up are "bad people" isn't healthy. People rush to comment on events like this because it's expected them of them rather than because of a genuine desire to express themselves.

• Like 4

The missus went into the kitchen in the dark and I said put the light on. She told me about this blackout remembrance thing and I said "just make sure you salute if you put the light on", she didn't so I branded her a Nazi

It's always good to have a remembrance but people thinking they are more honourable than their neighbours because they've chosen to partake in a particular (and not very well publicised) form of remembrance is ridiculous. This is not the same as breaking a public silence where it obviously a sign of respect. Don't pat yourself on the back, you've done bugger all. How about donating to charity? And keep it to yourself, then you are entitled to a bit of self-satisfaction.

• Like 2

This is what I don't like about social media culture, it's like everyone thinks that they are some sort of celebrity and everyone else needs to know every tiny detail about their lives. It like doing... Stuff (remembering the wars, going out, having fun) isn't worth doing unless you are doing a bit of self PR at the same time.

Completley agree with the above. How people use anniversaries of tragic events such as yesterday, Remembrance Day, 9/11 etc as a chance to get a few likes/retweets is embarrassing and disrespectful. The majority have zero idea what even went on 100years ago and are more concerned with whats trending on twitter, morons.

'You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye. Who cheer when soldier lads march by, Sneak home and pray you'll never know. The hell where youth and laughter go'

This is what I don't like about social media culture, it's like everyone thinks that they are some sort of celebrity and everyone else needs to know every tiny detail about their lives. It like doing... Stuff (remembering the wars, going out, having fun) isn't worth doing unless you are doing a bit of self PR at the same time.

I think some people are like this... And I rarely use Facebook anymore because of this. It's become somesort of popularity contest. The amount of my "facebook friends" who constantly post shite. Not joking, it's like every hour. I don't think everybody want's constant updates. I unfriended a load of people the other week because it's so annoying. Another thing, I don't get how people have 1000+ friends on it. Seriously, you cannot know that many people in real life.