Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

But isn't it the Christian view that God created humans in his own image?

So surely that means that evolution is ruled out by creationists because they believe humans were designed, rather than they evolved from great apes.

The only thing challenged by evolutionary theory is the Abrahamic belief of a literal, 'out of the box' creation: there is nothing to say that evolution wasn't the method by which creation was achieved.

Ditto 'big bang' theory: since all physical laws began after the event, it is impossible to know what preceded it. It then becomes equally valid or invalid to suppose divine creation as opposed to other theories. We simply cannot know.

• Like 1

But isn't it the Christian view that God created humans in his own image?

So surely that means that evolution is ruled out by creationists because they believe humans were designed, rather than they evolved from great apes.

Over what time frame?

If you create something, you start with basic elements and through the process of creation you produce an end result.

That could be a day or a millennia.

The only thing challenged by evolutionary theory is the Abrahamic belief of a literal, 'out of the box' creation: there is nothing to say that evolution wasn't the method by which creation was achieved.

Ditto 'big bang' theory: since all physical laws began after the event, it is impossible to know what preceded it. It then becomes equally valid or invalid to suppose divine creation as opposed to other theories. We simply cannot know.

But that's generally what is referred to when people talk about creationism - the idea of Genesis as a literal series of accounts that happened 6-10k years ago. 

But that's generally what is referred to when people talk about creationism - the idea of Genesis as a literal series of accounts that happened 6-10k years ago.

There certainly are 'creationists' who believe the world is only 12k years old.

But I'd hope that a good number of 'Church going' Christians, like myself, believe that you can't take everything in the bible at face value. Or we'd all be dancing with snakes and sleeping with our family members.

The way we perceive of our existence ain't nothing but an illusion anyway so the question of whether God exists or not is irrelevant.

An illusion is a false view or misrepresentation of actuality. If that's so, what is the reality?

But I'd hope that a good number of 'Church going' Christians, like myself, believe that you can't take everything in the bible at face value. Or we'd all be dancing with snakes and sleeping with our family members.

Some still do, ever been to coalville?.

• Like 2

I base my favouring evolution more on human nature and their development over thousands of years than science. As I said early man did not have the understanding we do but they were curious and eager to learn. They could only explain things witin the world they lived in. At first it may have only been 10 miles so everything in that area was all they knew and based their beliefs on it. it was common sense to assume a giant man was holding up the world on his shoulders what other explanation could there be?

Over the millenniums we have learnt more. When a chld asks what causes lightning there are few people expert enough in meteorology physics etc to explain fully so what must it have been like early on?

alf I'm about the same has you. I behave that way because it is who I am not because a book tells me or I am promised a after life.

People should not need to be told to be a decent person.

Now I've always wondered how christians justify a non-literal interpretation of Genesis, given taking it as a metaphor invalidates the major point of their religion. If genesis is a metaphor, the fall didn't happen, original sin doesn't exist and so Jesus' sacrifice means nothing at all...

An illusion is a false view or misrepresentation of actuality. If that's so, what is the reality?

That's the question. Could be any number of things, while we're alive we'll never know as it's beyond what we're capable of perceiving. I'm leaning towards the possibility that our real existence is currently in transit, undertaking some great journey, and what we experience here is just something we have set up to keep ourselves entertained while we sleep.

Now I've always wondered how christians justify a non-literal interpretation of Genesis, given taking it as a metaphor invalidates the major point of their religion. If genesis is a metaphor, the fall didn't happen, original sin doesn't exist and so Jesus' sacrifice means nothing at all...

Or just didn't happen exactly as written in Genesis.

Talking snake? Really?! Or some woman gets herself in trouble and comes up with a story so out there it can't be questioned?!!

The devil exists, is it a fallen Angel or our precondition towards selfishness? And from that, original sin exists, it just wasn't the biting of an apple, it may have been premarital sex, or some other sin that I am guilty of ;)

Basically, I think it all relates to our innate ability to put ourselves first. Which Jesus did not do when he died for our sins.

We can only try to be more like him.

That's the question. Could be any number of things, while we're alive we'll never know as it's beyond what we're capable of perceiving. I'm leaning towards the possibility that our real existence is currently in transit, undertaking some great journey, and what we experience here is just something we have set up to keep ourselves entertained while we sleep.

Thats interesting and as good a theory as any other. I thought you were alluding to the fact that the universe is made up of sub atomic particles and how we all see them the same way.

If the regimen of particles has to be the same for different objects how can we all look at say, a newspaper photo, in different parts of the world and see the same image albeit made from similar but differently made paper and ink?

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

Well, one out of two aint bad

• Like 2

I have been watching the Human Universe with brian Cox. According to last weeks programme there will be a time in the future when it will be able to receate life from a single molecule. All life is related. That is not to say man evolve from monkeys which is the usual argument against evolution. It is DNA carbon etc that all life has even trees. So all those billion of years ago there was just a few organisms that merged together. Depending on the evironment they evolved into different lifeforms not overnight but over million of years. It is by chance that humans came about. The right combination of chemicals. I do not understand enough of it but.  I find it more convincing than the alternative explaination. If it was false and there was a proof of some superior being scientist would have given up searching long ago. They want to learn more. Creationists are satisfied with the much more easy answer 'God did it'

When you come in the "what grinds my gears" thread expecting to have a little snigger and titter at others misfortunes from their day and you read some religious waffle that really means absolutely Jack shit. Take it to its own thread please where I don't have to view it

• Like 1

When you come in the "what grinds my gears" thread expecting to have a little snigger and titter at others misfortunes from their day and you read some religious waffle that really means absolutely Jack shit. Take it to its own thread please where I don't have to view it

Quite. Find another home for this drivel.
  • Like 1