Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Cause it's a trashy rag with shit 'reports'? It's somehow a worse version of the daily mail.

Haven't read it for a couple of years admittedly, but used to be a decent light read on the train in the morning. You can't really expect in-depth broadsheet writing from something you get for free. The Rush Hour Crush section was hilarious, basically the Stalker's Manifesto.

Going from having a really busy day to having all your plans go to pot for various reasons. Bored out my skull now and can't even go out for a walk because there's a fvcking hurricane outside.

Really, do you live in leicestershire?, apart from this morning its alright, a bit breezy nothing more.

Bloody inner city cyclists not giving a darn about pedestrians, even if they're obliged to by law.

I'm absolutely 100 per cent pro-cycling - it's got far more of a contribution to make to the future of transport than cars have, that's for sure, but as a frequent pedestrian there's a big chunk of the cycling population that do my head in.  It's depressing when in such a great position to genuinely take the moral high ground and get folk on side, that there seem to be so many dreadful cyclists around.

Users of the transport network just seem to be locked into a perpetual battle to see who can wind each other up the most

Ignorant people on public transport. 

Oh, and wives. 

Getting onto a train with my wife for a 3 hour trip.  We had pre booked seats. 

As we approach the seats (which are double seats at a table) I can see the woman from the couple who will be sitting opposite us swapping the seat reservation cards from the backs of the seats so that "facing travel" seats have a reservation saying "back to travel" and vice versa.  The couple appear to have decided that they would rather face travel than have their backs to travel and are trying to swap the tickets around to justify taking seats facing the way they want. 

The seat reservation tickets are marked "47 & 48 facing" and "47 & 48 back". 

The woman swapping the tickets was looking around conspiratorially as she swapped the tickets and didn't see that the person behind her, me, was about to take a seat there.

Now, it makes no odds to me or the missus particularly much which way we will be travelling, but I think it is really quite cheeky and antisocial for the couple opposite to swap the tickets over.  To my wife's horror, I politely ask if there has been a mistake where they have taken their places, because our ticket reservations appear to be for the direction facing travel.

Cue an embarrassed mumble about there maybe being a mix up, but they stay put.

I then start to say that's strange, because I saw them changing the tickets over.  I got as far as "Well, that's strange..." before I get an incoming look from my wife which, wordlessly, tells me that we have to sit opposite these people for 3 hours whichever way around it is so LET IT LIE, and she interrupts me to the effect that "Oh, it's OK, we can stay here." 

Cue 3 hours of meticulously avoiding eye contact and awkwardness.  And also with the other couple opposite.  ;)

Would I have been Harry the Barsteward if I had called attention to their actions and asked them to move (albeit to a seat where they would still have been opposite us) ?

Apart from breaking a bottle over the edge of the table and screaming COME ON THEN, THESE COLOURS DOONT RUN what's the right thing to do there?

I'm absolutely 100 per cent pro-cycling - it's got far more of a contribution to make to the future of transport than cars have, that's for sure

Bit ambitious? Cycling is very slow, labour intensive and limited with regards to distance. Cars are getting cleaner and more efficient all the time. It's a shame that we're wasting so much money on pandering to cyclists by ruining roads in order to fit in a cycle lane, when a bit of basic forward thinking would highlight the fact that clean cars will totally dominate future transport.

The principle is right in that they shouldn't swap reservation cards to suit them (if they've made the reservation why did they not say they wanted 'facing' seats at that time of booking?!). You're probably right to question it but given you've said you didn't really mind where you sat kind of negates why you actually did question it!

If they've come from a different set of seats then yeah you've be entitled to have a go at them and tell them to do one.

Oh, and wives. 

As we approach the seats (which are double seats at a table) I can see the woman from the couple who will be sitting opposite us swapping the seat reservation cards from the backs of the seats so that "facing travel" seats have a reservation saying "back to travel" and vice versa.  The couple appear to have decided that they would rather face travel than have their backs to travel and are trying to swap the tickets around to justify taking seats facing the way they want. 

The woman swapping the tickets was looking around conspiratorially as she swapped the tickets and didn't see that the person behind her, me, was about to take a seat there.

Now, it makes no odds to me or the missus particularly much which way we will be travelling, but I think it is really quite cheeky and antisocial for the couple opposite to swap the tickets over.  To my wife's horror, I politely ask if there has been a mistake where they have taken their places, because our ticket reservations appear to be for the direction facing travel.

I then start to say that's strange, because I saw them changing the tickets over.  I got as far as "Well, that's strange..." before I get an incoming look from my wife which, wordlessly, tells me that we have to sit opposite these people for 3 hours whichever way around it is so LET IT LIE, and she interrupts me to the effect that "Oh, it's OK, we can stay here." 

Cue 3 hours of meticulously avoiding eye contact and awkwardness.  And also with the other couple opposite.  ;)

Would I have been Harry the Barsteward if I had called attention to their actions and asked them to move (albeit to a seat where they would still have been opposite us) ?

