Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Families. Can't live with them, can't live without them apparently.

First communication with my sister for months is a snide comment on FB regarding paying an extra couple hundred quid to go business class for my flight home next year, given that I've hived a fair bit away for when I return and I can afford it.

Quote, "Well that's very nice! That could have paid for your rent for a month or gas and electric for a year!!"

Yeah, I know it could. It could also feed two dozen starving Africans for a fair while or pay for a quarter of a set of intensive driving lessons.

But the last time I checked, I wasn't paying YOUR bills and it's 250 fvcking quid. And it's my money to spend.

It's the fact that the first time I hear from her in three months is that shite.

Nice humblebragging bro ;)

Nice humblebragging bro ;)

I've been taking classes from the fine exponents of the art on here.  :thumbup:

But seriously, if this had just been something she'd said in the course of ordinary conversation, fair enough. But she pops up out the blue for the first time in three months and comes out with that.

• Like 1

I am sure she would do the same if she had the money.Iknow I would. Maybe the next time she spends £50 on a hair do you could remind her that it could have been used for two match tickets down the KP.(bad example I know)  or ale for a week.

A very GOOD example, Ken! 

Except that £50 probably wouldn't get you 2 match tickets these days....and certainly wouldn't be enough to fund my weekly ale if I were still drinking (133 days dry now....nothing to be proud of, I know). Maybe you're a man moderation in ale, though?  :whistle:

A very GOOD example, Ken! 

Except that £50 probably wouldn't get you 2 match tickets these days....and certainly wouldn't be enough to fund my weekly ale if I were still drinking (133 days dry now....nothing to be proud of, I know). Maybe you're a man moderation in ale, though?  :whistle:

You gave up drinking, the same day i quit smoking ;)

Families. Can't live with them, can't live without them apparently.

First communication with my sister for months is a snide comment on FB regarding paying an extra couple hundred quid to go business class for my flight home next year, given that I've hived a fair bit away for when I return and I can afford it.

Quote, "Well that's very nice! That could have paid for your rent for a month or gas and electric for a year!!"

Yeah, I know it could. It could also feed two dozen starving Africans for a fair while or pay for a quarter of a set of intensive driving lessons.

But the last time I checked, I wasn't paying YOUR bills and it's 250 fvcking quid. And it's my money to spend.

It's the fact that the first time I hear from her in three months is that shite.

If you're not particularly well off and you just spent a decent portion of your savings on one comfortable plane journey I can see why she'd feel obliged to say that:  You're her brother and she must 'protect' you from spending your own money incorrectly.  Heaven knows my sisters would do the same which is why I've never told them how much I spent on my computer recently because it's entirely my decision to make.  That, or she's just being petty because you can afford it and she can't.  Either way it seems there's something about being related to somebody that makes it acceptable to behave in a way you'd deem rude otherwise.

Edited by Carl the Llama

You gave up drinking, the same day i quit smoking ;)

Good luck with that, then, Strokes. My Missus is now 15 months off the fags, hopefully permanent....though she stopped for 10 months before and went back to it, so no cause for complacency.

Not sure if the non-boozing is permanent with me. It's starting to feel like it, but I stopped for 14 months about 15 years ago. Might have 10-15 years off, using my time usefully, then swill myself to death to divert myself from old age!

Procedural prestidigitation (copyright the Mogg) in the House of Commons like we saw last night, I don't think I've ever seen so many back benchers angry with their own government.

Sometimes I think the Tories are trying to lose the election in 2015 and Labour are trying to make sure they don't get power, starting to believea lot of the economists predictions that whoever wins in 2015 will have to deal with such a mess they won't see office for 20 years.

Procedural prestidigitation (copyright the Mogg) in the House of Commons like we saw last night, I don't think I've ever seen so many back benchers angry with their own government.

Sometimes I think the Tories are trying to lose the election in 2015 and Labour are trying to make sure they don't get power, starting to believea lot of the economists predictions that whoever wins in 2015 will have to deal with such a mess they won't see office for 20 years.

