Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On the subject of American English, hearing British people referring to football teams in the singular.

"Leicester is a good team. I hope Leicester wins."

It's not incorrect per se, but unless you want to sound like a douchebag, they should be referred to in the plural.

"Leicester are a good team. I hope Leicester win."

Hmm im not so sure about this, surely Leicester (the team) is a singular and therefore the correct terminology is.......... "is".......... isnt it?

Im sure one of our english teachers will soon clear it up?

Hmm im not so sure about this, surely Leicester (the team) is a singular and therefore the correct terminology is.......... "is".......... isnt it?

Im sure one of our english teachers will soon clear it up?

The name is representing a collection of people and therefore plural, is it not?

The media and tabloids obsession with printing every gruesome detail of a celebrities death. I understand that it's a public interest story, but there really is no need. It's just disrespectful and a pathetic way to sell their newspapers/up viewing figures. 

Sadly the media is spot on with what the readers want to hear about celebrities deaths. Once you become a so called celebrity the moronic adoring public and the media think they own you, and have every right to know everything about you and especially if you die in tragic circumstances. Humans are by nature voyeurs especially women ( just check their magazines for content ).

But You are right D.G the media and the media alone can change the way they report these tragedies but I won't hold my breath on that happening.  :(

• Like 1

While we are on the Yank bashing ,I hate the way the eat with just a fork like the don't have the intelligence to use both hands at once. Not to mention their ape like eating habits , shoveling in huge amounts with one fork while talking at the same time. Beasts !  Anyone seeing Jessy Pinkman eat on Breaking Bad will know what I mean.

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU

Sadly the media is spot on with what the readers want to hear about celebrities deaths. Once you become a so called celebrity the moronic adoring public and the media think they own you, and have every right to know everything about you and especially if you die in tragic circumstances. Humans are by nature voyeurs especially women ( just check their magazines for content ).

But You are right D.G the media and the media alone can change the way they report these tragedies but I won't hold my breath on that happening.  :(

Spot on.

In this day and age, being famous or having money essentially means you lose your right to privacy, except in certain exceptional cases.

Completely agree. Take Robin Williams for example, why is it not enough that he 'committed suicide', why are people desperate to hear exactly how it happened? There are people in this world who need to know that information, but the masses of The Sun readers are not one of them.

• Like 1

The media and tabloids obsession with printing every gruesome detail of a celebrities death. I understand that it's a public interest story, but there really is no need. It's just disrespectful and a pathetic way to sell their newspapers/up viewing figures. 

Do we think that the newspapers have followed the Samaritans guidance on this subject, that they wrote specifically for them?

http://www.samaritans.org/media-centre/media-guidelines-reporting-suicide/advice-journalists-suicide-reporting-dos-and-donts

Rhetorical question, obviously

• Like 1

While we are on the Yank bashing ,I hate the way the eat with just a fork like the don't have the intelligence to use both hands at once. Not to mention their ape like eating habits , shoveling in huge amounts with one fork while talking at the same time. Beasts !  Anyone seeing Jessy Pinkman eat on Breaking Bad will know what I mean.

So weird I noticed it in breaking bad too, even though I have spent consierable time in America I had forgotten how odd it looks.

I remember hearing whilst over there they see using a knife and folk at the same time as bad manners, being hunched over your food, and they also equate it with having your elbows on the table, but I do remember calls for them to stop switching hands whilst they eat, I have no idea if they have...i doubt it.

Do we think that the newspapers have followed the Samaritans guidance on this subject, that they wrote specifically for them?

http://www.samaritans.org/media-centre/media-guidelines-reporting-suicide/advice-journalists-suicide-reporting-dos-and-donts

Rhetorical question, obviously

It's hard to imagine the Samaritans thinking the press would in anyway take on board there excellent advice. I still think of all the anguish Micheal Hutchinson family must have gone through with the press stating without any foundation what so ever that he has died as a result of a sex practice gone wrong. It has now been proven that he intended to kill himself due to the depression and circumstances he was undergoing at the time. But still the media thought nothing of reporting that nonsense no matter how hurtful to his family or how untrue just to sell papers. Fvcking press I hate them.  :(

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU

While we are on the Yank bashing ,I hate the way the eat with just a fork like the don't have the intelligence to use both hands at once. Not to mention their ape like eating habits , shoveling in huge amounts with one fork while talking at the same time. Beasts ! Anyone seeing Jessy Pinkman eat on Breaking Bad will know what I mean.

I eat using only a fork, and have never even considered that it might be seen as odd.

I feel really hurt now. :(

Not to have my gears ground.

lol

Never going happen.

An example: "I just saw on Twitter that my mate's girlfriend's dad's cousin saw someone who looked like Frank Lampard in the LCFC shop. What do you think this means? Herp derp"

Cue 50 pages on how Lampard is past it and wouldn't be able to play under Pearson etc.

Edited by FoxyPV

The useless, clueless, dizzy **** that does the film reviews on Radio One.

How the **** did she ever get the job and how the hell does she get paid to watch films and I don't? She's absolutely awful.

Join the church of Wittertainment on 5Live