Apart from breaking a bottle over the edge of the table and screaming COME ON THEN, THESE COLOURS DOONT RUN what's the right thing to do there?

This is exactly the sort of thing that does my head in.  There's a system with an intended purpose, and then you get people that say - sod that, I'm going to ignore it/muck about with it, etc etc.  I've heard numerous tales of people refusing to vacate reserved seats - it's beyond my comprehension that someone could consider this to be reasonable behaviour.

It's the whole play your music too loud/ride a bike on the pavement/drop litter/swear in public/sit in reserved seat on train, at gig, at football etc etc  I'm doing the wrong thing, I know it, and it's up to you to challenge me, and of course, it exploits the majority of the population's lack of appetite for confrontation

• Like 1

Oh, and wives. 

You did the right thing, as you said it doesn't actually bother you, if it did then I would have said that you/your wife gets violently travel sick when facing the wrong way and you booked those seats especially to avoid any sudden projectile vomiting, see if they want to sit opposite you then.

Really they should have just moved, you try your luck, but if you get caught you move, or if they had said sorry but do you mind terribly if we sit forward facing due to travel sickness, then I'm sure you would have said yeah no problem.

They were clearly classless, but your wife stopped you from making a slightly awkward situation into a needless scene, if it did affect either you or your wife, then you should have made them move, politely and explaining why you specifically booked forward facing seats.

• Like 2

They were clearly classless, but your wife stopped you from making a slightly awkward situation into a needless scene, if it did affect either you or your wife, then you should have made them move, politely and explaining why you specifically booked forward facing seats.

Upon reflection, exactly this.

Women, eh?

:thumbup:

Bit ambitious? Cycling is very slow, labour intensive and limited with regards to distance. Cars are getting cleaner and more efficient all the time. It's a shame that we're wasting so much money on pandering to cyclists by ruining roads in order to fit in a cycle lane, when a bit of basic forward thinking would highlight the fact that clean cars will totally dominate future transport.

Granted, for travelling any distance the car will remain king for the foreseeable future, but in terms of getting around urban areas cycling has huge potential.  As for it being slow - the 1.5 miles to my place of work from my old house would take me 25 minutes to walk, and at the peak of the rush hour I could save 10 minutes on a good day but most of the time probably less than 5, so in the wrong situation cars are hardly quick.  I would've loved to cycle that if I weren't, as most cyclists appear to be, worried about getting killed.

In the longer term cleaner cars will be great, obviously, but you've still got to have the physical space for them both on the road network itself and at their destination, and the level of congestion at present is at least a reminder that it's not infinite.  As for 'pandering' to cyclists - you'd struggle to argue that transport policy for the last half a century hasn't revolved pretty much exclusively around motor transport so the inclusion of a few cycle lanes here and there hardly redresses the balance, and let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things, they've done f all really 

It's the whole play your music too loud/ride a bike on the pavement/drop litter/swear in public/sit in reserved seat on train, at gig, at football etc etc  I'm doing the wrong thing, I know it, and it's up to you to challenge me, and of course, it exploits the majority of the population's lack of appetite for confrontation

Agreed.

On our way back yesterday, was standing at a bus stop and a couple, not that young, quite well dressed, didn't seem to be under the influence, just barged to the front of the bus queue, about 6 inches away from me,  where, leaniong against the bus shelter, they started to erm, "cop off" with each other.  I mean open mouthed snogging, grabbing bits of each other, her making noises, him lifting a leg.

It was about 4pm.

lol

Some people are just happy to not give a crap how their actions impact on others.

I just rolled my eyes and walked away.

I suppose the assertive thing to do would have been to stand there right next to them, rubbing at myself, saying stuff like "Phwoar. Yeah. Go on, son. Yeah, right there"....     

Bloody wife was still with me, though.  :ph34r:

Agreed.

On our way back yesterday, was standing at a bus stop and a couple, not that young, quite well dressed, didn't seem to be under the influence, just barged to the front of the bus queue, about 6 inches away from me,  where, leaniong against the bus shelter, they started to erm, "cop off" with each other.  I mean open mouthed snogging, grabbing bits of each other, her making noises, him lifting a leg.

Without an audience, some people I think worry that they'll just turn to dust.  To look like a MASSIVE TWAT is preferable to not being looked at at all, it would seem.

You should have started singing a romantic ballad - Celine Dion, Gina G or something.  Or that Renee and Renata one, remember that?

Pharmacists, hand them a perscription and wait 40 minutes for them to get 4 packets off the shelf.

If a doctor selects the medication and the dose, can't the dispending of medication be automated, thus cutting out the middle man?

If there are any Pharmacists on here, maybe they could explain to us why we can't walk up to a machine (why not site them in the doctor's surgery) and get our medicine, at least for common medication.

Someone wearing a white coat infront of a secret cupboard with the instructions written in Latin seems, well, a tad archaic.