Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Being a law graduate. I am working in the legal area post qualification. But, to reach the area of law that I want to work in I still need to spend another £8,000+ on the LPC and then there's still no guarantee, as they will require experience. Experience that most graduates are unable to get because employers won't employ somebody without experience. And the circle continues.. It would probably be a lot easier if I had a double barreled surname and was the son of a Lord.

In the long run it may be worth paying to change your name to a double barreled name with Lord as your first. :)

Marrying a millionairess or baroness may have helped a little. :)

Edited by Rincewind

Do they have a professionally created corporate song to remind you of those values?

My ex's former employer had one.  Lines in the song did not include:

It's a den of poisonous snakes

They'd shit on your face to progress their careers

Earn a high salary

That given the hours you are expected to work

Isn't that much more than minimum wage

Woah yeah

lol

Bullshit has been the No. 1 growth industry of the last couple of decades - in employment, corporate PR, politics and even in personal relations ("You alright, Hun? I love you!" - subtext: "I wish to promote my image / self-image as a really caring person")

If it was easy you wouldn't earn the cash at the end :)

Very true. I'd imagine it's the same with most degrees, God only knows how the ones who spend £9,000 p/a on their degree feel though.

My wife spent £11,000 to take the BVC in 2008 and still hasn't found a pupillage to become a fully qualified Barrister, it's tough out there but you have to gamble to move forward. Connections help, as does the right university.

Blimey, puts the LPC into context. Yeah exactly, as with most areas of work in the UK a lot of it still comes down to who you know rather than what you know unfortunately. I know of a lad who lives in Kingston who got offered a job whilst having a drink in a bar by the Thames, simply because he knew of him via his father.

Although my niece did some work experience whilst at uni at one of the big fashion groups Laureal or something forget which and she was offered a full time job regardless of what her final results were going to be. not sure what she does but has always been interested in advertising.

I was going to say what you said David its not what you know etc but decided i had better not. :)

Being a law graduate. I am working in the legal area post qualification. But, to reach the area of law that I want to work in I still need to spend another £8,000+ on the LPC and then there's still no guarantee, as they will require experience. Experience that most graduates are unable to get because employers won't employ somebody without experience. And the circle continues.. It would probably be a lot easier if I had a double barreled surname and was the son of a Lord.

That's something I fear a bit. I'm trying to get a job now as I'm in my third/final year at Uni. Thankfully I'm quite knowledgeable in most areas of IT so I'm hoping I can apply for different jobs, not just stick to one specific area.

Edited by Fox92

That's something I fear a bit. I'm trying to get a job now as I'm in my third/final year at Uni. Thankfully I'm quite knowledgeable in most areas of IT so I'm hoping I can apply for different jobs, not just stick to one specific area.

Get some experience.  Have you tried for an internship?

Get some experience.  Have you tried for an internship?

Sound advice, but as most of those are unpaid I'm not sure how many students (especially those saddled with 9k a year debt) can afford to chalk up the necessary experience without income for an amount of time.

Catch-22 situation as has been said. Though of course not if you are independently wealthy.

Parents around the country can regularly feed their children pizza and chips everyday for the entirety of their childhood and the authorities will never step in to prevent this abuse.

Yet if you should be a loving parent who decides that you don't want your child treated by the NHS, but want to seek treatment elsewhere that you have heard could be better, and have taken great steps to ensure the wellfare of your child - then in that case, they will send Interpol after you to chase you round the continent!

As far as I'm concerned it beggers belief that the parents of Ashya King have been hounded in this way, when up and down the country there are negligent mothers and fathers doing far worse by effectively doing little or nothing to care for their kids. Interesting how all the relevent authorities are now backpedaling furiously though.

NB, for anyone giving their kids pizza and chips tonight - that's fine, I don't have a probelm with it, just when it's crappy food every night.

• Like 2

I think that's a bit unfair on the authorities. Damned if you do damned if you don't,

Not really. Who knew until they made a big thing out of it? I never knew there was a law that you absolutely MUST be treated by the NHS... MattP will be quaking in fear as we speak!

Not really. Who knew until they made a big thing out of it? I never knew there was a law that you absolutely MUST be treated by the NHS... MattP will be quaking in fear as we speak!

That wasn't the case though - the hospital were arguing that the parents had put the childs life in danger by declining treatment and removing him from hospital - which could easily be argued as severe negligence.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/politics/2014/09/02/arizona-statutory-rape-victim-forced-pay-child-support/14951737/

Bit of a tough one when you've got a child involved - punishing that because its mum's an idiot isn't really fair - but forcing a victim to pay child support to their abuse is absolutely absurd.

The new Nokia advert with the bloke who walks into an office and says...

"Honestly? It took a lot to get this business off the ground..."

1) No one asked and that is the most tedious link to a mobile phone ever.

2) Why the fvck would you tell us about your business anyway

3) NO ONE FVCKING CARES!!!!

I know it's not real, it's just an advert, but it's a shit advert with such a crappy link to the actual product and it's on all the damn time!!!

I needed that rant.

Edited by FoxesAreBlue

It could be the shittiest filthiest mongrel in the world and it'd still be a class above 80% of people who use public transport

You're probably right. Why on earth would anyone want to bring their pet dog on to the bus. Some people have no common sense or thought for other people.