It is incredible, 2 parties seemingly hell bent on losing the election..... to each other. lol

It is incredible, 2 parties seemingly hell bent on losing the election..... to each other. lol

It really is strange,

They are somehow both managing to head towards 20 something per cent now in some polls. Early this year Ed started to realise that 35% might just get him in so he's now decided to make sure barely anyone in Scotland votes for him to avoid that.

Whoever is in charge in 2015 is going to be the 'accidental prime minister' at this rate.

It's all very, very odd.

Hung parliament and two elections in 2015 perchance?

Hung Parliament looks a shoo in.

I don't see the point in having election after election though, I don't think a different result in which a majority is elected is going to happen anytime soon.

Hung Parliament looks a shoo in.

I don't see the point in having election after election though, I don't think a different result in which a majority is elected is going to happen anytime soon.

Agree and agree.

As I've said before, 2015 might be the year when electoral reform becomes a reality - not out of generosity, but out of necessity caused by total political deadlock.

I am sure in Russia mentally ill children have the best of care.

Agree and agree.

As I've said before, 2015 might be the year when electoral reform becomes a reality - not out of generosity, but out of necessity caused by total political deadlock.

The people are going to have to realise that compromise is a requirement of politics.

don't we have fixed terms from now on?  I'm not sure how that works over the course of a 5 year term  when all sorts of alliances can be formed and broken.

Yeah, but a minority Government would mean a vote of no confidence would have every chance of succeeding and therefore collapsing the sitting Government, which would mean an election.

Now, I'm very grateful to my boss for giving me a lift home several times a week, but in recent times it's got a bit tricky. You see, sometimes we'd listen to a bit of Talksport, or Radio Leicester, or 5 Live, and just occasionally some commercial bobbins like Fart FM or whatever it's called. Unfortunately now, he only ever listens to one station - Gem 106.

It's not for me to cast aspersions over the intentions of Gem 106's owners or employees, but given the choice I think I'd rather listen to the sound of my own knees being smashed by a shit encrusted hammer.

I know mainstream commercial radio is crap at the best of times, so my expectations are aligned accordingly, but Christ, the level of banality achieved by this particular station would have taken herculean effort. You would get more meaningful conversation and wit by putting some street drinkers on the air. Bland, I can take, but it isn't quite bland enough to pass you by - the level of insipidness is so unbelievable, it makes it impossible to zone out. I was so tense by the time I got dropped off I felt a bit ill.

And then they play "How Will I Know?" by Whitney Houston, and I begin to think maybe the Taliban's ban on music does have an upside

• Like 2

Now, I'm very grateful to my boss for giving me a lift home several times a week, but in recent times it's got a bit tricky. You see, sometimes we'd listen to a bit of Talksport, or Radio Leicester, or 5 Live, and just occasionally some commercial bobbins like Fart FM or whatever it's called. Unfortunately now, he only ever listens to one station - Gem 106.

It's not for me to cast aspersions over the intentions of Gem 106's owners or employees, but given the choice I think I'd rather listen to the sound of my own knees being smashed by a shit encrusted hammer.

I know mainstream commercial radio is crap at the best of times, so my expectations are aligned accordingly, but Christ, the level of banality achieved by this particular station would have taken herculean effort. You would get more meaningful conversation and wit by putting some street drinkers on the air. Bland, I can take, but it isn't quite bland enough to pass you by - the level of insipidness is so unbelievable, it makes it impossible to zone out. I was so tense by the time I got dropped off I felt a bit ill.

And then they play "How Will I Know?" by Whitney Houston, and I begin to think maybe the Taliban's ban on music does have an upside

Maybe, but the downside is you miss out on things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVPVYc1aew

Just opened my annual tax summary that I've had through the post today.

It winds me up enough every week opening my bleeding pay slip and seeing what the robdogs have took of me, let alone seeing the big lump sum they take off me throughout the whole year with a break down on what they are wasting it on.